Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fishing for answers: A Net?

Hello all,

The thread concerns one of the methods the police routinely use when they intend to draw a criminal to them with the intent to capture them or to contain a criminal when they know the whereabouts. Its a method that is used to keep "subject(s)" within a police patrolled border. Its the setting up of a "Net".

One of the reasons I remain somewhat skeptical about an automatic inclusion of Catharine Eddowes to the Canonical Group is that from my perspective the 7 or 8 people that were closest to her when she is killed are active or retired police officers. There was Pearce and another City constable residing in the square itself...(I cant recall the other PC's name)...there was Marriot, Halse and Outram looking through nearby streets and lanes, there was Morris the nightwatchman, there was Harvey that looked into the square from one direction and then Watkins who entered the square from another.

Could the square be considered within a police "net" that night?

All responses are welcomed.

Best regards

Hello Mike. I wonder if the fact that Mitre square was just inside London proper and not Whitechapel or Spitalfields would be a consideration? Of course, we know that they were prepared for such an eventuality in that vicinity. Indeed, wasn't one of them boasting about what he'd do to the ripper if he came that way?

The best.
    LC

Comment

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
      Hello Mike. I wonder if the fact that Mitre square was just inside London proper and not Whitechapel or Spitalfields would be a consideration? Of course, we know that they were prepared for such an eventuality in that vicinity. Indeed, wasn't one of them boasting about what he'd do to the ripper if he came that way?

The best.
      LC
      Im not sure on the jurisdictional aspects here Lynn, or what crime or criminal they might have intended to snare either. I believe it was Morris who boasted he'd give it to the killer if he came by there.

All the best

Comment

Originally posted by perrymason View Post
        One of the reasons I remain somewhat skeptical about an automatic inclusion of Catharine Eddowes to the Canonical Group is that from my perspective the 7 or 8 people that were closest to her when she is killed are active or retired police officers.
        I dot get your point, Michael. The fact remains that, even though those men were sleeping or working in close proximity to the crime spot, Catherine Eddowes was still killed and mutilated in Ripper-style by someone, who, from the police's point of view, could have been the Ripper.

The very best,
        Frank
        "You can rob me, you can starve me and you can beat me and you can kill me. Just don't bore me."
        Clint Eastwood as Gunny in "Heartbreak Ridge"

Comment

If Mitre Square was a 'net' that night and Morris was involved in it, then I'd have expected him to have kept a continual eye out through the ajar door rather than waddle off to sweep the floor. Then again, prior to that night, the Ripper struck much later in the night, so maybe they weren't expecting him to strike as early as he did. Plus, wouldn't Harvey have walked through the square and out of one of the other exits just to be certain, rather than just scoping out the passage that led into it?

Though I think that the Ripping killing Eddowes with numerous police officers dotted around the vicinity of the crime scene was nothing more than coincidence. Wouldn't the police be focusing on Whitechapel? I doubt they would've anticipated the killer venturing out of his usual haunt and into City territory so much so as to set up a sting operation.

Comment

The thread concerns one of the methods the police routinely use when they intend to draw a criminal to them with the intent to capture them or to contain a criminal when they know the whereabouts. Its a method that is used to keep "subject(s)" within a police patrolled border. Its the setting up of a "Net".
            If so, Mike, the net on the night under scrutiny must have been in a desperate state of repair given not only the murder of Kate Eddowes in Mitre Square, but also the major robbery perpetrated at a nearby post office.

Best wishes.

Garry Wroe.

Comment

Originally posted by Garry Wroe View Post
              If so, Mike, the net on the night under scrutiny must have been in a desperate state of repair given not only the murder of Kate Eddowes in Mitre Square, but also the major robbery perpetrated at a nearby post office.

Best wishes.

Garry Wroe.
              Not so if the "Net" were to include Kate and some other party she was to meet. Remember, there was talk during that investigation that suggested Kate turned left out of the jail because she had to meet someone in the City. She was found drunk in City jurisdiction, a square mile of turf, and she returned to it after being released, something that would not have even happened had she been arrested in the greater metro area. City cops released the drunks when they were fit to take care of themselves....Metro held them in for the night. Plus she doesnt even start to look for Kelly....who is who knows where by that time.... since he was broke and bootless when she left him.

Then a plethora of police within a yell of the murder site, all being the closest people to the scene of the crime. Since when has anyone heard of a murder being committed by a serial killer that was being actively sought by the police while the venue was literally surrounded by the police.

Fictional premise for this type of question....Kate did tell a landlady that she intended to claim the Ripper reward, she tells that to some people that get her drunk and arrange a meeting for later that night to discuss what she knows and what money she might expect, she mumbles something about that story to the Police that arrest her...shes been told to look around Mitre Square after midnight for a man with a red scarf...the police at that station decided to hang around Mitre that night and after she is released to be near to Mitre Square in the event something happens.

Problem is that Kate is actually meeting the man she was threatening to turn in...a friend of the men that got her drunk... unbeknown to her.

A stakeout maybe......thats sort of where the idea comes from.

Best regards
              Last edited by Guest; 11-21-2009, 12:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by perrymason View Post
                Then a plethora of police within a yell of the murder site, all being the closest people to the scene of the crime.
                Cobblers.

Sorry, Mike, I'd better explain. If Eddowes had been killed in a square where a number of working or retired cobblers had been living, would you be thinking along such conspiratorial lines then, or would you simply put it down to coincidence?

After all, it would have been rather unlikely to have found two active/retired coppers living or caretaking a warehouse in Buck's Row, Hanbury Street or Miller's Court.

PS: Wasn't it only PC Pearce who lived there? Can't say I can remember another active police officer living in Mitre Square.
                Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                  Cobblers.

Sorry, Mike, I'd better explain. If Eddowes had been killed in a square where a number of working or retired cobblers had been living, would you be thinking along such conspiratorial lines then, or would you simply put it down to coincidence?

After all, it would have been rather unlikely to have found two active/retired coppers living or caretaking a warehouse in Buck's Row, Hanbury Street or Miller's Court.

PS: Wasn't it only PC Pearce who lived there? Can't say I can remember another active police officer living in Mitre Square.
                  Hi Sam,

I know that my edition of A-Z mentioned a city policeman that lived in Mitre Square other than Pearce, the problem is that I just recently saw it when I was just reading snippets here and there and not alphabetically....I cant remember the surname.

I realize that the circumstances may well be just the luck of the draw Gareth, but.....this is also the only woman within the Canonical Five.....(sounds like 60's band)... that was in Police custody before being murdered, and it just seems odd to me that the 2 sets of events that night have Kate "surrounded" by the police.

All the best Master G

Comment

Working...
                  X