No announcement yet.

The Halse version

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warren was probably informed about the Berner St. murder in the same fashion that Smith would be informed about the Eddowes murder. He went to the Commercial St. station; was brought up to speed on the situation; then went to the Leman St. station where Dr. Phillips was there making his medical report. While at Leman St. he was informed by Arnold about the graffiti and that Arnold had sent an inspector with a sponge in preparation for orders to remove the writing. Warren then decided to see the writing himself before any decision was made. Does anyone believe that Warren would not have been advised of the Stride murder at some point and not gone to the district where it happened?

The Apron:
    Long took the apron to the Commercial St. station; showed it to the duty inspector who then, went to Goulston St. to check the location. The inspector went back to the Commercial St. station; probably had ascertained more information by that time and decided to take the apron piece to Leman St. where, once again, Dr. Phillips was already there writing his report on the Stride murder (at half-past four the body had been removed to the mortuary). This was probably sometime just before 5 a.m. as Long reported that he went with the inspector to Leman St. and then, back on duty in Goulston St. about that time. Phillips, then went to the Golden Lane mortuary to give it to Dr. Brown. If the Lloyd's Sept. 30th report is accurate, Phillips could have arrived at the Golden Lane mortuary some time after 5:20 a.m. Brown was interviewed by a Lloyd's reporter around that time and was told that Mr. Phillips was expected.
    Best Wishes,
    Hunter

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888

Comment

• It was Halse wasn't it Phil?

In a clandestine meeting with Sailsbury around the back of Bevis Marks Synagogue during a pitch and toss game arranged as a cover.

Monty
      Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

• Originally posted by caz View Post
        I'm not quite sure what anyone is seeking to show here, or the relevance to the murder itself.
        Hi Caz

Also this is a pointless disussion about two sentences that mean EXACTLY the same thing.

Semantics and all that.

The version that matters is the one that was transcribed at that moment in time.......

ie replicating what was actually there with correct spacing of the lines.
        allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

• Originally posted by Stephen Thomas View Post
          Hi Caz

Also this is a pointless disussion about two sentences that mean EXACTLY the same thing.

Semantics and all that.

The version that matters is the one that was transcribed at that moment in time.......

ie replicating what was actually there with correct spacing of the lines.
          Thank you for your valued opinion Stephen, and Caz.

The whole point of this thread was to see how sharks feed, my own experiment.

And boy did they feed.

Monty
          Monty

Comment

• Birdie Nam Nam

Originally posted by Monty View Post
            Thank you for your valued opinion Stephen, and Caz.

The whole point of this thread was to see how sharks feed, my own experiment.

And boy did they feed.

Monty
            Hello all,

Sharks (roughly) in order of appearance and munching:-

Chris George, Lynn Cates, Stephen Thomas, Wickerman, Robert, DVV, Fleetwood Mac, Caz, Scott Nelson, Abby Normal, Steven Russell, Fisherman, Simon Wood, Roy Courduroy, Hunter, D.B.Wagstaff, Bridewell, Spyglass, Phil Carter, Rob Clack, The Good Michael, Cognibus.

Oh shock, horror, we have all been the subject of a little experiment.

Oh, the unoticed irony.

Phil
            Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
            Accountability? ....

Comment

• Flies and Jaws

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• I'm not English and might be completely wrong, but what srikes me in the wording isn't the double negative, but rather the definite article and the substantive "men" :

Why "The juwes" instead of "Juwes" ? Is it normal ?
                Why "the men" and instead of "are not men that..."
                Why "men" instead of "Juwes will not be blamed for nothing" ?

How does the GSG sound in this respect ? just normal ? or clumsy ? was it paraphrasing something ?

Comment

• David:

"Why "The juwes" instead of "Juwes" ? Is it normal ?"

If he was speaking not of jews in general, but instead of a group, smaller or larger, then it would be normal. Like, for example, Lawende, Harris and Levy.

That said, I don´t think "the juwes" is all that "unnormal" in relation to the group as a whole either.

The best,
                  Fisherman

Comment

• Ok Fish, thanks !
                    Now how does the sentence sound ? - I mean :"the Juwes are not the men..." is a bit heavy, no ? Does it sound clumsy, idiotic, whatever, or just normal too ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Phil Carter View Post
                      Hello all,

Sharks (roughly) in order of appearance and munching:-

Chris George, Lynn Cates, Stephen Thomas, Wickerman, Robert, DVV, Fleetwood Mac, Caz, Scott Nelson, Abby Normal, Steven Russell, Fisherman, Simon Wood, Roy Courduroy, Hunter, D.B.Wagstaff, Bridewell, Spyglass, Phil Carter, Rob Clack, The Good Michael, Cognibus.

Oh shock, horror, we have all been the subject of a little experiment.

Oh, the unoticed irony.

Phil
                      No, not all Phil.

Oh, the noted self grandeur.

Monty
                      Monty

Comment

• Bags me hammerhead.

Steve.

Comment

• Hello all,
                          A suggestion only.

The Jews are those should be blamed for this.
                          (See bloody rag, herewith)
                          All you have to do is work out who wanted it to look like a Jew was the culprit.

Kindly

Phil
                          Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
                          Accountability? ....

Comment

• Hi DVV - My French is a little rusty...however, it appears to be a story about an everlasting matchstick

Dave

Comment

• we ain't not sure

Originally posted by DVV View Post
                              I'm not English and might be completely wrong, but what srikes me in the wording isn't the double negative, but rather the definite article and the substantive "men" :

Why "The juwes" instead of "Juwes" ? Is it normal ?
                              Why "the men" and instead of "are not men that..."
                              Why "men" instead of "Juwes will not be blamed for nothing" ?

How does the GSG sound in this respect ? just normal ? or clumsy ? was it paraphrasing something ?
                              The first COULD be normal usage..the second maybe...but the whole thing (particularly with the double negative which everyone asserts was then common) seems clumsy English indeed to modern eyes, but thereagain fings ain't wot they useter be...

All the best
                              Dave

Comment

• A Minor Point, But...

Originally posted by Supe View Post
                                I have seen my name mentioned several times in this thread, so I thought I should weigh in on a couple of points.

I did, however, suggest that he may have puffed himself up a bit after the fact. That is, it is a bit tough to take that a mere constable, surrounded by various high heidyins of both forces, would loudly complain against erasing the graffito. A whisper to himself -- maybe.

Don.
                                Hi Don,

This is only a minor point, and don't mean to detract from the remainder of the post, but the description "mere constable" could be applied, with equal validity, to both Long and Halse. Police Constable and Detective Constable are the same rank (constable) but in different departments. C.I.D. officers sometimes imply that they outrank their uniform counterparts, but this is not correct.

Apologies if you were already aware of this, or if I have misinterpreted your remarks or, indeed - and this has only just occurred to me - if they were at that time different ranks (even though this is no longer the case).

Regards, Bridewell
                                I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Working...
                                X