Connections or random?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Batman View Post
    how many were active cops at the time of their serial killing?
    "Is all that we see or seem
    but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
    quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
      how many were active cops at the time of their serial killing?
      Quite a few of them. There are lots more also.
      Bona fide canonical and then some.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
        Hi Sam. You don't think Polly Nichols knew Frances Coles? They lived in the same house together. And Polly lived in the same house as Annie Chapman prior to her death.
        Hello Tom

That doesn't necessarily mean that their paths would have crossed particularly often, assuming their tenure in those houses overlapped to any appreciable extent.
        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Two inpatients together with Rheumatic Fever in 1867/68 closely match Nichols and Eddowes/Conway.
          Strep pyogenes also attacks the kidneys and resides in the intestines.
          Before Kate left to go hopping both lived next door.
          When she returned,Eddowes headed for Shoe Lane.
          Surmise Tom was referring to 35 Dorset Street.
          Last edited by DJA; 01-27-2017, 09:10 PM. Reason: Kidneys plural.
          My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
            Hello Tom

That doesn't necessarily mean that their paths would have crossed particularly often, assuming their tenure in those houses overlapped to any appreciable extent.
            Nothing is definite, but when you have people living in the same house it's not fair to say there's no reason to suspect they may have known each other. It was reported in the press that Annie Chapman and Mary Kelly knew each other. That is of course not proof they did, but that report on top of their being neighbors and such tips the scales in that favor. Now, whether any of this has anything at all to do with their murders is entirely another matter.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

P.S. Re: Batman's question, there's little reason to believe an active cop was the Ripper. Or even a former cop. He may have been but there's no reason to suppose he was.

Comment

Nothing is definite, but when you have people living in the same house it's not fair to say there's no reason to suspect they may have known each other. It was reported in the press that Annie Chapman and Mary Kelly knew each other. That is of course not proof they did, but that report on top of their being neighbors and such tips the scales in that favor. Now, whether any of this has anything at all to do with their murders is entirely another matter.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

I agree, Tom. We also don't know for definite whether the women's paths may have crossed in earlier years or in places apart from their lodgings. Both Martha Tabram and Catherine Eddowes were using the workhouse at Mint St Southwark and Newington workhouse and casual ward around the same time in the late 1870's, as was Mary Ann Monk and other women with names familiar in this case. Newington workhouse is one of the few workhouses where the casual ward registers have survived, Perhaps the records of the Whitechapel, Mile End, SGE etc. casual wards, had they survived, might have revealed the women staying in the wards at the same times on occasion?
              Last edited by Debra A; 01-28-2017, 08:27 AM.

Comment

P.S. Re: Batman's question, there's little reason to believe an active cop was the Ripper. Or even a former cop. He may have been but there's no reason to suppose he was.
                After reading your book I went and looked into the matter again because I was always of the opinion that LE involvement in these cases is just so rare and to rule it out. It turns out that there have been quite a few instances and so that opened that possibility for me. Your book seems to be suggesting though that if we follow the train of thought you present, that LE was involved or complicit in some way. Did I read into it right? If not you can correct me.

Thanks

Comment

Hi Debs. Were those records destroyed in the war along with so much else?

Hi Batman. No, I don't suggest that a cop was involved in the murders. I suggest that Sgt. William Thick tried to fit up John Pizer for the murders at one point. I also point out that he had a relationship with the top lodging house keepers in the area. I think it's highly possible some of these men knew who the Ripper was and worked to protect him. Or protect something close to them. From what I can tell, they certainly didn't benefit from the murders themselves. A lawyer did write a letter expressing his opinion that William Thick was the Ripper, but I don't believe it and I don't believe he personall knew who the Ripper was.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

I can't possibly say at this stage, Tom, but watch out for an announcement on the 29th February!

Comment

Hi Batman. No, I don't suggest that a cop was involved in the murders. I suggest that Sgt. William Thick tried to fit up John Pizer for the murders at one point. I also point out that he had a relationship with the top lodging house keepers in the area. I think it's highly possible some of these men knew who the Ripper was and worked to protect him. Or protect something close to them. From what I can tell, they certainly didn't benefit from the murders themselves. A lawyer did write a letter expressing his opinion that William Thick was the Ripper, but I don't believe it and I don't believe he personall knew who the Ripper was.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
                      Thanks for that. So what about this same person happening to find the bloody apron piece? A coincidence?

Comment

Originally posted by Batman View Post
                        Thanks for that. So what about this same person happening to find the bloody apron piece? A coincidence?
                        What same person? Sgt Thick was nowhere near Goulston Street and had nothing to do with the apron piece. PC Albert Long found it. I have a long essay about Goulston Street in my upcoming book.

Debs, Feb. 29th it is! LOL. I'll be holding my breath.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Sgt Thick was nowhere near Goulston Street and had nothing to do with the apron piece.
                          Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
                          Okay thanks for that clarification.

Comment

You weren't too far off, though. Stride was in Tiger Bay in the days before her death. Also in Hanbury Street.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
                            Tom,

What do you have in mind when you speak of 'Tiger Bay' in 1888?

Gary
                            Last edited by MrBarnett; 02-05-2017, 06:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post
                              Tom,

What do you have in mind when you speak of 'Tiger Bay' in 1888?

Gary
                              Stride visited a friend in Tiger Bay not long before her murder. Tiger Bay wasn't too far distant from Berner Street.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Not the more famous Tiger Bay in South Wales then Tom?

Phil
                                Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
                                Accountability? ....

Comment

Working...
                                X