Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mayerling View Post
    Hi Robert,

A point came to me after my last post to Winkerman. When it comes to the transporting of the remains of the dead Polly Nichols and Annie Chapman, both were killed outside - not in a room like Mary Kelly. Therefore the issue of the coffin or shell for both was relatively unimportant because there was plenty of room to maneuver in. Not so with Mary Kelly's apartment room. So again the size of her height is important. Jaden mentioned to me on another thread just now that Mary Kelly may have been taller than Polly Nichols and the others. Perhaps, although why was Elizabeth Stride called "Long Liz"?).

Jeff
    Hi,

According to the newspapers she is also called Lizzie Long.

Regards, Pierre

Comment

Originally posted by JadenCollins View Post
      I found this picture, might help.
      But that is the Whitehall "mystery".

Regards, Pierre

Comment

Originally posted by Pierre View Post
        But that is the Whitehall "mystery".

Regards, Pierre
        They might have used that for MJK.
        If it's not a coffin, it might have been something like that no?
        “If I cannot bend heaven, I will raise hell.”

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
          It was a 'shell' that was carried into the room, it is not a coffin per-se, just an oblong box for human remains.
          You can do a search in the Press Reports section for, "shell". You will see plenty of examples of its use.

All the mutilated pieces of flesh/organs, were carried out in a bucket (pail), covered with newspaper.
          This is accurate to the press reports.

Comment

Originally posted by Pierre View Post

Do you possibly have a source for your statement about the bucket and newspaper?
            To save Jon searching.

LWN, 11.11.88

"The photographer removed his camera from the premises at about half-past four o'clock, and shortly afterwards a detective officer carried away from the house a pail, with which he left in a four wheel cab. The pail was covered with a newspaper, and was stated to contain portions of the woman's body. It was taken to the house of Dr Phillips, 2 Spital Square".

Comment

Hey Jeff,

I think I found that press report, check this out;
              Attached Files
              “If I cannot bend heaven, I will raise hell.”

Comment

Originally posted by JadenCollins View Post
                Hey Jeff,

I think I found that press report, check this out;
                http://www.casebook.org/press_report.../dt881110.html
                Thanks Jaden,

Well that clinches it that it was not a coffin but a shell. And the remains were taken to the Shoreditch mortuary to be near the town hall for the inquest. Interesting too that both Annie Chapman and Catherine Eddowes resided near where Mary Kelly was living at different times.

Jeff

Comment

I'd be surprised if they actually managed to get the shell inside no.13, as the passage isn't very wide opposite the door. Then again, I have a vague memory of a newspaper report saying that one of the windows was removed to take the shell out. I may have imagined that, though.

Comment

I think the doctors sewed the organs back in place at the mortuary, and generally attempted to arrange Kelly into something resembling a human being, to use Farson's words. The inquest jury would only have been required to see her face, which would have been bad enough.

I think the undertaker or town clerk or somebody paid for the coffin. A public subscription failed to raise enough money for a headstone.

Comment

Originally posted by David Orsam View Post
                      To save Jon searching.

LWN, 11.11.88

"The photographer removed his camera from the premises at about half-past four o'clock, and shortly afterwards a detective officer carried away from the house a pail, with which he left in a four wheel cab. The pail was covered with a newspaper, and was stated to contain portions of the woman's body. It was taken to the house of Dr Phillips, 2 Spital Square".
                      Thankyou David, had to go out for lunch
                      Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Mrs Nichols was transported in "J' Divisions shell which was some considerable distance from Dorset Street. Mary Kelly was in "H" division's jurisdiction, they would have had their own shell, which would have been accessible much closer.
                        dustymiller
                        aka drstrange

Comment

Mary Jane's body being removed for transport to the mortuary.
                          Illustrated Police News - 17 November 1888

Comment

Working...
                          X