Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Victorian photos of the Whitechapel murder sites.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Victorian photos of the Whitechapel murder sites.

Apart from the superb photo of Miller's Court, how many Victorian photos exist of the Whitechapel murder sites?

It seems odd that there are so few considering the amount of interest in the crimes back then.

Do you think there are more that exist but are in private collections ?

Any thoughts ?

Kind regards.

Dutfields Yard.

Monty
    Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Originally posted by Monty View Post
      Dutfields Yard.

Monty
      Yes of course the super Dutfields Yard photo 1900, looking at it now.

There must be more !

Kind regards

Comment

I agree.

We have the famous Our Society tour of 05 (Edwardian I know) and the decription written in regards to the Dutfields Yard photo indicates such tours and possibly photos did exsist.

A matter of time?

Monty
        Monty

Comment

Apparently a photo has been found of George Yard buildings from 1890 ?

Could anyone confirm this ? is it of the back or front of the buildings ?

Kind regards
          Last edited by toynbee; 01-15-2011, 06:43 PM.

Comment

It was found of the back.
            Attached Files
            Washington Irving:

"To a homeless man, who has no spot on this wide world which he can truly call his own, there is a momentary feeling of something like independence and territorial consequence, when, after a weary day's travel, he kicks off his boots, thrusts his feet into slippers, and stretches himself before an inn fire. Let the world without go as it may; let kingdoms rise and fall, so long as he has the wherewithal to pay his bills, he is, for the time being, the very monarch of all he surveys. The arm chair in his throne; the poker his sceptre, and the little parlour of some twelve feet square, his undisputed empire. "

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

Originally posted by corey123 View Post
              It was found of the back.
              That photo is from the 1960s ? has one been found from 1890 ?

Kind regards
              Last edited by toynbee; 01-15-2011, 07:04 PM.

Comment

Some were found from the front, but aside from the enterence, nothing to my knowledge had been found aside from that photo.
                Washington Irving:

"To a homeless man, who has no spot on this wide world which he can truly call his own, there is a momentary feeling of something like independence and territorial consequence, when, after a weary day's travel, he kicks off his boots, thrusts his feet into slippers, and stretches himself before an inn fire. Let the world without go as it may; let kingdoms rise and fall, so long as he has the wherewithal to pay his bills, he is, for the time being, the very monarch of all he surveys. The arm chair in his throne; the poker his sceptre, and the little parlour of some twelve feet square, his undisputed empire. "

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

Some were found from the front, but aside from the enterence, nothing to my knowledge had been found aside from that photo.
                  Quote from their website "Of all the Jack the Ripper Tours this is one of only a few that actually visits George Yard, and is the ONLY one to show you a photograph of George Yard Buildings taken in 1890. How do we have this photograph? Quite simply Richard Jones is the author of the soon to be published book to accompany our Jack the Ripper Tours"

Kind regards

Comment

It's news to me, the only three photos of George Yard Buildings I have seen is the 1960's one, the one of the arch, and the one on the landing.
                    Washington Irving:

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

It's news to me, the only three photos of George Yard Buildings I have seen is the 1960's one, the one of the arch, and the one on the landing.
                      The photo of the landing isn't of George Yard buildings, it is of the buildings next door.

It would appear another photo has been discovered ? I'd like to find out if it is of the front of the buildings or the back, more likely the back ?

Kind regards
                      Last edited by toynbee; 01-15-2011, 07:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by toynbee View Post
                        Quote from their website "Of all the Jack the Ripper Tours this is one of only a few that actually visits George Yard, and is the ONLY one to show you a photograph of George Yard Buildings taken in 1890. How do we have this photograph? Quite simply Richard Jones is the author of the soon to be published book to accompany our Jack the Ripper Tours"

Kind regards
                        ... and since we know it was John Bennett that discovered the 1960s photo of the back, it is true then, another Victorian photo has been found! but why isn't anyone talking about it ?

Kind regards

Comment

Its an 1890 photo of George Yard, the street, and not of the buildings itself.

Monty
                          Monty

Comment

Originally posted by Monty View Post
                            Its an 1890 photo of George Yard, the street, and not of the buildings itself.

Monty
                            Hi, but isn't that photo of the George Yard (street) from 1897 ? Its always stated as that date.

Quote "and is the ONLY one to show you a photograph of George Yard Buildings taken in 1890" ?

It clearly states George Yard Buildings...

Kind regards

Comment

I meant the 1890s, as I was working from memory.

Unfortunately I'm not responsible for the website and its content. I could mail Richard and ask however I'm sure he is busy at the moment.

Maybe you could contact the site itself?

Monty
                              Monty

Comment

Working...
                              X