Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CoL Police find photo of graffito? - NOT Goulston St!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jason View Post
    Does that mean that once permission is given by CoL police that we can see this photograph immediately ( and will the disclosure be made by them and only them ) or will it be when full research has been made on the item by yourselves ? because to be fair, those dates could be significantly far apart.
    Jason,

That is what we are discussing. Its a delicate situation as essentially it is CoLPs item. We are trying to reach a mutual agreement where all parties are concernered come to a satisfactory solution all around. Other than that I'd rather be guarded as I do not wish to jepordise the discussions.

Whilst we can't give dates please believe me when I say we are doing our upmost to do this as swiftly as possible.

The aim is this summer. However that's subject to change.

We intend to publish to all. Rob and I will answer all queries at that stage and will be honest and open...after all we know nothing else.

I really can understand everyones frustrations, believe me Rob and I have been frustrated over these past 12 months or so. However as we have stated, let's do it properly, present it with all the info we have, let the community debate it and hopefully progress it in years to come.

Regards
    Monty
    Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Originally posted by Monty View Post
      Jason,

That is what we are discussing. Its a delicate situation as essentially it is CoLPs item. We are trying to reach a mutual agreement where all parties are concernered come to a satisfactory solution all around. Other than that I'd rather be guarded as I do not wish to jepordise the discussions.

Whilst we can't give dates please believe me when I say we are doing our upmost to do this as swiftly as possible.

The aim is this summer. However that's subject to change.

We intend to publish to all. Rob and I will answer all queries at that stage and will be honest and open...after all we know nothing else.

I really can understand everyones frustrations, believe me Rob and I have been frustrated over these past 12 months or so. However as we have stated, let's do it properly, present it with all the info we have, let the community debate it and hopefully progress it in years to come.

Regards
      Monty
      cheers Monty, i appreciate that this must be a difficult situation to manage, bearing in mind the pressure coming from both within yourselves and others. So looking forward to it, whenever that may be. I trust that those involved are all feeling frustrated as each other but i also believe that everyone is doing their best. Good luck with this, i truly mean that.

Regards

Jason

Comment

Thank you Jason,

I must admit that everyone has been very understanding and supportive, its appreciated.

Monty
        Monty

Comment

Hi All,

Most intriguing, but all we can do is speculate for the time being. What little common sense I have suggests that such a graffito photograph, if in possession of the CofL Police, must relate to the Eddowes murder in some way. If so, it's probably going to be the most important discovery (with provenance) for a very long time. Good luck, Neil & Rob. I'm sure it'll be worth the wait.

Regards, Bridewell.
          I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Take a number, please.

Hello Jason, Colin. What pressure? What speculation? Just bide and what happens, happens. Rather like being married.

As Neil says, "Let's do it properly." And after spending long times filling out forms, taking numbers and waiting for archives, I say, "Amen."

Cheers.
            LC

Comment

Manana

Just bide and what happens, happens. Rather like being married.
              Would that that were true for most of us Lynn!

Seriously though, I agree with you...forget it was posted...on Monday it concerned nobody, so why should it on Friday...don't speculate...all will be revealed eventually...

All the best

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Clack View Post
                The photographs are owned, and are currently with the City of London Police. So our hands are tied until they give us there permission.

Rob
                Rob
                I have one final question why has it took 12 months for the police to decide whether to let you make it public. One would have expected that decsion to have been made much sooner than this. What is the reason for the delay ?

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor Marriott View Post
                  What evidence are you referring to, just like Stewart I have much important new material that has never been published before but I will be publishing it in due course for the benefit of the ripper community at a time that is suitable to me and not as a result of unwarranted demands made by others. .

Rob
                  I have one final question why has it took 12 months for the police to decide whether to let you make it public. One would have expected that decsion to have been made much sooner than this. What is the reason for the delay ?
                  LOL....seriously, I love the arrogance. Really. When someone else has something, then it's a hideous conspiracy when it isn't published to your demands, but when it's you sitting on research, suddenly it will be published at a time convenient to you, never mind a 12 month delay.

Seriously, how do you not choke on your hypocrisy?

Let all Oz be agreed;
                  I need a better class of flying monkeys.

Comment

Rob
                    Several reasons Trevor. The original plan was to release it last August to tie in with a relaunch of the City of London Police Museum, but unfortunately plans for that were put on hold. I wont bore people with specifics but there is a lot of internal politics going on at the City of London Police, change of personnel, restructuring and the future of the museum itself is in serious doubt. So since last August it has been a bit of a struggle to get some sort of definitive answer from them. It's not from want of trying on me and Neil's part, we have been in constant contact with the City of London Police. And we have a new contact there who may (and I stress 'may') help move things a long, which we hope to get in contact with next week.

Rob

Comment

To confirm Robs post,

That is indeed the situation.

The CoLP, as with every force and Governmental department in the country, are going through a spending review. And the Museum, as with all sub departments within the force, are having to put a Business case forward.

In short they are fighting for their exsistance and the jewel in their business case proposition was the wall writing. As with these type of spending reviews, it takes time to be considered and, when compared with other more important departments such as Horse patrol, CID and Special Branch for instance, it is low on the list to be looked at.

Yes, its as mundane as that.

Monty
                      Monty

Comment

Take a number, please.
                        Have you been watching Beetlejuice again?

Regards, Bridewell

Comment

Volunteers

Originally posted by Monty View Post
                          To confirm Robs post,

The CoLP, as with every force and Governmental department in the country, are going through a spending review. And the Museum, as with all sub departments within the force, are having to put a Business case forward.

In short they are fighting for their exsistance and the jewel in their business case proposition was the wall writing. As with these type of spending reviews, it takes time to be considered and, when compared with other more important departments such as Horse patrol, CID and Special Branch for instance, it is low on the list to be looked at.

Monty
                          Hi Monty,

They will indeed be low down on the list of priorities. It's sad because they could probably find an army of volunteers to run the museum for them. I'm sure some of those who post on this forum would be among them.

Good luck with the project and I''ll try to resist the temptation to ask any more questions!

Regards, Bridewell.

Comment

Cheers Colin,

The Volunteers are there, its more to to with space, branding, costs etc.

Hopefully they will get the go ahead with their plans (which are quite good and interesting) and survive.

However, as you say, they have more important matter to decide upon.

Monty
                            Monty

Comment

[QUOTE=Monty;220294]To confirm Robs post,

Monty
                              [/QUOTE

Hello Neil,

Please excuse my previously cynical view re a re-launch of a Police Museum, and the machìnations around using a star item to help the cause. My guess was simply stating something that had happened before in 1987 and the 'find' that time was the marginalia. That was splashed across the newspapers too to help re-launch the museum. I honestly didnt think that the same trick would be used twice.
                              No wonder you gents have to research it thoroughly. Nobody wants a repeat of 1987 and all that.
                              Because in 2012 every T needs crossing and every I needs dotting to avoid Lord knows what.

I am really pleased that you have stressed complete openess about this right from the off. The slightest hint of secrecy will lead us all down roads with questions nobody wants to rake over.

I welcome all genuine material with the same enthusiasm as the next person, but sadly, as each 'new' find pops up, I become more and more cynical. Nothìng at all personal, please. Perhaps I just want to see something that cannot be questioned on any front, as I'm tired of continual re-runs of worn out problems connected to validity, originality or provenance- as most are I should thìnk.

This subject doesnt need more problems and controversy. The mention of the very thing I wrote about- a use of this to help re-launch a museum leaves me with a bad taste and deja vu.

And what happens if the museum idea falls through? Will the City Police STILL refuse to share evidence pertaining to the WM? Because the bitter irony is that because they OWN the material- they can refuse "in perpetuity" if they wanted to.

And THAT tells me more than I'd like to know. Have the police in general any interest in actually revealing what they actually have without a self serving proviso each time?

Again. Please excuse the cynicism. Motive for REAL advance of knowledge doesnt seem to eminate from the varying police forces, if there isnt a reason other than truth and history to do it it seems?

I really hope this is the squeaky clean real McCoy. For us all, for history and for the sake of those caught up in this 124 years ago. And I hope that whatever happens, ALL genuine material gets released to the people that have a right to see it. The general public. With or without a museum ready for another re-launch etc etc.

Best wishes

Phil
                              Last edited by Phil Carter; 05-12-2012, 12:37 AM.
                              Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
                              Accountability? ....

Comment

Phil,

Don Rumbelow once said something which has stuck with me because it rings so very true, the Police are extremely poor historians.

I'm afraid they look at this from a financial point of view and the first question is what is this costing us?

I can confirm there is a contigency plan should the museum be disbanded. Its not my place to say what it is but there is a 'plan B' as it were. And that plan, so I was told, still enables material to be viewed.

Finally, again I'm afraid I'm not going to discuss the item itself however I will say supporting evidence has been gathered which will be open to all for scrutiny as soon as we can possibly release it.

Monty
                                Monty

Comment

Working...
                                X