The paper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The paper

I recently scanned the reproduction of the Lusk Letter from Letters From Hell and was surprised to see that on my computer screen, the paper on which the letter is written is not of uniform colour but striped! I cannot make this effect out in the book illustration but it is as clear as day in the scanned image. It does not look as if my scanner or computer has added the effect; it looks as if it is the actual texture of the paper. Moreover, the stripes slope upwards from left to right by about 15 degrees. This seems odd to me although admittedly I know next to nothing about paper manufacture.

If this striping is obvious to other casebookers I trust they will forgive me as I am colourblind and cannot always trust my own eyes. I would be delighted to hear others' opinions on this and will happily post my scanned image if I can get permission from Mr. Evans or Mr. Skinner.

Best wishes,
    Steve.

PS The reason this interests me is that if my observation is correct, is it not possible that the slanted stripes suggest the paper was cut out from a larger sheet - maybe of brown wrapping paper? This would indicate an impoverished letter writer. Maybe. Apologies again if my dodgy colour vision has caused me to waste people's time.

Ignore this thread

Just repeated experiment described above a few times. Results show that the mysterious banding effect must have been caused by my scanner. Profound apologies to anyone whose time I wasted with this rubbish. If it's any consolation, I feel like a complete berk.

Best wishes,
    Steve "Don't bother checking" Russell.

Comment

Working...
    X