No announcement yet.

The Goulston Street Apron

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'E used sarcasm. Oh, 'e knew all the tricks.

Hello Rivkah. Thanks.

Well, for sarcasm, just leave the words, "Doug Piranha"--I'll understand.

By "neat" in this context is meant that the words were well formed.

Cheers.
    LC

Comment

Originally posted by RivkahChaya View Post
      So, you think a Jew agreed with the graffito, and gave it a thumbs up? in that case, what do you think it meant?
      Many options here...I'll throw out one. I believe the killer agreed with the graffiti and that the police thought it would be construed as some sort of Jewish solidarity and when connected to the apron (valid or not), such a thing would have caused major attacks against the Jewish community, and that's why it was erased. What it really meant is a 50/50 proposition. If the killer was a Jew, he agreed with the pro-Jew message he saw. If a gentile, with the anti-Jew message. An anti-Jew message would not have warranted quick erasure. It would have been a somewhat normal thing and not worth getting rid of evidence.

Mike
      huh?

Comment

No one going to ask the obvious question huh?

I'm gonna have to be the one, eh?

Ok....Hi Simon,

Can I ask where can this letter be viewed?

Cheer
        Monty
        Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Originally posted by Monty View Post
          Hi Monty,

At least it tells us that Eddowes was wearing the apron.

Regards,

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by m_w_r View Post
            Hi Monty,

At least it tells us that Eddowes was wearing the apron.

Regards,

Mark
            That is true Mark.

Monty
            Monty

Comment

Does anyone know for certain which of the four staircases of the Wentworth Model Dwellings was the one where the piece of apron was dropped? I know it gave access to apartments 108 - 119 but which one was it? The distinctive stonework above all of the doorways are still there and all look identical so it is difficult to tell today. If it was the one at the right hand (south) end of the building it might indicate that he was heading towards the Whitechapel Road, if any of the others it would seem more likely he was heading north.

Also, does anyone know when the plaque marking the spot in Mitre Square where Carherine Eddowes was murdered disappeared? I was there yesterday and it was missing.

Prosector

Comment

Originally posted by Monty View Post
                No one going to ask the obvious question huh?

I'm gonna have to be the one, eh?

Ok....Hi Simon,

Cheer
                Monty
                And more importantly, if it's genuine, what was the response if any?
                Regards

Observer
                Last edited by Observer; 03-03-2013, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Prosector View Post
                  Does anyone know for certain which of the four staircases of the Wentworth Model Dwellings was the one where the piece of apron was dropped? I know it gave access to apartments 108 - 119 but which one was it? The distinctive stonework above all of the doorways are still there and all look identical so it is difficult to tell today. If it was the one at the right hand (south) end of the building it might indicate that he was heading towards the Whitechapel Road, if any of the others it would seem more likely he was heading north.

Also, does anyone know when the plaque marking the spot in Mitre Square where Carherine Eddowes was murdered disappeared? I was there yesterday and it was missing.

Prosector
                  Hi Prosector

This one

Click image for larger version

Name:	went reduced.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	267.5 KB
ID:	664832

Regards

Observer

Comment

Why are we now questioning the identity of the apron fragment simply because some policeman asked for clarification. Is there any documentary evidence to suggest that Met officials were unhappy with the issue? Do we have their response to the City force?

Phil

Comment

Thanks Observer - so the third from the right as you face the building. Without wishing to question your authority does anyone know if there is any evidence for that or has it always just been accepted that that was the one?

Prosector

Comment

"Constable Alfred Long, 254 A, Metropolitan police: I was on duty in Goulston-street, Whitechapel, on Sunday morning, Sept. 30, and about five minutes to three o'clock I found a portion of a white apron (produced). There were recent stains of blood on it. The apron was lying in the passage leading to the staircase of Nos. 106 to 119, a model dwelling-house. Above on the wall was written in chalk, "The Jews are the men that will not be blamed for nothing." I at once searched the staircase and areas of the building, but did not find anything else. I took the apron to Commercial-road Police-station and reported to the inspector on duty. "

Monty
                        Monty

Comment

No problem Prosector. As Monty reveals, the testimony of PC Long confirms the nunber of the building. Old large scale OS maps confirm that the Happy Days chippy is the building in question. If I'm not mistaken for many years the building was thought to have been demolished. I believe the crime writer Richard Whitington Egan "re-discovered" the site. A photograph of the site in it's original state first appeared in Stephen Knights "Final Solution".

Regards

Observer
                          Last edited by Observer; 03-03-2013, 06:15 PM.

Comment

Its numbered on the Goads map.

Yeah, Peter Underwood incorrectly identified it in his book as a building some yards to the south.

Monty
                            Monty

Comment

Furthermore, it's nigh on certain I'd say that the murderer entered Goulston Street from New Goulston Street and then headed North up Goulston Street dropping the apron piece at the entrance of Nos 106 to 119. It's anybody's guess what happened next. He could have crossed Wentworth Street and headed North up Bell Lane? West along Wentworth Street? East along Wentworth Street? Did he double back and head South down Goulston Street? Whisked away in a flying saucer?

Regards

Observer

Comment

Thank you for that. I agree, having walked it yesterday, that he almost certainly entered Goulston Street via New Goulston Street in which case the doorway in question is thirty yards or so to the north of the junction. However, that may have been a good place to leave it if was actually heading towards the Whitechapel Road as it would throw people off the scent and make them think he was heading north.

Prosector

Comment

Working...
                                X