Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible explanation for Maxwell Discrepency?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The police did have to go out and find witnesses (Lawende comes to mind), they didn't always come forward of their own accord. For some people, the East End was a place where you learned to keep your mouth shut.
    Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert St Devil View Post
      I am still waiting for anyone from the pub recalling anything in this case at all. Where are the pubfolk statements - a bartender, waitress, bouncer,... You would think that Chapman and Kelly were 'known' or 'recognized'? Or one that could confirm whether Kelly was in the bar that morning with Barnett? or serving Elizabeth Stride at the Bricklayers? Or Eddowes during the afternoon? Or martha Tabram and mary conely since they visit many pubs with these two men?

It makes it seem filtered.
      But we have so few official statements all we have are news reports.
      G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by SirJohnFalstaff View Post
        what's the difference? Dictionary says gay house was a term used to define a brothel.
        I thought you were asking a question because you did not know.
        My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
          If I remember correctly, research done by Neil Shelden of the Morgenstern's who Kelly stayed with in Breezers Hill indicated they came from Fulham or Chelsea, that general area.
          One of the brothers owned a house back there of some dubious repute?

For some reason my Kindle copy refuses to open so I can't check, sorry.
          Apparently Maran & Adrianus Morgenstern, brothers, lived in Victoria Road, Fulham.
          In 1881 their address was 43 Victoria Rd., but Adrianus is later said to be living at 31 Victoria Rd. The change of address is not dated nor explained by Shelden.

We have an account given by a descendant of Adrianus's daughter that she remembered being raised in a brothel in Limehouse. This period appears to be dated after 1884, so the family may have been operating a brothel after they moved from Fulham.

I can't find any reference to the family being connected with a brothel in Fulham, though that would be a difficult connection to make - no records are likely to exist.
          Because they were in that business after 1884, they could have been in that line of work before 1884, back in the West End.

The change of address by 1884 is somewhat coincidental with the suggested date that Kelly arrived in London to work in the brothel.
          Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
            The police did have to go out and find witnesses (Lawende comes to mind), they didn't always come forward of their own accord. For some people, the East End was a place where you learned to keep your mouth shut.
            If that is the case, it attests to two things: the weight of organized crime in 1888 Whitechapel, and the corruption within the police department. I dont know how familiar you are with the femicides that have taken place in Juarez these past decades. I wont go into detail on this thread, but its looking to be what everyone sxpected - a gang working under tha banner of a much larger organization. If that is what played out in 1888, it would be better to identify those rip gangs that everyone suggested in the beginning.
            there,s nothing new, only the unexplored

Comment

There are a few gang killings in Stubley's book "1888: murders in the year of the ripper". Interesting read.

Is it progress when a cannibal uses a fork?
              - Stanislaw Jerzy Lee

Comment

Originally posted by Robert St Devil View Post
                If that is the case, it attests to two things: the weight of organized crime in 1888 Whitechapel, and the corruption within the police department. I dont know how familiar you are with the femicides that have taken place in Juarez these past decades. I wont go into detail on this thread, but its looking to be what everyone sxpected - a gang working under tha banner of a much larger organization. If that is what played out in 1888, it would be better to identify those rip gangs that everyone suggested in the beginning.
                Hello Robert/Sir John,

I think that the gang-related angle has been significantly understated, particularly when you consider that there were a number of possible gang murders and attacks that preceded the Whitechapel murders.

Thus, in November 1888 Emily Hornsnell, who lived in George Street, claimed to have been kicked in the stomach by a group of men:she subsequently died of her injuries. Then in April 1888 we have possible gang assaults on both Emma Smith and Margaret Hames, who were also George Street residents. And, of course, Smith also died as a result of her injuries.

Hames had also been violently assaulted in December 1887, and as a consequence spent almost 3 weeks in the infirmary. And, on the same day that Smith was murdered, Malvina Haynes, also of Whitechapel, was brutally assaulted near Leman Street Railway station, receiving severe head injuries that rendered her unconscious.

And, of course, Martha Tabram, also of George Street, was violently murdered in August 1888; and considering the multiple stab wounds, gang activity surely can't be ruled out.

In any event, what all of these violent crimes have in common, apart from location, is that they appear to be motiveless. I mean, if, say, robbery was an underlying motive then why the extreme violence? Why the overkill, which is also characteristic of JtR's MO?

As I've argued before, I think it at least possible that JtR started out as a gang member, but may have branched out as his activities become too violent, unusual, and extreme for the other members. That's not to say that he couldn't have retained contacts, and received support from the gang in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by John G View Post
                  Hello Robert/Sir John,

I think that the gang-related angle has been significantly understated, particularly when you consider that there were a number of possible gang murders and attacks that preceded the Whitechapel murders.

Thus, in November 1888 Emily Hornsnell, who lived in George Street, claimed to have been kicked in the stomach by a group of men:she subsequently died of her injuries. Then in April 1888 we have possible gang assaults on both Emma Smith and Margaret Hames, who were also George Street residents. And, of course, Smith also died as a result of her injuries.

Hames had also been violently assaulted in December 1887, and as a consequence spent almost 3 weeks in the infirmary. And, on the same day that Smith was murdered, Malvina Haynes, also of Whitechapel, was brutally assaulted near Leman Street Railway station, receiving severe head injuries that rendered her unconscious.

And, of course, Martha Tabram, also of George Street, was violently murdered in August 1888; and considering the multiple stab wounds, gang activity surely can't be ruled out.

In any event, what all of these violent crimes have in common, apart from location, is that they appear to be motiveless. I mean, if, say, robbery was an underlying motive then why the extreme violence? Why the overkill, which is also characteristic of JtR's MO?

As I've argued before, I think it at least possible that JtR started out as a gang member, but may have branched out as his activities become too violent, unusual, and extreme for the other members. That's not to say that he couldn't have retained contacts, and received support from the gang in the future.
                  wow JohnG-Interesting take.

However, I don't think there has ever been a serial killer who started off killing in a gang. They tend to be loners. There whole psychology is the "double life". totally opposite of someone who feels the pull of the gang-different mentality.

Now many have started off with criminal records before they went on there spree-hot prowl burleries, peeping toms, rape seem to be the most common but again, done in isolation.

That's not saying that the ripper couldn't have been in a gang-just highly doubtful.

If there is any, IMHO, victim-I could possibly see him being one of the men who attacked smith-perhaps the one that did the thing with the stick. And that was the trigger act that possibly started it and he then went solo.

Howver, I think it much more likely that she WAS the victim to a gang (sans ripper) and the ripper started off alone with his fantasy with Millwood, and then the trigger kill being Tabram.

Comment

The more I read about MJK, the more I think Maxwell's was right. I get that she's only seen her on two short occasions but you can't mistake someone for someone else unless it's dark outside.

Something doesn't add up to MJK's story, I can't really put it into words but I can't help but think that the body that was found at Miller's Court wasn't MJK, could be someone who stayed over at her place?
                    “If I cannot bend heaven, I will raise hell.”

Comment

But who was Maxwell. What do we really know about her? Has anyone found her (or him) in any records from the period?

Comment

Originally posted by MysterySinger View Post
                        But who was Maxwell. What do we really know about her? Has anyone found her (or him) in any records from the period?
                        Caroline Maxwell,wife of Henry Maxwell who was a lodging house deputy across the road to Millers Court.She gave evidence at the inquest to say that she saw Mary Kelly on the morning when she was believed to be already dead
                        You can lead a horse to water.....

Comment

Originally posted by JadenCollins View Post
                          The more I read about MJK, the more I think Maxwell's was right. I get that she's only seen her on two short occasions but you can't mistake someone for someone else unless it's dark outside.

Something doesn't add up to MJK's story, I can't really put it into words but I can't help but think that the body that was found at Miller's Court wasn't MJK, could be someone who stayed over at her place?
                          I agree Jaden
                          You can lead a horse to water.....

Comment

Originally posted by JadenCollins View Post

But that is just wrong Jaden, I used to work with Rwo blokes and saw them mistaken for each othe time and time again, they weren't even related, just the same size, colouring and same beard it could be funny at times, there used to be a bloke living near me (in the same city) who my mum mistook for me once, I actually never met him face to face but did see a photo of him, and can understand the confusion.
                            G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
                              But that is just wrong Jaden, I used to work with Rwo blokes and saw them mistaken for each othe time and time again, they weren't even related, just the same size, colouring and same beard it could be funny at times, there used to be a bloke living near me (in the same city) who my mum mistook for me once, I actually never met him face to face but did see a photo of him, and can understand the confusion.
                              I get it, many people look alike, and it can get confusing but personally I don't think she was wrong. Maxwell wasn't the only one to see her alive. It can't be a coincidence.

And that's harsh, your own mom mistook you for someone else? ouch.
                              “If I cannot bend heaven, I will raise hell.”

Comment

But has anyone found Caroline or Henry Maxwell in the census or electoral information. Was Maxwell her real name, for example. Could she have had a motive for saying what she did. They seem very hard to trace.

Comment

Working...
                                X