Retreating footsteps of the killer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retreating footsteps of the killer?

I just read the article on Frances Coles again and found something interesting, at least to me. PC Thompson heard the retreating footsteps of a man whom he thought was heading towards Mansell Street.

My question is now: How likely is it that those were the killer's footsteps? As far as I understood, Thompson heard the footfalls some little time before he found Coles' body and Coles apparently was still alive when found. I don't know how long one can survive with a deepy cut throat, but I don't think very long. So, could that man even have murdered Coles when he was already off in the distance at a time when the victim was still bleeding to death?

That also seems to indicate to me that the killer was not directly disturbed by Thompson and thus prevented from mutilating this victim, as some claim in favor the Ripper having done it.

What do you guys think?
    In heaven I am a wild ox
    On earth I am a lion
    A jester from hell and shadows almighty
    The scientist of darkness
    Older than the constellations
    The mysterious jinx and the error in heaven's masterplan

Hi Hellrider

If he was disturbed by Thompson then he wouldnt have retreated toward Mansell Street, as that would have meant he was moving towards the PC.

Monty
    Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

But then Thompson must have been in error, otherwise he would have seen the man if he was indeed heading towards him?
      In heaven I am a wild ox
      On earth I am a lion

Comment

Swallow Gardens

PC Thompson was walking along Chamber Street in a westerly direction, from the direction of Leman Street towards the Swallow Gardens rail arch and Mansell Street. He heard footsteps, apparently those of a man, some way ahead of him going away from him towards Mansell Street. He was not sufficiently close to discern the person.

From this it appears obvious that he was too far away from the Swallow Gardens Arch to have disturbed the man, if he was the killer (which seems likely), and that the offender had fled immediately after inflicting the fatal wound. PC Thompson did not follow in the direction of the footsteps (at that time he was not aware of the body under the arch), but turned left into the Swallow Gardens arch and discovered Coles' body. He stated that he discerned a movement of one eyelid and he remained with the body. The body was quite warm and bleeding.
        SPE

Treat me gently I'm a newbie.

Comment

Illustrated Police News

It was assumed by the press that the approach of PC Thompson had alarmed the killer, this from the Illustrated Police News of March 7, 1891 -

Click image for larger version

Name:	iln7mar1891.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	202.5 KB
ID:	657506
          SPE

Treat me gently I'm a newbie.

Comment

thank you sharing that information, Stewart!

So, was the Swallow Gardens arch part of Thompson's regular beat then?
            In heaven I am a wild ox
            On earth I am a lion

Comment

Hellrider

Thompsons beat was east along Great Prescott st to Leman st. South briefly on Leman St to Chamber st. West along Chamber St to Mansell St. North briefly on Mansell and back to Great Prescott St.

Yes, Swallow Gardens was part of his beat, was Abel Buildings. He was leaving Abel buildings and heading toward Swaloow Gardens when he heard the footsteps.

Monty
              Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Newton's Encyclopedia of Unsolved Crimes treats this slaying as an interesting unsolved murder disconnected from JtR. I don't think that's a bad approach.
                Last edited by sdreid; 08-31-2009, 11:20 PM. Reason: didn't edit so what's this?
                This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

yeah, but for us as so called "Ripperologists", is it even possible to investigate this crime completely disconnected from the other "Ripper murders"?

If the killer had already fled the scene without being disturbed by Thompson, this seems to point to an "opprtunity killer" (maybe drunk, during a quarrel...) who then realizes what he's done and flees in horror rather than somebody that kills in order to be able to mutilate.
                  In heaven I am a wild ox
                  On earth I am a lion

Comment

Working...
                  X