Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Were Martha`s clothes "decent" on discovery ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Were Martha`s clothes "decent" on discovery ?

Hi all

Does anyone know whether Martha Tabram`s skirt was raised, exposing her, upon discovery by Saunders.

I haven`t been able to find any details regarding the above, and as Nichols, Chapman and Eddowes were all found with raised clothing I thought it may be interesting to note whether Martha was the same.

Hi Jon,

According to the Evening News 10 August 1888:

Her clothes were all disarranged, as if she had had a struggle with some one. Witness did not notice any instrument lying about.

Police-constable Barrett, 226 H, deposed to being called by the last witness to view the body of deceased. She was lying on her back, and before she was moved a doctor was sent for, and on arrival pronounced life extinct. The woman's hands were clenched, but did not contain anything. Her clothes were thrown upwards.

JM

Comment

Originally posted by jmenges View Post
      Hi Jon,

According to the Evening News 10 August 1888:

Her clothes were all disarranged, as if she had had a struggle with some one. Witness did not notice any instrument lying about.

Police-constable Barrett, 226 H, deposed to being called by the last witness to view the body of deceased. She was lying on her back, and before she was moved a doctor was sent for, and on arrival pronounced life extinct. The woman's hands were clenched, but did not contain anything. Her clothes were thrown upwards.
      Excellent,JM,many thanks, I had not seen that before !! Important too !!
      Looks like the same man to me ???

Comment

Here is a more detailed report of Barrett's testimony regarding the position of Tabram's body and the state of her clothes:

...my attention was called to George-yard-buildings by Reeves, the last witness. I followed him up the stairs, and found the deceased lying on her back. She was dead, but I at once sent for the doctor. The body was not moved by me or Reeves before the doctor came. I noticed that the hands were clenched, but there was nothing in them. The clothes were turned up as far as the centre of the body, leaving the lower part of the body exposed; the legs were open, and altogether her position was such as to suggest in my mind that recent intimacy had taken place.... From the East London Observer, 11 August, 1888.

Very much like all the other victims excluding Stride.

Wolf.

Comment

Working...
        X