Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you could only ask five yes-or-no questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you could only ask five yes-or-no questions...

Let's say one day you encounter an omniscient entity who knows everything there is to know about the Whitechapel Murders. He knows who killed whom, he knows all the ins and outs of the investigation. Everything.

If you were only able to ask him FIVE yes-or-no questions, what would they be?

Originally posted by Harry D View Post
    Let's say one day you encounter an omniscient entity who knows everything there is to know about the Whitechapel Murders. He knows who killed whom, he knows all the ins and outs of the investigation. Everything.

1- Were all the victims killed by the same person
    2- Was the killer a known suspect?
    3- Did the killer live in the area?
    4- Will we the public ever know who the killer was
    5- and just to satisfy Pinkmoon--- was it Bigfoot???

Steadmund Brand
    "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

Questions 2, 3, 4, 5. would be redundant if you simply asked, "what was the killer's name"?

Cut to the chase my friend!
      Regards, Jon S.

Comment

But they have to be Yes or No questions

Steadmund Brand
        "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

Do you bowl
          Where the kids little brats
          Which case was your biggest win
          Can I have your wig and gown

[Well t was Montie]
          G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

1 - Were all of the canonical 5 killed by the same person?
            2 - Were any of the other Whitechapel murders by the same person?
            3 - Will we ever find any evidence to prove who did it?
            4 - Was the GSG written by the killer of Catherine Eddowes?
            5 - Is the killer someone who has had a book written about them in this context?

I am not sure if any of the answers would actually help in any way though.

Comment

I'm not sure what I'd ask for questions 2 - 5, but for #1 I'd probably risk :

"Are you prepared to tell me, here and now, the name(s) of the murderer(s) and the relevant details?"

I know it's risking wasting a question, but if the omniscient being says "Yes" then I've hit the jackpot.

Comment

Originally posted by Steadmund Brand View Post
                1- Were all the victims killed by the same person
                2- Was the killer a known suspect?
                3- Did the killer live in the area?
                4- Will we the public ever know who the killer was
                5- and just to satisfy Pinkmoon--- was it Bigfoot???

Steadmund Brand
                I hope you are not trying to ridicule my theory.p.s not tempted to ask about the royal baby the diary from Liverpool the shawl/table cloth dear old Vincent and the retired coppers who all knew but never got round to telling us.
                Last edited by pinkmoon; 06-03-2015, 02:45 PM.
                Three things in life that don't stay hidden for to long ones the sun ones the moon and the other is the truth

Comment

1. Was he Kosminski?
                  2. Was there a reason for the murders beyond blood lust?
                  3. Did he live in Whitechapel?
                  4. Did he kill all the canonical five?
                  5. Did he kill more than those canonical five?

Comment

Originally posted by pinkmoon View Post
                    I hope you are not trying to ridicule my theory.p.s not tempted to ask about the royal baby the diary from Liverpool the shawl/table cloth dear old Vincent and the retired coppers who all knew but never got round to telling us.
                    What did you do with the undies.
                    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry D View Post

It sounds like you're describing a Five Questions with Tom Wescott.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

1. Were the Canonical 5 killed by the same person?
                        2. Was the Goulston Street Graffiti written by the killer?
                        3. Was the killer a resident of Whitechapel?
                        4. Did the killings stop because the killer died or was incarcerated?
                        5. Was the letter to Mr. Lusk (with the kidney) from the killer?
                        Bond. Greg Bond

Comment

Beowulf's first question "Was it Kosminski?" is the correct strategy but should be used in all five questions. I would ask Tom the omniscient entity five "Was it (insert suspect)?" questions.

Best case scenario: The identity of Jack the Ripper is revealed.

Worst case (Next best?) scenario: Most of our favorite theories are decimated. Could you imagine if Kosminski, Druitt, Hutch, Kelly, and Cross were conclusively eliminated as suspects? Would Casebook survive? Would we be left debating if Lechmere is still viable because the question asked about Cross?

Seriously, the addition by subtraction advantage of asking about five "suspects" is the way to go in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnaby View Post
                            Beowulf's first question "Was it Kosminski?" is the correct strategy but should be used in all five questions. I would ask Tom the omniscient entity five "Was it (insert suspect)?" questions.

Worst case (Next best?) scenario: Most of our favorite theories are decimated. Could you imagine if Kosminski, Druitt, Hutch, Kelly, and Cross were conclusively eliminated as suspects? Would Casebook survive? Would we be left debating if Lechmere is still viable because the question asked about Cross?

Seriously, the addition by subtraction advantage of asking about five "suspects" is the way to go in my opinion.
                            I was actually thinking the same thing.
                            G U T

Comment

Originally posted by Barnaby View Post

I think that would simply refocus the debate. In other words, if the answer to all the suspects put forward as JtR is "No", does that mean they were innocent? Or does it mean that there was no JtR, i.e because at least one of the victims was killed by someone else?

Of course, just about any answer could be open to interpretation. If you asked "were all the victims killed by the same person?" And the answer was "NO", does that mean "No" as regards the C5, or "No" because, say, Smith, Mylett or Coles were killed by someone else?
                              Last edited by John G; 06-03-2015, 11:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X