ORIGINAL doors in Miller's court

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ORIGINAL doors in Miller's court

The front door is original. there would be a back door which would be either Mary's room door (No.13) or poss the small window of No13 that was bricked up into a small window over the course of the house's life.

The other door in the passage way (prater's). Would this be an original door? I can see no reason for having an original doorway in this passage when the front door was perfectly adequate. Prater's door would not have been an original feature (used as the back door) because obviously it wasn't in the back of the house. So it must have been added after. Added for what purpose?
    If it was to access the upper floors when they utilised the shed then they must have also built a new staircase which would be a big and costly task when they could simply partition off the shed from the original front door and keep using the front door. the Shed could be accessed via the double barn doors.

I want to ascertain the original features (doors & windows) of No.26 before the modifications were added.
    JtRmap.com<< JtR Interactive Map
    JtRmap FORM << Use this form to make suggestions for map annotations
    ---------------------------------------------------
    JtR3d.com << JtR 3D & #VR Website

Used to be a tall gate at the end of the passage.

Fair bit of discussion on this a year or two ago.

Last edited by DJA; 02-12-2018, 09:47 PM. Reason: Link
    My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

Originally posted by richardh View Post
      The front door is original. there would be a back door which would be either Mary's room door (No.13) or poss the small window of No13 that was bricked up into a small window over the course of the house's life.

The other door in the passage way (prater's). Would this be an original door? I can see no reason for having an original doorway in this passage when the front door was perfectly adequate. Prater's door would not have been an original feature (used as the back door) because obviously it wasn't in the back of the house. So it must have been added after. Added for what purpose?
      If it was to access the upper floors when they utilised the shed then they must have also built a new staircase which would be a big and costly task when they could simply partition off the shed from the original front door and keep using the front door. the Shed could be accessed via the double barn doors.

I want to ascertain the original features (doors & windows) of No.26 before the modifications were added.
      I have always assumed that the front room, Mary’s and what is described as a storeroom, were originally a shop. So the front entry off Dorset St.
      G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Think the whole shebang was a townhouse originally,with 13 being the rear parlor.

Comment

I guess, what i'm asking is... were the passageway doors (No13 & Prater's) Original? there from the get-go?

Comment

I guess, what i'm asking is... were the passageway doors (No13 & Prater's) Original? there from the get-go?
            I’ve always thought the original back door was converted into the smaller back window. It’s the same height as the other door to the side, and about the correct width for a door.
            I’m with you in thinking Kelly’s door was a later knock through.
            It was possibly converted into a window because I believe they used to store handcarts round the back and this would block the back exit.

Comment

Hello richardh

Good question. I have no proof; considering an original configuration for the house, Prater's door could have been in the design. If, for instance, a gate-door to the courtyard could be closed or locked, Prater's door would serve as an entrance to the house from within the court (so that a resident would not have to walk out to Dorset Street to enter the residence). I'm thinking of a design along the lines of 40 Berners Street with its' side access.
              there,s nothing new, only the unexplored

Comment

I posted some years ago that the smaller rear window of room 13 may have been the original backdoor, later bricked up as a window.
                This back door led to a passage which took you to the stairwell in the center of the house, there being an internal partition wall, later removed, to separate this passage from room 13.

This is the reason the door we see wallpapered over behind the bed is several feet away from the corner of the room. This, I suspect, was the original internal door to enter room 13 from the stairwell. There would have been no backdoor for room 13 originally.
                This is very similar to a turn of the century Brownstone terrace house I grew up in.
                Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
                  I have always assumed that the front room, Mary’s and what is described as a storeroom, were originally a shop. So the front entry off Dorset St.
                  Hi GUT
                  I suspect the front room of No.26, referred to as a 'shed' in some reports, was a shop at one time.
                  The passage door (Praters?), would have been the common entry for the residents/tenants, to avoid them coming in through the shop.
                  Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
                    Hi GUT
                    I suspect the front room of No.26, referred to as a 'shed' in some reports, was a shop at one time.
                    The passage door (Praters?), would have been the common entry for the residents/tenants, to avoid them coming in through the shop.
                    More or less how I see it. In that door to the stairs up to rooms abov3 the shop. And that’d make Mary’s room either a store room for the shop or maybe a kitchen to cook what they sold.
                    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

So we are back to the theory that the stairs (ORIGINAL) went across the width of the house? If this is the case, and with the ORIGINAL door to 13 being a few feet from the passage wall, then the stairs would be going up and turning to the right onto the landing above?

I have in mind also the discussion we've had in the past regarding the goings on during the lizzie Robets murder in room 19 a few years later. That [suggested] layout needs to be considered in relation to this discussion too.

I have to say that I find this whole subject a HUGH headache and very frustrating as I continue to build my VR Miller's Court. I am trying to arrive at a plan using logic and common sense but I fear any design will fall short of being an accurate version!

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
                      I posted some years ago that the smaller rear window of room 13 may have been the original backdoor, later bricked up as a window.
                      This back door led to a passage which took you to the stairwell in the center of the house, there being an internal partition wall, later removed, to separate this passage from room 13.

This is the reason the door we see wallpapered over behind the bed is several feet away from the corner of the room. This, I suspect, was the original internal door to enter room 13 from the stairwell. There would have been no backdoor for room 13 originally.
                      This is very similar to a turn of the century Brownstone terrace house I grew up in.

Comment

Richard I doubt we will ever no for certain and no matter where you place them there will be some who insist it’s wrong.

I will say this, what’s the likelihood they went to a fair bit of expense and moved them when digging the place up for cheap rooms
                        G U T

Comment

Indeed, GUT
                          I'm amazed they managed to squeeze 7 rooms into No 26.

Originally posted by GUT View Post
                          Richard I doubt we will ever no for certain and no matter where you place them there will be some who insist it’s wrong.

I will say this, what’s the likelihood they went to a fair bit of expense and moved them when digging the place up for cheap rooms

Comment

Try visualizing a town house with a back garden and a rear parlor.
                            The rear parlor had entry through the house and a rear door to access the garden. It was self contained as far as heating and tea making.The chimney suggests original equipment.
                            The staircase door is an alternative to using the front door.

Millers Court was built much later and the rear parlor partitioned off.

There was a drawing on the internet of an original tall security gate at the back of the passage.
                            Firefox no longer accesses it,however another browser might.

Keep up the Good Work!

Edit. The original doorway was probably mentioned in some descriptions of the partition.

So we are back to the theory that the stairs (ORIGINAL) went across the width of the house? If this is the case, and with the ORIGINAL door to 13 being a few feet from the passage wall, then the stairs would be going up and turning to the right onto the landing above?

I have in mind also the discussion we've had in the past regarding the goings on during the lizzie Robets murder in room 19 a few years later. That [suggested] layout needs to be considered in relation to this discussion too.

I have to say that I find this whole subject a HUGH headache and very frustrating as I continue to build my VR Miller's Court. I am trying to arrive at a plan using logic and common sense but I fear any design will fall short of being an accurate version!
                            Last edited by DJA; 02-15-2018, 04:54 PM.

Comment

I was in Hobart recently, some buildings built early-mid 1800s a few were not unlike Miller’s Court.

Shop, lane, shop.

Behind them accommodation accessed via the lane, my first thought, “Miller’s Court” later rearrange$ to make McCarthy’s shop and rooms to rent, plus the shed.
                              G U T

Comment

Working...
                              X