No announcement yet.

Aussie Rules Football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hmmm Richmond eh? well.. we shall see in week 13 when the Lions and Tigers meet (hmm almost sounds like it should be in a movie)

actually as sad as it is for me to say.. i'm thinking Geelong again.... but hey.. i'm an American so what do I know hahah..

thanks for posting!!!!! hope you will continue.. and lets have a fun season

Comment

It's the Sydney Swans v St Kilda this weekend. They keep advertising tickets on the television

Pick a winner

Comment

Hey Steadmund,

Well I'm watching Richmond play Carlton right now, and I can tell you, Richmond look absolutely, utterly awful. Which I know shouldn't be surprising to me - they've been a constant source of dissapointment for all us Richmond supporters for a long time now. One finals series in the last decade, and even then we got knocked out in the first round!

You'd see better football going to watch your local reserves team. Pathetic.

Having said that....they'll probably get up and win now...haha.

Cheers,
        Adam.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Went View Post
          Hey Steadmund,

Well I'm watching Richmond play Carlton right now, and I can tell you, Richmond look absolutely, utterly awful. Which I know shouldn't be surprising to me - they've been a constant source of dissapointment for all us Richmond supporters for a long time now. One finals series in the last decade, and even then we got knocked out in the first round!

You'd see better football going to watch your local reserves team. Pathetic.

Having said that....they'll probably get up and win now...haha.

Cheers,
          Adam.
          Hey Adam, welcome to another Aussie rules fan

Tonight's looking good so far
          Chief Superintendent Brownlow: "Are there any Tension Indicators? Over!"

DI Galloway: "Tension indicators?! They're throwing bloody petrol bombs. Sir."

Comment

Thanks, Phyrne!

Tonight is looking good for who, or what? Another Richmond hiding? LOL

Wish the cricket was on....that's my game.

Cheers,
            Adam.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Went View Post
              Thanks, Phyrne!

Tonight is looking good for who, or what? Another Richmond hiding? LOL

Wish the cricket was on....that's my game.

Cheers,
              Adam.
              No probs with the Tiges at all, Adam. I wish 'em all the luck in the world.

Just was delighted to hear my Blues (Carlton fan for 40+ years here) starting the season so well

Sad news tonight about an old Richmond player:

I'll be contacting Richmond tomorrow to find out how to kick in a few bucks.

re cricket: that's all good too, mate. Unless yer a Kiwi

See you next week, Steady. Be afraid

Comment

Oh Phryne.. see you in week two indeed.... i'll say i'm sorry in advance for the beating the Lions are going to put on ya!

i'm rather excited for the season to start.. as you well know I'm an American who has always had very limited access to Footy... however this year our wonderful ESPN has bought the rights to it... and will be showing almost every game on the ESPN360 web site for free... so for once... I may actually get to watch a full season.... if it works that is.. fingers crossed..

Also Adam.. welcome aboard mate! look foward to hearing from all of you fotty fans out there..

and hello Belinda.... i'm going to go with St Kilda over Sydney... only because well as i've said before.... I can never cheer for the Swans

hope to hear from you all soon... lets have a good season!!!

Comment

Looks like it's going to be another season of pain and suffering for us Tigers fans....starting with a 56 point schillacking last night....

I can handle defeat, but such basic errors! Simple chest marks dropped, handballs missing targets, set shots 30 metres out straight in front going out on the full....the local reserves team could do better....it's enough to make you rip your hair out....

Cheers,
                  Adam.

Comment

Steadmund,
                    I am a follower of Port Power,though not a rabid follower of Aussie Rules,my main attraction being Rugby Union football.Although I now live in the Port Adelaide area of South Australia,having migrated in 1966,I was born and brought up in England.
                    This may interest you.I once played Rugby Union against both Princeton and Yale universities.The year was 1948,and I was a member of the British Military stationed in Bermuda.A team from both those universities was visiting the island to gain an insight into the finer points of the game,and a match was arranged with both.It's a long time ago,so I only retain fragments of memory.One is that of the size of their teams,indeed one was the reigning wrestling champion of his university.On one occasion,no doubt forgetting what game was being played,a university player,acting like a quarterback,threw the ball about fifty yards ahead of play, and was quite taken aback when a resulting try was disallowed.Didn't really understand the forward pass rule.Still it was good fun and we had many laughs,and quite a few bruises,as neither they nor us pulled the punches.
                    Regards.
                    Harry.

Comment

Welcome to the forum Harry!! haha great story! but Port Adalaide? ... just kidding.... again welcome and thansk for posting...

well as i'm sure you all know now the Mighty Lions of Brisbane are of and running..... 114-82 over west coast... 1 down and 21 to go eh???

and Phryne... just a few more days until the Lions make it 2-0 this season against your Blues!!! good luck to ya... hope we can talk about the game soon

hope everyone had a great weekend and hope to hear from you all soon..

Go Lions!!

Comment

Who won St Kilda v Swans

You have to see this especially Swans Fans. Hey Supe

Warwick Capper, the flamboyant Sydney full forward, made this effort to become a recording star in June 1985 after having seen his rival, Jacko of Geelong, d...

Comment

Steadmund,
                          Well Port started off with a win,but the Crows,Adelaide's second team,did not fare so well.
                          Here however is another tale involving Americans and Union football.I believe it was a year in the 1980's. I think,either 1982 or 1987,I was in England both years,on extended holidays.The local team,of which my brothers and nephews w ere players and officials,had won the local cup,and I was invited to the celebrations.There I was introduced to two Americans,members of the team,who were there that season to gain experience,and had shown enough ability to be included in the cup decider.Both were from the state of Indiana,where I gathered some rugby was played.They departed for home the following week.
                          About a fortnight later a letter from one of them arrived at the club headquarters,stating that in appreciation of the wonderfull way they had been treated,a consignment of cigars was on its way to be shared among club players and officials.To avoid risk of loss due to thieving more so than customs duties having to be paid,both a possibility,the parcel was declared as containing used clothing.
                          The parcel arrived without mishap,and the cigars shared out.They were of a superior brand and there were several boxes,so must have cost a considerable sum of money.
                          About a week later,two Department of Customs investigators arrived at the club,asking for the secretary,who fortunately was not there.Stating they would be back,they departed.The secretary on hearing of this,contacted my brother,who contacted me,the reason being that I had,before retiring on health grounds been a member of the Australian Customs Department, and they wanted my opinion.
                          It was clear to me that the Customs had been alerted anonymously about the cigars,and had no clear grounds for suspecting any particular person.My opinion was that anyone approached should deny not only possesion of any cigars,but also knowledge of any being received.This was done and the matter passed without any fuss.
                          I often wonder what happened to the two Americans as regards rugby in Indiana.I do know that a member of the Club in England was offered a coaching position in Indiana,and two of my nephews actually played rugby there,though they were in America for other reasons.
                          Regards,
                          Harry.

Comment

Wow Harry!! that is a great story...... my only question is.... just how good were these cigars haha.

funny you should have so many rugby stories from the states.. as it is an almost a non sport here... very rare to find any coverage anyplace.. there are stilla few colleges with teams... but no leagues to speak off...sad really...and it is never on TV here... well unless I am watching a European channel that is..... I must admit I never played the game.. never even played American football.. and I should have seeing as I am 6 feet 5 inches tall and weigh close to 300 pounds now ( not in the best of shape anymore sad to say) I was a boxer in my younger days.. not too bad for either I must say.. but that was almost 60 pounds ago hahaha.. and a nice car accident took my boxing life away from me.. but hey it could have been worse!!!

I think I need to plan a trip down under soon to catch a footy game live!!!!!

Comment

Hi Harry. Nice to see another Aussie Rules fan

I had a holiday in Adelaide about 8 years ago, and Port Adelaide (the area, NOT the footy team!) was my favourite bit, especially around the old docks area. I daresay it's had all its personality yuppified out of it by now with multi-storey apartment blocks and trendy shoppiing arcades *sigh*. Great union stories, btw.

Steadmund, you might like this, from today's (Melbourne) Herald Sun:

Michael Voss will be picking Fev's (ie, Brendan Fevola's) brain for information about Carlton. I don't know what he'll find in there, but it's worth a try...

Belinda, not sure if you were asking who won that game? If so, the Saints won, but only by 8 points, so that's no disgrace.

Comment

Steadmund,
                                I was told the cigars were excellent.Pity I was a non smoker.Sorry the accident cut short your sporting life,and by your size you would have made it good in the front row.

Greetings Phryne,
                                Yes the Port has changed considerably,but not their love of Rules.There is a bridge across the river where berth 10 was situated,and most river trafic has moved up river to outer harbour.In 1970 I did a three month stint with the Federal Narcotics Bureau in Melbourne,so got to know some of the city.Quite liked it.
                                Regards,
                                Harry.

Comment

Working...
                                X