Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hotel Hanbury?

First the ripper museum now this,
    The 'Scare B&B' will open for business to brave-souls-only at Truman Brewery's Brick Lane Yard in London. The hotel is opening to mark the launch of eerie new thriller Outcast.

Allegedly on the site of 29 Hanbury Street's back yard.
    dustymiller
    aka drstrange

Interesting. There is a ghost story about Hanbury Street which turned up in the graphic novel version of "From Hell"-- supposedly a guy in the 1960s looked out his window one night to see a woman and man in LVP dress passing by his alley.

But, yes, using the site of a real murder to advertise a thriller series is very tacky. Nearly as tacky as billing one of Derek Acorah's hoax-show "live" events as "Most Haunted in Jack the Ripper's London"!
    Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
    ---------------
    Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
    ---------------

Comment

Was that Hanbury or Miller's court? It's been years since I read "From Hell".

And I agree about the tacky factor, I guess time and distance makes for disrespect. Sad thing is it will people like us who will get the blame.
      dustymiller
      aka drstrange

Comment

Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
        Interesting. There is a ghost story about Hanbury Street which turned up in the graphic novel version of "From Hell"-- supposedly a guy in the 1960s looked out his window one night to see a woman and man in LVP dress passing by his alley.

But, yes, using the site of a real murder to advertise a thriller series is very tacky. Nearly as tacky as billing one of Derek Acorah's hoax-show "live" events as "Most Haunted in Jack the Ripper's London"!

Derek Acorah.............interesting did he get any well documented facts wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by The Station Cat View Post
          Derek Acorah.............interesting did he get any well documented facts wrong?
          Oh, yeah... They were at some waxwork exhibit of the Ripper murders, and Acorah mutters something about the murder happening "right here, on this very spot"! (Uh... No, it didn't!)
          Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
          ---------------
          Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
          ---------------

Comment

Honestly, in this case I think its more size of the property than what happened at the location that lead to its use. None of the actual material for the AR promotion mentions JtR or the murders at all. Granted, I haven't seen all of the material but I have seen a fair amount and if they were thinking about it, I don't think Fox is above running with it as far as they could.
            Last edited by Shaggyrand; 05-31-2016, 07:24 PM.
            I’m often irrelevant. It confuses people.

Comment

Working...
            X