13 Killed, 20 Wounded in Oregon College Shooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
    Yes, it is recommended, but not everyone does it. Gun laws vary from state to state. I've discussed this topic on an American forum, and people say, bad guys will get weapons anyway, good parents teach their kids to respect guns, knives kill people too, I like to hunt, or target shoot in competitions, etc., etc.,
    And some say controlling the guns is the first step to taking them all away.

I don't understand...
    I agree with some of their arguments, and even just limiting gun ownership to single shot type weapons would go a long way.

A knife (and a single shot weapon) gives many a chance to get away or take out the killer.

Please understand when I was younger I loved shooting (back when I could see the target) but just don't understand the need for any ordinary person to own assault weapons.
    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

I have lived in this country (except for two ten day vacations in Britain and France) for sixty one and a half years, and if you can't understand why this evil not contained you can imagine how I feel.

The amending of the second amendment would be about as difficult as you can imagine because the very strong gun lovers lobby would fight it to the death. The gun and ammo manufacturers would see a loss of their profits, and the N.R.A. honchos and their lobbyists hyenas would see the loss of their political power. They ain't giving that up easily.

The latest article on the case in yesterday's New York Times dealt with how the darling killer was brought up. His parents had been separated for several years, but the father divorced the mother in 2006. The mother and her son had lived together ever since in California and Oregon. The mother, a nurse, has a website where she gives medical advice to people on how to handle a variety of problems. It turns out she is a gun lover - she had her own collection of guns and rifles and would go to the pistol ranges with her little son and they'd practice target shooting. She was opposed to any reforms about gun control, and spoke disparagingly about states like New York that have tough gun laws. However, she also hated people with guns who did not practice safety in handling them. She and her son have (in his case had) a mild case of Amburger syndrome (where you say things that are nasty about other people - I think I got the spelling wrong).

Since the tragedy she has maintained absolute silence. Her ex-husband, the boy's father, blames her for putting her son into the gun culture - possibly an exaggeration, but it has a small smattering of truth in it.

No doubt, within a year, she'll have recovered and blame society for mistreating her little angel. Unfortunately nobody will think of killing her (my bit of intentional mock "Amburger" syndrome here).

Jeff

Comment

I really don't think the NRA lobby has much to do with it, although I hope they do. Even most Democrats are smart enough not to punish law abiding citizens for the acts of criminals and a few nuts.
        This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post
          Hello Steadmund,

I have to disagree with your assessment of the power of the NRA. They have several million members (over 4 million according to the NRA itself). They are extremely well funded and extremely well organized. You could find a cure for cancer and end world hunger but if you are a politician who is in favor of gun control that is all they care about it and they will come after you. Letters will go out to every NRA member in your state or district saying not to vote for you and they will spend a ton of money on ads targeting you. They may be loud but they are also very formidable.

c.d.
          Let's face it... even if they are 4 million strong ( that is their # so may be a bit high) but.. I’ll give them the benefit of doubt...that is approx. 1.20% of the population of America..... how the hell does 1.20% get to decide what it best for everyone..

let's put this in perspective... by last count ( and I think a low count) 2.4 percent of the US population are Atheist, 8.3% are diabetics, 11% are on antidepressants, and so on

over 16% of Americans smoke cigarettes (somewhere between 16 and 20%) and yet they ban cigarettes almost everywhere...why.. BECAUSE CIGARETTES ARE DANGEROUS!!! but 1.20% NRA members get to make the rules by threatening and bullying.... 1.20% IS NOT ALOT... politicians need to stand up to them... the people need to stand up to them..... and before anyone gets mad.... I AM AN NRA SUPPORTER...AND I BELIEVE IN THE RIGHT TO OWN A GUN....however the NRA goes to extremes.. most NRA members I know feel that way as well..... and the "lobby" does not accurately represent the group.... you know, the NRA was the first group in favor of gun control and gun regulation... because it was formed with responsibility in mind.. it was taken over by radicals... much like BOTH political parties in this country...

and look.. nobody wants to "take your guns".. it is just time for some sense to be made....regulate is not a bad word.. all of you 2nd amendment supporters who jump on me and say... it's against the 2nd amendment... what does it say... " a well REGULATED militia".. regulation is in the damn amendment......

again...this is my opinion... I know not everyone agrees with me... that is what makes this a great country....but as DirectorDave said.. these are dead children.... and dead adults... and enough is enough

Steadmund Brand
          "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by Steadmund Brand View Post
            Let's face it... even if they are 4 million strong ( that is their # so may be a bit high) but.. I’ll give them the benefit of doubt...that is approx. 1.20% of the population of America..... how the hell does 1.20% get to decide what it best for everyone..

let's put this in perspective... by last count ( and I think a low count) 2.4 percent of the US population are Atheist, 8.3% are diabetics, 11% are on antidepressants, and so on

over 16% of Americans smoke cigarettes (somewhere between 16 and 20%) and yet they ban cigarettes almost everywhere...why.. BECAUSE CIGARETTES ARE DANGEROUS!!! but 1.20% NRA members get to make the rules by threatening and bullying.... 1.20% IS NOT ALOT... politicians need to stand up to them... the people need to stand up to them..... and before anyone gets mad.... I AM AN NRA SUPPORTER...AND I BELIEVE IN THE RIGHT TO OWN A GUN....however the NRA goes to extremes.. most NRA members I know feel that way as well..... and the "lobby" does not accurately represent the group.... you know, the NRA was the first group in favor of gun control and gun regulation... because it was formed with responsibility in mind.. it was taken over by radicals... much like BOTH political parties in this country...

and look.. nobody wants to "take your guns".. it is just time for some sense to be made....regulate is not a bad word.. all of you 2nd amendment supporters who jump on me and say... it's against the 2nd amendment... what does it say... " a well REGULATED militia".. regulation is in the damn amendment......

again...this is my opinion... I know not everyone agrees with me... that is what makes this a great country....but as DirectorDave said.. these are dead children.... and dead adults... and enough is enough

Steadmund Brand

Hear Hear.

Fortunately my only dog in this fight is that I'm saddened whenever we have one of these masacres.

We had one in Australia (albeit the worst in the World I believe) and took steps to stop it by controlling guns, we even had a tax levy to buy them back.

We still have sporting shooters, struth we bring home a medal or two in shooting events almost every Olympic games. But no assault rifles or shotguns strict licensing and the gun buyback.
            G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
              I'm not trying to start anything, but it seems a lot more common in America than anywhere else, though I think us Aussies still hold the record with Port Arthur. But at least we took steps to reduce the number of guns out there after that.

It seems at least every month or two there is another one in the USA.

It is just so sad.
              America is insanely "trend" orientated. Somehow school shooting have become some kind of sick twisted trend. No one thinks for themselves, basically 99.9 of americans are mindless lemmings. It doesn't matter how sick and backwards something is, people will do it just because other people have. So demented people do school shooting because it's a "thing" now, like selfies and celebrity worship. the world is ****ed.

Comment

I just don't understand what the objection to this proposition is.

If they want things to continue, do nothing. but If they want to take steps to stop the killing this seems like the first one, LIMIT guns.

I'm yet to hear how this fellow had any guns at all let alone 13.
                How? His mom.

The mother of the Oregon mass murderer stockpiled firearms because she feared stricter gun laws — and shopped around for a shooting range that would let her and her son fire away without supe…

Btw, he lived w/his mom, who is black. You cannot find pics of her. This is the first and only one I've seen.

Comment

Originally posted by Beowulf View Post
                  How? His mom.

The mother of the Oregon mass murderer stockpiled firearms because she feared stricter gun laws — and shopped around for a shooting range that would let her and her son fire away without supe…

Btw, he lived w/his mom, who is black. You cannot find pics of her. This is the first and only one I've seen.
                  Thanks.
                  G U T

Comment

How? His mom.
                    Strange to say, it was also the mother who introduced her son to guns and shooting in the case of the Sandy Hook School shooting in Newtown, CT., some years ago.

Also strange to say, as some of us were discussing today, in both cases the young men were said to either have Asperger's or autism, or "be on the autism scale", for whatever use that vague term may be.
                    Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
                    ---------------
                    Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                    ---------------

Comment

Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
                      Strange to say, it was also the mother who introduced her son to guns and shooting in the case of the Sandy Hook School shooting in Newtown, CT., some years ago.

Also strange to say, as some of us were discussing today, in both cases the young men were said to either have Asperger's or autism, or "be on the autism scale", for whatever use that vague term may be.
                      Autism Spectrum
                      G U T

Comment

I happened to just read about Asperger's syndrome yesterday, as I have been reading a book about the Hall/Mills murders. Willie Stevens, suspect for the murders had they surmise, Asperger's.

I read there is no proof regarding correlation of Asperger's or Autism and murder. I mean, could be, but they have no proof of such a thing.

Comment

Autism Spectrum
                          Yes, that's what I meant to type. Thanks.
                          Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
                          ---------------
                          Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                          ---------------

Comment

I happened to just read about Asperger's syndrome yesterday, as I have been reading a book about the Hall/Mills murders. Willie Stevens, suspect for the murders had they surmise, Asperger's.

I read there is no proof regarding correlation of Asperger's or Autism and murder. I mean, could be, but they have no proof of such a thing.
                            Aren't there theories about Asperger's and lack of empathy?
                            Is it progress when a cannibal uses a fork?
                            - Stanislaw Jerzy Lee

Comment

Originally posted by SirJohnFalstaff View Post
                              Aren't there theories about Asperger's and lack of empathy?
                              There are some theories that say that but the current popular theory, as I understand it, is that people on the Autism spectrum have the underlying emotional response but lack the social communication skills required to show it in what we expect to the typical manner.
                              I’m often irrelevant. It confuses people.

Comment

There are studies on it and there is a thing called autism meltdown. http://www.myaspergerschild.com/2009...-meltdown.html

Incidentally, there is no particular test to diagnose autism. Doctors look at the child's behavior and development to make a diagnosis. Seems a lot of kids these days are thrown under that diagnosis and I'm skeptical.

Willie Stevens, the Hall/Mills murder suspect, had 'low ears' now that is a physical characteristic that signals chromosomal abnormalities. I wonder if this Mercer kid was on psyche meds, and it seems a lot of these shooters were. I think the side effects, which are not at all 'side' effects but just one of the effects of the medicine, are really the problem here. That and a mother who was not home, but working and encouraged a kid already with problems to learn how to shoot a gun.

Also, an absentee father, which also is a common denominator in these cases.

Below is a pic of Willie Stevens showing his low set ears (Mercer does not have this).
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by Beowulf; 10-08-2015, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X