Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goulston Street Graffito - A Thought!

Hi Guys,

I was ready through an old copy of Ripperologist a few nights ago and read an article about Mitre Square and the Police Beats in that location during the double event, when a thought occured to me. When PC Long found the cut apron belonging to Catherine Eddowes and then discovered the graffito "The Juwes are the men...." I thought, if the graffiti was left by the Ripper of course, could he be referring to the Police? The City of London HQ was Old Jewry, I think!

Could JTR be blaming the Police for not catching him?
    Could he have witnessed PC Harvey and PC Watkins not enter into Mitre Square fully and thus not catch Jack in act so to speak?

Not wishing to disrespect the two PCs of course but wondered what you all think!!

Cheers

Andy

interesting

Hello McNab. You have an interesting idea. Do you mean "Juwes" for "Jews" for "those at Old Jewry"?

A very old, but in my mind plausible, theory is that "Juwes" was actually "Juives"--the French word for Jews.

Tom Wescott has tried "IWEC" which is plausible, given some contexts.

I tried ruining it through the old Fenian code. (Of course, the result was gibberish.)

Keep at it!

Cheers.
    LC

Comment

Well, we don't really know if it was Jewes or Juwes. The former seems to be an honest spelling mistake while that latter the work of someone with a hidden message or a really bad speller.

I thought Old Jewry was a street, a kind of ghetto area. If so, the police angle wouldn't make sense.

Mike
      huh?

Comment

Your theory has been put forward before Andy.

If this is the case then we must ask why? A specific reference to Mitre Square or the investigation in general? If the latter then if begs yet another question why? No other murder occurred on the Citys patch.

I hope you were reading Gavin Bromleys piece.

Old Jewry was indeed the City forces HQ at the time of the murders.

Monty
        Last edited by Monty; 12-24-2010, 12:40 AM.
        Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Hello Neil,

I have a question that perhaps you can answer in connection with this thread...

Have we any known record of the policemen working for the City Police, or amongst the policemen themselves. as being referred to as "Jews" as in Old Jewry St.? (i.e. as a nickname given by criminals, locals or the police themselves, as an internal slang word)

Best wishes and a Merry Xmas to you

Phil
          Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
          Accountability? ....

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Carter View Post
            Hello Neil,

I have a question that perhaps you can answer in connection with this thread...

Have we any known record of the policemen working for the City Police, or amongst the policemen themselves. as being referred to as "Jews" as in Old Jewry St.? (i.e. as a nickname given by criminals, locals or the police themselves, as an internal slang word)

Best wishes and a Merry Xmas to you

Phil
            Jack couldn't spell. If you believe it was Jack. I don't.
            http://oznewsandviews.proboards.com

Comment

Hello NTS,

I don't believe anything. I just asked a question, thats all :-)

Merry Xmas

Phil
              Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
              Accountability? ....

Comment

That was a good question Phil.
                I confess that altruistic and cynically selfish talk seem to me about equally unreal. With all humility, I think 'whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might,' infinitely more important than the vain attempt to love one's neighbour as one's self. If you want to hit a bird on the wing you must have all your will in focus, you must not be thinking about yourself, and equally, you must not be thinking about your neighbour; you must be living with your eye on that bird. Every achievement is a bird on the wing.
                Oliver Wendell Holmes

Comment

Working...
                X