Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Being a Ripperologist and a Mason

Hello everyone,

I just thought I would take the time to share something personal with all of you.

Ever since the late 90s, I have always been fascinated with the subject of JTR and began to read everything I could get my hands on. Eventually, it led me to this website and I've had the pleasure of getting to know some of you. While I admit I'm only an amateur in the field of Ripperology, it has been a subject that has never died out on me and one that continues to fascinate me.

Also, for years, I have been very interested in the subject of Freemasonry. And, really, if you take out all of the nonsense of the Royal Conspiracy theory concerning JTR, I think the history of Freemasonry is a fascinating subject in and of it's own right. This fascination led me eventually to seek membership in a local lodge and recently, I was inititated as a Mason here in Philadelphia. I consider it to be a pivotal achievement in my life and hold it in high regard and want to be an active participant in Masonic activities.

Oh, and by the way, concerning JTR and other "Masonic conspiracy theories," the rumors have become so ridiculous that it really has become a subject of humor for me and my fellow Masons, something to get a few giggles at our meetings.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone else on here is a fellow Brother of any lodge or, if you have any questions about being a Mason, feel free to ask and I'll be more than happy to provide an answer.

Cheers!
    Last edited by JTRSickert; 01-19-2014, 09:24 AM.
    I won't make any deals. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed,de-briefed, or numbered!

I have something to ask. I'm not a freemason.

Last year I passed a second hand shop in my little village. There was a mason's apron in the window with a price tag. I didn't have the time to go in the shop and ask about it at the time. Two days later though I was in the shop but found that the apron had been sold. I wished I had asked for the price at the time but I didn't.

I found it quite sad to see the apron in a second hand shop. It really stood out amongst the regular things usually found in the shop. If the apron had still been on sale and was cheap enough I would of been tempted to buy it and then contact the lodge to see if they would like it.

My question would be do you think a lodge would like the return of an apron from a mason from their lodge that had passed on? Or maybe it varies between lodges. Some might care whilst others don't. I found the whole thing quite sad myself.
    These are not clues, Fred.
    It is not yarn leading us to the dark heart of this place.
    They are half-glimpsed imaginings, tangle of shadows.
    And you and I floundering at them in the ever vainer hope that we might corral them into meaning when we will not.
    We will not.

Comment

Originally posted by Ozzy View Post
      I have something to ask. I'm not a freemason.

Last year I passed a second hand shop in my little village. There was a mason's apron in the window with a price tag. I didn't have the time to go in the shop and ask about it at the time. Two days later though I was in the shop but found that the apron had been sold. I wished I had asked for the price at the time but I didn't.

I found it quite sad to see the apron in a second hand shop. It really stood out amongst the regular things usually found in the shop. If the apron had still been on sale and was cheap enough I would of been tempted to buy it and then contact the lodge to see if they would like it.

My question would be do you think a lodge would like the return of an apron from a mason from their lodge that had passed on? Or maybe it varies between lodges. Some might care whilst others don't. I found the whole thing quite sad myself.
      Well, here's the thing. One thing you have to understand is that the lodge isn't just the actual building, it's the group of people who meet there and sometimes, several different lodges meet in the same building, just at different times. I am sure the lodge would have liked the return of their apron, but the problem is figuring out which lodge the apron belongs to since it could be one of several.

What I would have done is, purchase the apron and afterward write an e-mail to the Grand Lodge of whatever state/country you're living in and explain to them about the apron. Afterards, a representative from the Grand Lodge would probably want to meet you with the apron and inspect it and, from there, they could determine which lodge the apron belongs in and would return it to that lodge.

If you're still curious, you can e-mail the Grand Lodge of whatever jurisdiction you live in and ask for further information.
      I won't make any deals. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed,de-briefed, or numbered!

Comment

My father believes all of the conspiracies about the freemasons - all of the stuff about them secretly ruling the world and having done so for centuries. But he's not upset by this, and he doesn't seek to overthrow or expose them. Rather, he admires them the way you might admire a great statesman and seems to believe that they're doing a good job. I've always found this amusing.

Comment

G'Day JTR

So a Mason and a Ripperologist Huh?

Case solved.
          G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Thanks for the reply JTRSickert.
            I can't do anything now as the second-hand shop has sold the apron. I know what to do now if I do come across another one.
            These are not clues, Fred.
            It is not yarn leading us to the dark heart of this place.
            They are half-glimpsed imaginings, tangle of shadows.
            And you and I floundering at them in the ever vainer hope that we might corral them into meaning when we will not.
            We will not.

Comment

We have it on pretty good authority that Bob Hinton is a 127th degree Freemason...
              “Sans arme, sans violence et sans haine”

Comment

Hi JTR,

How will you halve it?

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

A question for JTRSickert:

Where do your loyalties reside? It's highly unlikely of course, but what if one day as an nth degree Mason, the identify of JTR is revealed to you by the master Mason on his deathbed? The reveal, predictably, is contingent upon your promise of forever silence on this topic. You promise, of course, and now possess incontrovertible evidence that a certain fellow Mason (does this matter?) was the Ripper. So now what? Do you slip this forum the evidence or not?

Comment

Originally posted by Barnaby View Post
                    A question for JTRSickert:

Where do your loyalties reside? It's highly unlikely of course, but what if one day as an nth degree Mason, the identify of JTR is revealed to you by the master Mason on his deathbed? The reveal, predictably, is contingent upon your promise of forever silence on this topic. You promise, of course, and now possess incontrovertible evidence that a certain fellow Mason (does this matter?) was the Ripper. So now what? Do you slip this forum the evidence or not?
                    I'd write a book and call it Jack The Ripper: The Absolute Conclusive No Doubt About It For Real This Time Ultimate & Final Case Closed Truth...His Undisputed & Certain Identity Finally Revealed.

Cheers
                    DRoy

Comment

G'Day DRoy

And I bet 90% wouldn't believe a word in it!!
                      G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
                        G'Day DRoy

And I bet 90% wouldn't believe a word in it!!
                        I'd buy it lets face it I've purchased enough fact packed books regarding the ripper over the years.
                        Three things in life that don't stay hidden for to long ones the sun ones the moon and the other is the truth

Comment

Not saying I wouldn't buy it, just that most on these boards wouldn't believe it.
                          Last edited by GUT; 01-24-2014, 04:12 PM. Reason: I can't type!!!
                          G U T

Comment

Not saying I wouldn't but it, just that most on these boards wouldn't believe it.
                            Hi gut,how true some people will not be swayed in what they believe no matter what is presented to them.
                            Three things in life that don't stay hidden for to long ones the sun ones the moon and the other is the truth

Comment

G'Day JTR

So a Mason and a Ripperologist Huh?

Case solved.
                              Indeed Gut, very proud of both lol

Comment

Working...
                              X