Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who's the Juwes?

Hi Lynn

Just in response to your “Juwes” question, I’d make the following observations.

Judging by the standard of spelling of graffiti on city walls today, I think misspelling is the most likely reason.

If I was speculating: “James” can easily look like “Juwes”.

If I was speculating after several pints of “Old Mindbender": Chris Scott found a near contemporary reference to a family called “Jewers”. They sound like a bit of a bad lot. What if the graffiti…?

Regards,
    Autolycus.
    "...a snapper-up of unconsidered trifles."

Comment

graffiti

Hello. Thanks for the clarification of that train of thought.

So perhaps a graffiti with a family name was intended?

LC

Comment

That's an interesting point that 'Juwes', 'Jewers', 'James',... could have been a family name. Is there anything known if a family with a name similar to those lived in Goulston Street?
        Maybe the graffito just wanted to blame this family for not paying their bills or something like that.
        Just one more riddle in our game. But this even more convinces me that the GSG had nothing to do with the murders.

Best regards,
        Frank

Comment

Personally I'm of the opinion that the GSG was not written by the ripper. But what if it was? Does it make a shred of difference whether it was or not? I don't think it adds anything to the case at all at this point in time.
          Last edited by johnnyerwin; 09-18-2009, 07:16 PM. Reason: spelling
          John Erwin

Comment

bearing

Hello. Could it have a bearing on the race of the Ripper, if authentic? Semitic? Gentile?

LC

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyerwin View Post
              Personally I'm of the opinion that the GSG was not written by the ripper. But what if it was? Does it make a shred of difference whether it was or not? I don't think it adds anything to the case at all at this point in time.
              It depends on the context in which its read, to me its quite possibly a disclaimer for the murder on Jewish property that night.

And to answer Lynn, .....I think Gentile almost certainly, anti-semetic...maybe 50-50...but one thing is for sure, there is no way in hell that message would have incited a riot on its own....only with some "hype" would that have happened.

Cheers folks.

Comment

police interpretation

Hello. That makes one wonder what, precisely, the police were reading into it that caused such a panicked reaction.

LC

Comment

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
                  Hello. Could it have a bearing on the race of the Ripper, if authentic? Semitic? Gentile?
                  Hi Lynn,

I'd agree if we could make sense of it; but can anybody really understand the meaning of the text? I don't think there's enough there to derive much about the writer.
                  John Erwin

Comment

Originally posted by perrymason View Post
                    It depends on the context in which its read, to me its quite possibly a disclaimer for the murder on Jewish property that night.
                    An interesting theory, however if true then I can't see Kate's killer having been the author (I am using the assumption that Liz and Kate had different killers). The timelines are just too tight for me to swallow that.

Needless to say, I don't spend much time thinking about it; regardless of who wrote it or why.
                    John Erwin

Comment

eliminate these

Hello. I've done some comparison shopping (see attached). Should these be eliminated? They do look a good deal alike,

LC
                      Attached Files

Comment

Hello. I've done some comparison shopping (see attached). Should these be eliminated? They do look a good deal alike,

LC
                        Hi Lynn,

In my opinion and I think that of many students of the crimes... the absolute most you will likely learn from matching handwriting of Ripper letters is the identity of a hoax letter writer. I dont think the GSG would have helped either....although I do think the guy that left the apron wrote the message. Was that guy Jack? Hmm..well, the apron could have been left there over an hour after the Mitre Square murder.....that lends itself to a myriad of possible routes that apron section might have taken.

If Jack the Ripper killed Kate, but not Liz, ...and he heard about Liz when he returns to the East End after tucking his organs away somewhere, and he heard that Jack was being blamed.....I could see that inciting some communication. The message in that context is understandable.

Best regards

Comment

Tumblety

Hello. A sensible suggestion.

I found the rightmost letter last night and was struck by its similarity to the "From Hell" letter. I have pretty well abandoned the idea that Jack wrote ANY letter (if there was a Jack); I do think that the same hoaxer sent both.

I have read recently that a graphological expert has identified Tumblety as the "From Hell" letter writer. Although I'm rather sure poor old Tumblety is not (indeed could not be) the Ripper, yet it would fit his offbeat personality to send such. After all, what sport to send a couple of letters and a slice of one of his pickled exhibits?

Or was HE pickled?

LC

Comment

Hello. A sensible suggestion.

I found the rightmost letter last night and was struck by its similarity to the "From Hell" letter. I have pretty well abandoned the idea that Jack wrote ANY letter (if there was a Jack); I do think that the same hoaxer sent both.

I have read recently that a graphological expert has identified Tumblety as the "From Hell" letter writer. Although I'm rather sure poor old Tumblety is not (indeed could not be) the Ripper, yet it would fit his offbeat personality to send such. After all, what sport to send a couple of letters and a slice of one of his pickled exhibits?

Or was HE pickled?

LC
                            Hi Lynn,

Although many dismiss the story due to its source for this study, I think a bottled uteri specimen collection would be right up Tumblety's alley. He had no formal medical training but called himself a Dr,...(he learned surgery by watching it performed while he swept up nearby) ...and was known for extravagant clothing, disguises, and his wealth, from his lucrative "snake oil" miracle elixir businesses.

I think only a rich eccentric would offer 20L at that time for specimens....as Sam Flynn once suggested, the equivalent of about 1500L Sterling today....or roughly around $3000 to us Canadians.

Do I think someone could be found to kill for $3000 in this city? In a heartbeat. What about in what is the equivalent of Calcutta, East End London in 1888?

Cheers Lynn.

Comment

responsibility

Hello. This is interesting.

So, on this theory, Tumblety--while not the Ripper--is responsible for producing him. That would take care of the height/old age objection!

LC

Comment

Hello. This is interesting.

So, on this theory, Tumblety--while not the Ripper--is responsible for producing him. That would take care of the height/old age objection!

LC
                                The way I see Dr T as a possible is just that....perhaps the one who rewards the killer for the organs taken.

He could even have "contracted" services from a med student. 3 med students were looked at very closely.

All the best Lynn

Comment

Working...
                                X