This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post

I can imagine far more semen and blood stains at a Small Faces concert than I ever could in Mitre Square or Berners Street.

Regards,

Simon
    True. The Small Faces always rocked. The shawl never did.

The best,
    Fisherman

Comment

• Merry Michaelmas!

By the way, I think it's only fitting to wish everyone
      MERRY MICHAELMAS!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Real.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	665730

Comment

• Hi Chris,

And an extremely Merry Michaelmas to you.

As you were included in the acknowledgements of Russell Edwards' book, perhaps you would care to detail the extent of your cooperation.

Regards,

Simon
        Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris View Post
          There's no secret about it. He contacted me through a third party last year for help in tracing descendants of Aaron Kozminski's family. I was reluctant to involve any of those we had traced previously, but with the help of others I traced some fresh ones - one in the UK and others in the USA - and suggested he should try them. That was the extent of our contribution.
          Do not speak to fools, for they will scorn your prudent words proverbs 23:9

Comment

• Hi RockySullivan,

When someone starts spouting the Bible all hope for rational discussion becomes lost.

Regards,

Simon
            Last edited by Simon Wood; 09-29-2014, 01:02 PM. Reason: spolling mistook
            Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

• Originally posted by RockySullivan View Post
              Do not speak to fools, for they will scorn your prudent words proverbs 23:9
              There will be dissensions and squabbles. (Justin, Dial. xxxv, 3)

Comment

• Originally posted by Theagenes View Post
                Chris pointed out in the other thread, that Jari has apparently been made aware of this issue. I would think his reaction at being told about it would be very telling. If he seemed non-plussed as though he was well aware of it then it's probably a case of Edwards misreporting the results. If, on the other hand, he seemed surprised, then we probably have a real problem.
                Top post Theagenes. Thanks.

Yes, if JL seemed surprised - then 'Gordon Bennett!' as they used to say where I come from.
                Mick Reed

Whatever happened to scepticism?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jon Guy View Post
                  I have in my possession the green velvet that Liz Stride gave to Catherine Lane on the night she died. The velvet was passed down the family and in 1966 was fashioned into a jacket and worn by Catherine Lane`s great -grand child, The Small Faces bass player Ronnie Lane. Anyway, that`s what the chap at the market told me..
                  Damn Jon, you and me must have gone to the same market stall. You must have got the imitation one. Bad Luck.
                  Mick Reed

Comment

• Nonplussed DOES mean surprised, doesn't it?

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris View Post
                      By the way, I think it's only fitting to wish everyone
                      MERRY MICHAELMAS!

[ATTACH]16315[/ATTACH]
                      As a stick-in-the-mud, I prefer to wait until the real Michaelmas, 11 October.

Just like the Inland Revenue, the pre-1752 calendar cuts it for me.
                      Mick Reed

Comment

• Originally posted by Harry D View Post
                        Nonplussed DOES mean surprised, doesn't it?
                        No! See OED

nonplus nɒnˈplʌs ♫ noun & verb. l16.

A noun. Pl. -sses. A state in which no more can be said or done; inability to proceed in speech or action; a state of perplexity; a standstill. Chiefly in at a nonplus, bring to a nonplus, reduce to a nonplus. l16.
                        A. Jessopp Prophets are never at a nonplus, never surprised.
                        B verb trans. Infl. -ss-. Bring (a person etc.) to a nonplus; perplex; make (a thing) ineffective or inoperative. Freq. as nonplussed ppl adjective. e17.
                        P. G. Wodehouse The spectacle…was enough to nonplus anyone. N. Monsarrat It was all very well to be puzzled, but one should not be completely nonplussed.
                        nonpluˈssation noun (rare) the action of nonplussing someone; the condition of being nonplussed: m19.
                        Mick Reed

Comment

• Originally posted by pinkmoon View Post
                          None of this is true because the shawl couldn't have been at any of the murder sites.
                          seems I have seen that thread before… Is it from a text processor ?
                          His man Bowyer
                          (Forgive my accent, I've been to France for a while…)

—————————————

Comment

• Originally posted by mickreed View Post
                            No! See OED

nonplus nɒnˈplʌs ♫ noun & verb. l16.

A noun. Pl. -sses. A state in which no more can be said or done; inability to proceed in speech or action; a state of perplexity; a standstill. Chiefly in at a nonplus, bring to a nonplus, reduce to a nonplus. l16.
                            A. Jessopp Prophets are never at a nonplus, never surprised.
                            B verb trans. Infl. -ss-. Bring (a person etc.) to a nonplus; perplex; make (a thing) ineffective or inoperative. Freq. as nonplussed ppl adjective. e17.
                            P. G. Wodehouse The spectacle…was enough to nonplus anyone. N. Monsarrat It was all very well to be puzzled, but one should not be completely nonplussed.
                            nonpluˈssation noun (rare) the action of nonplussing someone; the condition of being nonplussed: m19.

So surprised and confused that one is unsure how to react:
                            Henry looked completely nonplussed

Comment

• Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
                              Hi RockySullivan,

When someone starts spouting the Bible all hope for rational discussion becomes lost.

Regards,

Simon
                              Oh, I don't know, Simon.

'Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?' Matt 7:16

There seem to be quite a few thorns and thistles in this thread.
                              Mick Reed

Comment

• Originally posted by Harry D View Post
                                http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/de...ish/nonplussed

So surprised and confused that one is unsure how to react:
                                Henry looked completely nonplussed
                                Well all right, Harry. I prefer the full OED but I agree. A nonplussed person is doubtless surprised, but a surprised person is not necessarily nonplussed. My quote from the SOED was intended to show the difference.

Cheers
                                Mick Reed

Comment

Working...
                                X