The Pipe Man/ Israel Schwartz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tom,

I believe so. That does sound awfuly familiar to the thread I was talking about. Very interesting though. Thanks for going for the trouble to post it for me.

Regards,
    Justin
    They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night. - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

My apologies All, I could not find the "Lipski" thread, so I posted here. Case of Rusty St. Devil. Also, if this has been mentioned here before.

I used an online Swedish translator for the word "lipski". It returned the word "lipsill", which meant "crybaby". The derivative word was "lips", which meant "to cry". Would anyone know if something sounding close to "lips ki" might translate out to "she's crying", "crybaby", or "squealer"?

I am grasping at The Saucy Jack postcard. It seems to corroborate Schwartz' interview. He says that he saw a woman trying to cry out for help. Saucy Jack writes that the woman was a squealer. He attributes that to be the reason that he "couldn't finish straight off". Does he mention her squealing because he was busted by Schwartz?
      there,s nothing new, only the unexplored

Comment

Hi, Robert,
        That would depend on whether you believe that the 'Saucy Jack' postcard was actually written by the Ripper though, wouldn't it? Also, for the word 'lipsill' or derivatives of it to mean anything to Pipe man, he would surely have to be Swedish, or at least Scandinavian, as would BS Man.

If you put that against the fact that Israel Lipski was a well known murderer of the time, who had lived in Batty St, had killed a fellow lodger only the year before and was hanged for it, it seems to me to be unnecessarily complicating the situation by bringing Swedish words into the scene. I just think the call of 'Lipski' to Pipe man referred to the murder of only a year before in a nearby locality. The murderer had been a migrant from a hated and despised minority, and his name had been used to taunt men of Jewish appearance, (Schwartz being one) ever since.

Comment

Hi Ros...

It occurred to me that there might be two independent sources corroborating the same event. That is, to say, we have two separate accounts of how Eliz Stride may have died in Saucy Jack and Israel Schwartz that could sync to each other. Schwartz' claims to have seen a woman evading her attacker and crying out for help. In his apology, Saucy Jack attributes "the interruption" to Eliz' "squeal"-ing.

-------
          The "lipsill" came up because Eliz Stride is Swedish. There was a sense of familiarity with her date that nite, the sandy-coloured eyelashes, the distinctive voice that Packer notes. I had been reading Frances Cole & this custom of spending the night with a boyfriend and bar-hopping the next day, and was wondering if that was what Stride was doing. She hadn't purchased a bed that nite.
          there,s nothing new, only the unexplored

Comment

"the secretary of the Club cannot remember the name of the man who gave chase"

Very interesting, Pipeman was known to the secretary of the club. Perhaps his name will turn up someday in some files that have been lost from the ripper casebook?

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
              I'm intrigued by these early accounts, not least by the following:

"The secretary mentioned the fact that the murderer had, no doubt been disturbed in his work, as about a quarter to one o'clock... he was seen... being chased by another man along Fairclough Street".

Could the incident whereby Schwartz, evidently mistaken as the murderer by some, was "chased" from the scene, lie at the root of the "interrupted killer" theory?
              I find it interesting particularly in context with this Sam..."Complaint is also made [?] [?] [?] there was experienced in obtaining a policeman, and it is alleged that from the time the body was discovered fifteen minutes had elapsed before a constable could be [?] from Commercial-road. This charge against the police, however, requires confirmation."

I think the discovery was closer to 12:45 than it was 1am, and that might also explain why someone was seen chasing someone at round 12:45. I assume that the Echo is a paper published daily....therefore in this case prior to a story coming forward by one Israel Schwartz?
              Michael Richards

Comment

Isn't it more likely that, rather than a garbled version of Schwartz's flight from Pipeman, this is a garbled account of the two men who were known to have run down Fairclough Street, ie Kozebrodsky and Diemshutz?

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
                  Isn't it more likely that, rather than a garbled version of Schwartz's flight from Pipeman, this is a garbled account of the two men who were known to have run down Fairclough Street, ie Kozebrodsky and Diemshutz?
                  That's exactly what I think it is Joshua.
                  Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
                    That's exactly what I think it is Joshua.
                    Interesting conclusion Jon, particularly since a time of around quarter to one is mentioned. Although Ive been suggesting an earlier discovery time for years here. A note.......it would appear that no-one saw Diemshutz and Kozebrodski, since Kozebrodski said within an hour of the murder that he was sent out alone by Louis. Funny that not one club witness mentions that there was actually 3 search parties, Issac, Morris and Louis,...nor did Diemshitz mention that he sent Issac out alone. And who exactly was this Issacs that went out with Louis...how come he wasn't interviewed.
                    Michael Richards

Comment

Working...
                    X