What about objective facts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What about objective facts?

Much has been said about the Diaries, but what about the other facts?

Maybrick lived in Liverpool. Would he have had any reason to travel to London? As an Aussie, I can only say that Liverpool was an important commercial centre, and frequent visits to London are not what I would expect.

Barrett said he got the diaries from Devereaux. Does this man exist?

Barrett claims in his Affidavit that he typed the Diaries and his wife transcribed them. Have samples of her handwriting been analysed? Did she offer them at the "Ripperologist" Interview? Even with the different pens, I would expect that an expert could detect some similarities. In the only forgery case I have handled, the expert advised that pressure of the pen was important, and ruled out using a photocopy of the document. I accept the point that a book was forthcoming, so nothing was to be published, but that does not excuse not making copies of documents, etc. available. Why did they separate? Maybe for no relevant reason, but that reason should be stated.

As I read Mrs Harrison's account of the Conference, she says that Barrett at the Conference confirmed his Affidavit/Declaration, but she disbelieves him on this point. So she believes him to be capable of committing perjury. Yet she still accepts Barrett and his wife as trustworthy when it suits her. She can't have it both ways.

Originally posted by douglaid View Post
    Much has been said about the Diaries, but what about the other facts?

Maybrick lived in Liverpool. Would he have had any reason to travel to London? As an Aussie, I can only say that Liverpool was an important commercial centre, and frequent visits to London are not what I would expect.
    There is some evidence that Maybrick did visit London frequently. His brother Michael lived in London, he may have had a Mistress in London.

There is also some evidence that he conducted business in London as an agent for another firm.

Even in these days of internet conferences business leaders often prefer to meet face to face.

Barrett said he got the diaries from Devereaux. Does this man exist?
    Yes he does or rather did he died in August 1991.

Comment

Thanks for info

Thanks for replying. I am not deeply interested. I really got interested when an Australian connection popped up - and my eldest daughter lived in Whitechapel for a few months.

My intuition is not really evidence, but looking at Maybrick's portrait, he seems an ineffectual type, about as likely a candidate as George from "George and Mildred." He is also very much the opposite of the FBI profile.

Which brings me to the forthcoming book from Santa Cruz. A statement of the profile at http://www.txstate.edu/gii/jacktheripper.html points out that "profiling deals in probabilities and generalities, not certainties," which was always my understanding. Yet this author claims to have identified the killer from similar skills alone. "In his book which will be published within the next few months he will present more than 30 definitive forms of proof that there is no doubt who this psychopathic assassin known as Jack the Ripper really was." If he is right, everybody who has preceded him is a dumb idiot. We shall have to wait and see, but I am not hopeful.

Doug.

Comment

Hi Doug,

Which brings me to the forthcoming book from Santa Cruz.
        Other than the Casebook Blotter blog post reprinting the author's press release, I believe that's the first anyone even bothered to mention this on the boards. I think the few people have looked at that just sort of snickered and moved on, not even feeling something so laughable was worth refuting.

Trying to prove who Jack the Ripper was using graphology on the Maybrick Diary is like trying to prove the existence of extraterrestrial life by comparing astrological charts of the actors who starred in Close Encounters of the Third Kind. It's at least two separate levels of sheer absurdity rolled into one bizarre premise.

Dan Norder
        Ripper Notes: The International Journal for Ripper Studies
        Web site: www.RipperNotes.com - Email: dannorder@gmail.com

Comment

Trying to prove who Jack the Ripper was using graphology

About my view as well.

Taking the other side for the moment, it seems to be accepted that Maybrick's Will in the Probate Office is in his own handwriting. As a lawyer, I would have expected it to be engrossed in his Solicitor's office for signing, which could explain the beautiful, regular copperplate. Anyway, it was only seeing a recent documentary out here and wondering whether there were two diaries, that set me posting. I saw the book on a library shelf a few years ago, and thought that the diaries there related to an unknown person. I am now satisfied that the same diaries are involved.

Anything seems to go, sometimes. A while back, the Ripper's knife was (supposedly) up for auction. The desire for profit seems to breed disregard for truth.

Cheers,

Doug.

Comment

Much has been said about the Diaries...
            Diaries ???

The thought of more than one gives me the willies.

Love,

Caz
            X
            "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

In the only forgery case I have handled, the expert advised that pressure of the pen was important, and ruled out using a photocopy of the document.
              No doubt! You cant just trace a signature and expect to get away with it. The way the writer uses the pen in his hand is what is important. The real experts know what they are doing and are reliable. If anyone thinks he can learn to be an expert forensics documents examiner by reading books I doubt if they could ever rise above the level of below average. Seems to me that sort of stuff takes alot of experience and finesse. What they are looking for dont get transferred in a photocopy!!

Comment

Douglaid,

None of this matters a toss, because no way was James Maybrick the Whitechapel Killer, but:

- he definitely did have business interests in London and apparently had an office in The Minories; it may be that he conducted some business for a firm run by a Gustave Witt at 4 Cullum Street, not far from The Minories;

- he also visited his brother Michael in London;

- it is very, very likely that he had a mistress (Sarah Robinson) in London. She may also have been married to him and bore him at least one child;

- the chances are that his Will was hand-written by a professional clerk employed for that specific task by his brother Michael;

- his wife Florence referred to something James told her about his life, but added that he did so 'only to frighten her'; this could be anything. I mean, he could have been a secret supporter of Everton FC rather than Liverpool...

- Mike Barrett said many things, and then generally contradicted them. If his wife hand-wrote the Diary then she was capable of immensely altering her 'normal' hand-writing, an example of which is illustrated in Caz's book.

- if there is an Australian origin for the Diary, then it has yet to be proven.

- time for bed.

- how's it feel to be behind the Poms in the Olympic Medal stakes???

Cheers,

Graham
                We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

And one more...

- he wrote in a hand that was nothing at all like the writing in the diary.

Oh, well...

--John

Comment

Working...
                  X