Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To everyone on here... what was your reaction when you first saw "From Hell"...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should've been darker, way way dirtier & grimier. An old man ripper is just not scary and yes I share your sentiment sdreid...keep the mystery alive it's what makes it compelling. Even show the rippers face in the murder scenes and show how disgusting the murders were but don't give the ripper name. That would be scary

Comment

An old man ripper is just not scary

On the other hand, he must know somethin' (albeit he don't say nothin').

Comment

Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
        I saw some of you mentioned other JTR movies, and while one of my favorites, "Murder by Decree" has been mentioned, no one has brought up "Time after Time"-- the only science-fiction take on this subject, and the best, in my opinion!
        I love Time After Time... one of my favorite "Ripper" movies...which is why I cannot get too upset with historically inaccurate ripper movies....well, maybe I can.. as Time After Time never claims to be the "facts" anyway….I think my favorite portrayal of “Jack” was in the movie Deadly Advice….how wonderful if that were the real solution…no spoilers just in case people have not seen the film 

Steadmund Brand
        "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

cringe'n'squirm-inducing

Hi,

I did watch the whole film [which might be a doubtful claim to pride], and it was basically ricocheting between facepalms and gut-cramps for me.

Not so much because of the inaccuracies as they concern history. That was to be expected, because
          a) it was, no, it was supposed to be based on Moore's graphic novel, and that work should be viewed more in an anti-monarchy context, which
          b) was known to me to sport the Royal conspiracy theory, and
          c) it's a big star-, huge budget-, popcorn movie, whaddoyouexpect.
          And I did enjoy Murder by Decree, despite it following the same redic premise.

Also not too much cringing about Abberline once more being portrayed as an addict [where ever this need might come from], although some. Made up for by Depp-acting in the end.

But contrary to the fimmakers' ad-claims, just about everything about this film is fake, feels fake, smells like fake, sounds fake.

Dialogue, very contrived.
          Except for Buck's Row and Hanbury St. backyard locations not at all, as had been promised, authentic looking.
          Story idiotic, nothing to do with following some basic streaks in Moore's work.
          Worst, worst, worst of all:
          Mary Kelly.
          While the other women were at least presented somewhat looking the way their ragged lives would impose on them, Mary Kelly - her hair always perfect, makeup perfect, clothes beautiful, face rosy-dolly-pretty, and ah, wonderful, what a nice sweet sugar-OD happy ending in the cottage in Ireland, where the colours are always the nicest and brigthest.

And...
          Ah, wotever...

Terrible film.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
            An old man ripper is just not scary

On the other hand, he must know somethin' (albeit he don't say nothin').
            Faaaaar fetched, Robert - but me likes!

Keep you robes on!

Fisherman

Comment

Working...
            X