Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
General Suspect Discussion: What EAR/ONS teaches us about JtR - by Harry D 1 hours ago.
General Suspect Discussion: Favorite suspect/s? - by MrBarnett 1 hour and 7 minutes ago.
Witnesses: Caroline Maxwell Alibi ? - by Joshua Rogan 1 hour and 29 minutes ago.
Witnesses: Caroline Maxwell Alibi ? - by packers stem 2 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Witnesses: Caroline Maxwell Alibi ? - (25 posts)
General Suspect Discussion: Favorite suspect/s? - (9 posts)
Mary Jane Kelly: Mary Kellys Inquest - (5 posts)
Rippercast: Colin Wilson: Jack the Ripper Conference in Ipswich, 1996 - (3 posts)
General Suspect Discussion: What EAR/ONS teaches us about JtR - (2 posts)
Motive, Method and Madness: What was occuring in 1888? - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Media > Periodicals > Whitchapel Society 1888 Journal

Old 06-01-2008, 07:42 PM
Constable

Default Whitechapel Society presentation June 2008

Hi All, The Whitechapel Society can announce that this Saturday, 7th June, our speaker Sarah Wise will be using her presentation as a book lauch and signing session.

'The Blackest Streets: The Life and Death of a Victorian Slum '

Full details of the meeting can be found on our website - www.whitechapelsociety.com

Join the Whitechapel Society today!

Frogg Moody.

Here is the book press release for this not to be missed meeting.

The Blackest Streets: The Life and Death of a Victorian Slum
Publisher: Bodley Head, £20, 1st June 2008

Using a rich archival store, Sarah Wise reconstructs how life was really lived in the Old Nichol - the 15-acre area of London's East End with a reputation for criminality, disease and dilapidation that was so bad in 1887 that inspectors for a quasi-governmental commission were sent in to report on conditions.

The inspectors discovered horrifying living conditions in the Old Nichol's 30 or so streets and learned of how these rotting, 100 year-old houses were in fact among the most lucrative property in London for their owners - who included peers of the realm, local politicians, churchmen and lawyers. Profits of as much as 150% per annum could be made by slumlords, and one estimate in the Daily Telegraph of 1889 stated that per cubic foot, the rents of these death-traps were between four and ten times those charged in Belgravia and Mayfair.

The Blackest streets explores the real lives behind the myths about the Old Nichol, and turns the gaze back on the 'respectable' observers and their various theories about how to solve the poverty problem. Some of their more extreme suggestions included mass forced emigration, internment camps and the prevention of breeding - in line with contemporary 'racial degeneration' theory. Anarchists and Communists also came to explore and to gauge to what extent revolutionary feeling might exist among the very poor. But the Nichol was also a battleground of religious thinking, with various shades of Protestantism doing battle with each other - and with religious apathy - to save souls.

As with Sarah Wise's acclaimed debut book The Italian Boy (2004), The Blackest Streets is a portrait of one era giving way to another, and she reveals that a much more complex mix of population existed among the chronically poor than many commentators were aware of. She puts back on record tales of endurance and kindness, while analysing the social and political structures that created and sustained this black hole at the heart of the Empire.

Sarah Wise is the author of The Italian Boy: Murder and Grave-Robbery in 1830s London (Jonathan Cape), which was shortlisted for the 2005 Samuel Johnson Prize for Non-Fiction and won the Crime Writers' Association 2005 Gold Dagger for Non-Fiction. She lives in central London and reviews for the Daily Telegraph and the Literary Review.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 08:43 PM
Commisioner

Thanks for the heads-up, Frogg,

I am sure Sarah Wise covers this shameful episode in her book [which I will be buying], but for those who, like me, cannot attend her Whitechapel Society presentation I hope the attached New York Times article [23 October 1888] proves illuminating.

Name:  NYT 23 OCT 1888.jpg
Views: 599
Size:  121.2 KB

Not to put too fine a point on things, despite all his noble words and motivations Lord Salisbury, Prime Minister, First Lord of the Treasury, Leader of the House of Lords and "leading authority on the housing of the poor", appears to have been little more than just another greedy, grasping b*stard.

It is well to remember when considering social conditions during the WM with just how much contempt the privileged classes viewed others less fortunate.

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

Regards,

Simon

Last edited by Simon Wood : 06-01-2008 at 09:11 PM. Reason: pun,ctu.a;shun
Old 06-01-2008, 11:06 PM
Constable

Thanks for that Simon,
I have been looking forward to this particular meeting for ages and Paul Begg recently told me that he has great respect for Sarah.

For those who are unable to make the meeting, a full report will appear in our August edition of the Whitechapel Journal.

On the subject of the Journal, we have a great line-up of articles in the June edition including;

REVISITING THE MAYBRICK 'DIARY' BY BILL BEADLE
KLOSOWSKI'S HASTINGS BY MARK BRIDGER
BRIAN L. PORTER TALKS ABOUT THE WRITING OF HIS BOOK, 'A STUDY IN SCARLET'.
MAP OF THE DAY BY JOHN BENNETT
ANDY & SUE PARLOUR ON THEIR FAMILY INVOLVEMENT IN THE MATCHGIRLS STRIKE OF 1888.
A REPORT ON THE RECENT TALK GIVEN TO THE WS BY SHIRLEY HARRISON
THE WALL TILE PICTURES OF EAST END PUBS BY FROGG MOODY
AND MUCH MORE!

DON'T MISS OUT, SUBSCRIBE TODAY BY GOING TO;
www.whitechapelsociety.com

Frogg Moody
Old 06-02-2008, 01:10 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Wood View Post
Thanks for the heads-up, Frogg,

I am sure Sarah Wise covers this shameful episode in her book [which I will be buying], but for those who, like me, cannot attend her Whitechapel Society presentation I hope the attached New York Times article [23 October 1888] proves illuminating.

Attachment 2003

Not to put too fine a point on things, despite all his noble words and motivations Lord Salisbury, Prime Minister, First Lord of the Treasury, Leader of the House of Lords and "leading authority on the housing of the poor", appears to have been little more than just another greedy, grasping b*stard.

It is well to remember when considering social conditions during the WM with just how much contempt the privileged classes viewed others less fortunate.

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

Regards,

Simon
Thanks for that luminating little news piece Simon.I am not surprised.I mean an awful lot of Salisbury"s trouble with "Fenians"/ " The Irish Nationalists "etc in the 1880"s, was due to himself and the rest of the British Government rejecting Irish Home Rule .Why so? Well Bill Clinton had the answer in a slightly different context----didnt he say, 'Its the economy stupid"?---Or put simply,its due to greed! As was the slum landlording of Lord Salisbury in 1888,the condition of the poor in the East End , the troubles over the "Fenians" you name it -----plus c'est la meme chose!
BTW-the meeting sounds good,must try to make it.

Last edited by Natalie Severn : 06-02-2008 at 01:12 AM.
Old 06-02-2008, 02:41 AM
Chief Inspector

Hi Simon

Thanks for the information about Cecil Court which has always been one of my favourite London streets. Some interesting stuff about it here:

http://www.cecilcourt.co.uk/
Old 06-02-2008, 02:48 AM
Premium Member
Premium Member

And here I thought I was the only one who knew about Cecil Court. It's always among the first places I head to in London...especially Nigel Williams' fascinating, if pricey, book shop.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:20 PM
Inspector

Is Cecil Court the place where Edwin Bush killed a lady shopkeeper who made a racist slur at him in 1961?

PHILIP
Old 06-04-2008, 08:43 PM
Premium Member
Premium Member

Yeah, that's right...at number 23.
Old 06-05-2008, 08:51 PM
Premium Member
Premium Member

I'm really looking forward to this meeting and the book. One of my ancestors was recorded as living in New Nichol Street in 1861. He was a silk weaver who had previously lived in Bacon Street, off Brick Lane in 1851.

JB

Last edited by John Bennett : 06-05-2008 at 08:57 PM.
Old 06-07-2008, 12:34 PM
Constable

Cheers John,
I look forward to seeing you there tonight. The presentation is also a book launch and signing session with the book at a reduced price.

This is going to be a superb meeting so be there!

Sarah Wise - Book Launch and presentation

Frogg Moody.

The Blackest Streets - Sarah WiseThe Blackest Streets: The Life and Death of a Victorian Slum

Publisher: Bodley Head, £20, 1st June 2008

Using a rich archival store, Sarah Wise reconstructs how life was really lived in the Old Nichol - the 15-acre area of London's East End with a reputation for criminality, disease and dilapidation that was so bad in 1887 that inspectors for a quasi-governmental commission were sent in to report on conditions.

The inspectors discovered horrifying living conditions in the Old Nichol's 30 or so streets and learned of how these rotting, 100 year-old houses were in fact among the most lucrative property in London for their owners - who included peers of the realm, local politicians, churchmen and lawyers. Profits of as much as 150% per annum could be made by slumlords, and one estimate in the Daily Telegraph of 1889 stated that per cubic foot, the rents of these death-traps were between four and ten times those charged in Belgravia and Mayfair.

The Blackest streets explores the real lives behind the myths about the Old Nichol, and turns the gaze back on the 'respectable' observers and their various theories about how to solve the poverty problem. Some of their more extreme suggestions included mass forced emigration, internment camps and the prevention of breeding - in line with contemporary 'racial degeneration' theory. Anarchists and Communists also came to explore and to gauge to what extent revolutionary feeling might exist among the very poor. But the Nichol was also a battleground of religious thinking, with various shades of Protestantism doing battle with each other - and with religious apathy - to save souls.

As with Sarah Wise's acclaimed debut book The Italian Boy (2004), The Blackest Streets is a portrait of one era giving way to another, and she reveals that a much more complex mix of population existed among the chronically poor than many commentators were aware of. She puts back on record tales of endurance and kindness, while analysing the social and political structures that created and sustained this black hole at the heart of the Empire.

Sarah Wise is the author of The Italian Boy: Murder and Grave-Robbery in 1830s London (Jonathan Cape), which was shortlisted for the 2005 Samuel Johnson Prize for Non-Fiction and won the Crime Writers' Association 2005 Gold Dagger for Non-Fiction. She lives in central London and reviews for the Daily Telegraph and the Literary Review.