Ethical question about fiction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ethical question about fiction

I'm currently writing a novella about the Automn of Terror.

My specialty so far, is writing about fake conspiracies of the past.
    But it's the first time I need to involve people who actually existed.

I mean absolutely no disrespect for these people, it's just that I like to create strange twists.

Would a foreword explaining this be enough, you think?

Since I'm not writing in English, I don't mind telling you the two problematics.

1- Edward Buchen, who committed suicide on the day that MJK was put in the ground, is involved in the conspiracy. In the fiction, he is a criminal and passes off as a shoemaker.

2- The man who went to the police after MJK's inquest is not George Hutchinson. He is one of the men involved in the conspiracy. He gives a completely false testimony to confuse the police. He never met MJK, and there was never a rich dressed man in the area that night.

I'm not looking for comments on my choice, but I am willing to consider what would be the proper way to say this is purely fictional, and I mean no disrespect to the people or their descendants.

Thank you.
    Is it progress when a cannibal uses a fork?
    - Stanislaw Jerzy Lee

I don't think that warning the reader it's a fiction is needed. Your literary agent will present it that way to potential publishers and your publisher will introduce it as a fiction on the back cover, in the distribution and marketing of the book, etc.

I've just finished a 450 page fiction novel which I consider falling in the 'Historical Drama' category and I'm currently looking for a literary agent. I'm no expert but I'll tell what was however important for me to do.

First of all we're talking about fiction. So that means one can build any story he wants as long as everything holds up together within the realm of the plot. For example, I wouldn't have a Martian suddenly landing in Whitechapel in 1888 who will turn out to be the leader of a conspiracy unless you're planing on writing some piece of science-fiction which is a fiction subcategory.

When the story is related to actual historical events, one must not contradict what has already been documented. For example, I wouldn't introduce MJK as a post-op transsexual given the coroner's description of the slain body.

Never forget that some of the readers will probably know more than you do about what you've written and will examine what you offer them including the names of the streets. Hence, historical research is very important, probably as much as skillfully writing. What I did, as most novel writers do, was setting up an ensemble of bread crumbs bringing the reader to 'walk' on a plausible path where actual events took place. Plausible is the keyword. A careful blending of facts and fiction crumbs is what will make regular readers and 'experts', appreciate your story. Allow the reader to pick up some of these bread crumbs by having for example one of your characters mentioning them further along the story line. But don't forget to add some 'deception sauce' preventing the reader from building back the loaf to quickly. I'd call that 'setting up the table'. Think of the Hercule Poirot movies. He would reveal all the ingredients of the meal in the last 5 minutes.

Cheers.

Comment

I actually applaud your proposal to explain in your forward, my wife writes Historical works both non-fiction [text books and refereed journals] and historical fiction [not yet published as she is still not happy with them] it is something we have discussed at length and both concluded that when dealing with historical figures it is the right thing to do.

But I also accept that not everyone agrees with this point of view.
      G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

There's always the question of attributing pieces of fiction to people who actually existed and are well known. For example, if your plot involves Abberline how far can you go by having him say whatever comes to your mind? Does the writer warn the reader that although he was a real person, what he says is strictly fictitious? Hmm!!!

I opened Dan Brown's Da Vinci Code and all he does is mentioning in his acknowledgements the existence of The Priory of Sion and Opus Dei. Others may do otherwise. Is there a rule defining what must been said by the author whenever a mixture of facts and fiction becomes the basic component of a plot? May I suggest subscribing to Writer's net and ask them: (http://www.writers.net/forum/).

On the other hand, I presume your eventual literary agent and publisher as well as mine will tell us what would be advisable.

Cheers,
        Hercule Poirot

Comment

Possibly the title of the novel or novella can hint that one needs to accept some form of poetic license - The Blood Storm Rises: A Horror Story, for example. It signals the public that it is not pure fact, like "The Last Voyage of the Lusitania". On the other hand, Walter Lord's classic account of the sinking of the Titanic is "A Night to Remember", which might have been a title of a really good romantic tryst.

Jeff

Comment

I have a published historical fiction novel covering both the issues leading up to the Maiden Tribute of Modern Babylon and Mary Kelly's hypothetical life story. Readers do understand that both are hypothetical and read it as such, but they also like being transported to other places and times where they learn something in the process. Historical fiction is historical fiction, and every adaptation of past, real events and characters from Shakespeare's Richard III to today has artistic licence on real events.

In my story of course, Kelly and Barnett converse, have sex and do the things that couples do! You can't get around that! Abberline makes an appearance and has a conversation with a wholly fictional character, although the issues he talks about are the issues of the time.

It's quite weird to write such things but sales have been good, reviews excellent, and reviewers and readers have taken on board the nature of the work. Women in particular feel closer to the ripper victims after being part of what it was like at the time.

Comment

Maidens in the Night, a quite recent publication. I googled your name and found it. An Amazon reader gave a good review. I hope it all goes well.

Comment

Working...
              X