This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Angel Street c. 1890

Here's a photo of Angel Street, Angel Meadows, c.1890. It looks very Whitechapel-esque, doesn't it?

Best regards,
    Archaic
    Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Archaic View Post
      Here's a photo of Angel Street, Angel Meadows, c.1890. It looks very Whitechapel-esque, doesn't it?

Best regards,
      Archaic
      What a fascinating and beautiful picture of the past. It does look 'Whitechapel-esque', haha, good term.

I think what is unappealing with cities today is visually is they incorporate modern buildings next to older ones, making a mish-mosh of a cityscape. Modern architectual features are often garish. Take for example our storefront signs. Awful.

I do recognize they had buildings from different times, 1800s, 1700s, even much older, but they all seemed to appreciate better building techniques. craftsmanship. Cornices, use of stone, more natural features. Something about them.

So nice to see a city street all in one architectual 'time'.
      Last edited by Beowulf; 05-29-2012, 06:49 PM.

Comment

• Museum of London & The Archeology of Old Whitechapel

I love archeology, and I came across an interesting article on The Museum of London's Archeology page regarding recent archeological excavations in Whitechapel. In addition to digging up bottles, marbles and the like, a large number of clay pipes were found.

Excavation of human remains from Whitechapel has shown that chronic pipe-smoking destroyed their teeth, and even created a tell-tale "notch" where the pipe-stem was habitually clenched between the teeth! (See attached photo)

Museum of London Archeology Article re: Whitechapel: http://www.museumoflondonarchaeology...ianSmokers.htm

Article about excavations at Saints Mary and Michael in Whitechapel: http://www.mymuseumoflondon.org.uk/b...ge-your-teeth/

This "Mudlarkingblogspot" article has photos and additional info about the ubiquitous clay pipe: http://mudlarking.blogspot.com/2012/03/clay-pipes.html

This Flickr stream has a nice photo of some finds excavated at the Swanlea school in whitechapel- animal bones, pottery, oyster shells and clay pipes: http://www.flickr.com/photos/louisb/5143533485/

Best regards,
        Archaic
        Attached Files

Comment

• I am sure someone has already posted these photos composited together...

RH
          Attached Files

Comment

• Hi Rob.

I don't recall having seen that composite before; thanks very much for posting it.

Best regards,
            Archaic

Comment

• Originally posted by robhouse View Post
              I am sure someone has already posted these photos composited together...

RH
              You really get the feeling of almost being there from this complete view. Wagonwheel marks the spot.

Comment

• Recently posted on the Spitalfields Life website, this is a detail from a brochure published in 1937 to promote the London Fruit and Wool Exchange, showing Duval/Dorset Street.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DuvalStreet 1937 Wool Exchange Brochure.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	663983

Comment

• Thanks John,

Question for you or anyone in light of the ongoing controversy over the proposed demolition of that building: Why is the London Fruit & Wool Exchange not a Listed Building?

Roy
                  Sink the Bismark

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy Corduroy View Post
                    Thanks John,

Question for you or anyone in light of the ongoing controversy over the proposed demolition of that building: Why is the London Fruit & Wool Exchange not a Listed Building?

Roy
                    I would say that a) it's not that old in the scheme of things (83 yrs), and b) that although it is a relatively handsome building, it is nothing exceptional as far as 1920s architecture is concerned.

Comment

RH
                      A very nice composite indeed Rob! I've actually done the same thing myself using those two photos, but have then done my usual trick of superimposing the whole thing into the modern day scene.

The completed montage will be in the "Double Event" booklet in the 2012 Conference delegates pack.

All the best
                      Andrew

Comment

• 1884 Photos of Victorian Life: 'Growlers, Cat's Meat & the Hokey Pokey Man'

Hi everyone.

I came across a website called 'The Greenwich Phantom' displaying a nice selection of photos Victorian street life, some of which I'd seen before and some I had not. It turns out they were taken by Reverend Charles Spurgeon in Greenwich in 1884, and he made a magic lantern slide show of them.

There's all kinds of interesting information in the article, including info about books you can purchase which contain the photos. Take a look, I think you'll like it:

Best regards,
                        Archaic

Comment

• 1930 Film: Funeral of Henry Croft, King of the Pearly Kings

Here's a 1930 silent film of the huge funeral procession that was held in honor of the founder of the Pearly Kings, Henry Croft:

Still photos of the funeral procession:
                          At+exhibition+of+film+stills+at+National+Book+Library+with+actors+Jean+Simmons%2C+John+Mills+and+Harold+Wilson+%28Prime+Minister+of+the+United+Kingdom%29

As I was watching this it occurred to me that many of the people seen in the film would have lived through the Autumn of Terror just 42 years earlier.

Best regards,
                          Archaic

PS: This Wikipedia article has some basic info about Croft and the pearly Kings

Comment

Yes, I did Rob. October 7th 2005

allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

• I knew it! Well, it is certainly an interesting composite. I assume that both photographs were taken on the same day, by the same photographer, who simply pivoted a bit from the same spot.

Comment

• Originally posted by Archaic View Post
                                Hi everyone.

I came across a website called 'The Greenwich Phantom' displaying a nice selection of photos Victorian street life, some of which I'd seen before and some I had not. It turns out they were taken by Reverend Charles Spurgeon in Greenwich in 1884, and he made a magic lantern slide show of them.

There's all kinds of interesting information in the article, including info about books you can purchase which contain the photos. Take a look, I think you'll like it:

Best regards,
                                Archaic
                                I don't think i've seen many more Dickensian photos than this. Sorry I couldnt reduce the size.

Comment

Working...
                                X