Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting. Where I live we are well into our annual winter wonderland.

Comment

• The Great Pit, Aldgate

Hi, I have a question.

I read that the 1665 Plague Pit known as 'The Great Pit' was located in Aldgate, right under the current location of the Aldgate Tube Station.

Does anyone know if that's correct, and if so when they exhumed the bodies?

I imagine that putting a Tube Station at the site of the Great Pit must have saved a lot of digging.

Thank you, Archaic

Comment

• Hi Archaic

The info I have states that during the 17th century outbreak, 4000 victims were buried there in the space of a fortnight. This was, obviously, in the cemetery of St Botolph's Church right next to the current station. Although the current church dates to the mid-18th century, there has been one on that site since Saxon times.

The bones would have been removed not only during the construction of Aldgate station but also, I suspect, during the construction of the nearby road system to the west.

PHILIP
        Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

• Just for jolly, here's a picture of the upper floors of two buildings on Whitechapel High Street extracted from a photo taken by Rob Clack from another thread. It struck me that this is more or less what 26 and 27 Dorset Street would look like if they were still standing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Whitechapel%20Road%202007.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	658192
          allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

• A barber shop in Bricklane

Click image for larger version

Name:	brick lane barbers.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	658193

all the best

Observer

Comment

• 37,000 Skeletons: Old London Gravesites & Plague Pits

Hi, Philip; thank you for answering my question about the Plague Pit at Aldgate. I've read Daniel Defoe's 'A Journal of the Plague Year' several times; it's fascinating. Life during the Plague sounds utterly horrific.

I found this Times Online article which talks about the 37,000 skeletons dug up from under London Streets, and the efforts underway by the Museum of London to study them. Apparently the plan is to choose 26 of the most interesting to put on public display.

The Times article talks about the tens of thousands of dead who "lie buried" beneath London streets, but from the way it's phrased I can't tell if they mean that there used to many thousands of bodies buried beneath the modern city or that it's known that there still are- does anybody know?

The article also states that there's an interactive map linked to this article showing you where the forgotten burial sites were discovered.
              The interactive map sounds cool; it's supposed to let you find out if you "walk over dead people to go to work".
              - I wonder if any of my friends do?

...Or maybe you only walk over the living.

For some reason I was unable to find the interactive map on the page indicated. Maybe someone else will have better luck.
              I can't help wondering if the skeleton map was quietly removed because those in the London Real Estate industry realized their customers
              might not enjoy learning that their new over-priced condo was standing on top of a pit full of Plague victims.

Cheers, Archaic
              Last edited by Archaic; 12-18-2009, 08:50 AM.

Comment

• Hi Archaic
                I coulnd't find the map either. Going to London to do some photography on Christmas day. Might have been interesting to follow the map!

Comment

• Watney Market

Here's a nice postcard of Watney Market on Commercial Road.

Happy New Year, everyone!

(Even though we are all partial to the Old Years )

-Archaic

PS: I can't wait to hear if Long Liz really went in search of Plague Pits and skeletons on Christmas Day!
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Christ Church, Spitalfields: investigations of the burial crypt 1984-1986

Following the current thread, I just thought that the following link to the Archeological Data Service's website featuring a very detailed and well illustrated report into the investigation of Christ Church's burial crypt.
                    There are downloadable reports illustrations and plenty of interesting photographs
                    [IMG][/IMG]

The link is
                    http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/proj.../downloads.cfm

Comment

• I found this lot of Gustav Dore,
                      may have been seen before, but I thought I would post it anyway..

someintersting stuff here..

best wishes

Phil
                      Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
                      Accountability? ....

Comment

• Originally posted by Derann View Post
                        Following the current thread, I just thought that the following link to the Archeological Data Service's website featuring a very detailed and well illustrated report into the investigation of Christ Church's burial crypt.
                        There are downloadable reports illustrations and plenty of interesting photographs
                        [IMG][/IMG]

The link is
                        http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/proj.../downloads.cfm
                        Fascinating! Thanks!

Comment

• Hi, Derann. That's a really cool site, thanks for the link. I love that stuff!

My personal trowel, strictly for archaeological purposes:

Best regards, Archaic

Comment

• Originally posted by Phil Carter View Post
                            I found this lot of Gustav Dore,
                            may have been seen before, but I thought I would post it anyway..

someintersting stuff here..

best wishes

Phil
                            From above link:

Information
                            Added by: Karen Trenouth

Is there any copyright attached to these pictures?

Comment

• Gustav Dore Resources Online

Hi Abyss, and welcome to the forums.

There isn't any copyright on works over 75 years old, so you are fine.

There are many many Dore collections available online; here are a two good sources if you are interested:

Dore: http://dore.artpassions.net/

Dore on the Victorian Web, a wonderful site: http://www.victorianweb.org/graphics/dore/gallery1.html

Best regards, Archaic

Comment

• Magnificent

Thanks for that Adam Walsh!!!!

Great- if disturbing 'eh xx

And BUN!!!!!!!!!! Love the first one!!!!!!!! ((((((HUGS))))))) x
                                Last edited by Suzi; 12-31-2009, 06:12 PM.
                                'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

Working...
                                X