The Gripes of Mr Williamson (part 2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Gripes of Mr Williamson (part 2)

One of the complaints against Sir Charles Warren, which clearly emerged from senior officers within the Metropolitan Police, and which featured in the press during the summer of 1888, was the fact that he was constantly sending out orders, regulations and memoranda relating to administrative matters, thus making everyone’s life a nightmare of paperwork. As the Daily News commented on 31 August 1888:

"With the best possible intentions, he [Sir Charles Warren] rides roughshod over everybody's feelings and susceptibilities, and some of his oldest and ablest superintendents feel themselves under a military despotism quite new to their experience. Every detail of the service has been upset, and they are in continual receipt of "Orders" and circulars, the study and carrying out of which they find add very greatly to their work and anxiety. All sorts of petty details of the service, formerly left very much to the direction of the officers, are made the subject of stringent and minute instructions."

One of the new orders, of course, was introduced on 9 February 1888 in respect of the submission of special reports to Central Office.

By way of history, it seems clear that, during the 1870s, special reports were submitted to the A.C.B., who was William C. Harris. His initials are, for example, all over reports from 1877 in MEPO 3/128, MEPO 3/129. After the appointment of Howard Vincent as Director of the Criminal Investigation Department in 1878, however, it seems that he received the reports, as covers of Special Reports from June 1884 (e.g. MEPO 3/137) have "To the Director of Criminal Investigation" stamped on the cover.

In July 1884, the position of A.C.C. was created, with James Monro being the first appointment to this post. Received stamps on the special reports from late 1884 say "Metropolitan Police Criminal Investigation Department" (MEPO 3/137) and subsequently printed forms were introduced on which was printed on the cover "To the Assistant Commissioner Criminal Investigation Department".

The likelihood is that divisional reports were submitted by superintendents directly to the A.C.C. However, I am going to suggest that, after Chief Superintendent Williamson was appointed as District Superintendent, a.k.a. Confidential Assistant to the A.C.C., in July 1886, and subsequently became Chief Constable, the likelihood is that he received/read the special reports from the divisions (and from C.I.D. detectives) and forwarded them to the A.C.C. I cannot cite any documents to support this, although I note that the Commissioner’s Memo of 8 December 1886 states that all Morning Reports of crime from the divisions would be seen in the library by the Chief Constables and would then go to the A.C.C. before going to Executive Branch (MEPO 7/134). If special reports were being sent to Williamson for him to forward to the A.C.C. it would make sense of what followed.

Police Order of 9 February 1888 (MEPO 7/50) is very long but one key element states:

"A special report, containing the fullest obtainable information and the steps taken by Police, with the names of officers engaged in the inquiry, is to be sent to the Executive Branch immediately on the occurrence of a Crime of such importance as to require the submission of special reports".

Why did Sir Charles Warren introduce a system whereby special reports were sent not to the Criminal Investigation Department but to the Executive Branch? I offer three possible but speculative explanations:

1. As at 9 February 1888, Chief Constable Williamson was very ill. Two days earlier, a letter from James Monro to Sir Charles Warren forwarding a medical certificate from Dr Bond stated: "Mr Williamson has been very seriously ill…he must take long leave" (MEPO 2/210). Williamson was granted sick leave on 10 February and a Police Order of 17 February 1888 stated: "A.F. Williamson Esq., Chief Constable, has, by Secretary of State’s Letter dated 10th inst., been granted leave for three months, on full pay". In the knowledge that the Williamson was not well, did Sir Charles Warren decide that the workload on the A.C.C. would be eased if reports were submitted to the Executive Branch (for the Superintendent in the Executive Branch to decide whether to forward to the ACC rather than the District Superintendent/Chief Constable)? I suspect, however, that the timing of Williamson’s illness and the PO of 9 February 1888 is a coincidence as it is seems unlikely that Sir Charles Warren would have issued an order involving such a change of procedure based on the temporary illness of one individual.

2. The second possible reason for the new procedure could that Sir Charles did not trust Monro to keep him properly informed on criminal matters so he wanted all information to be routed through the Executive Branch which he trusted more than C.I.D..

3. A third reason is less Machiavellian and may simply have been that C.I.D was being swamped with special reports which should not properly have been sent to C.I.D. It is certainly the case that later in the year, on 6 November 1888, Sir Charles issued a memorandum saying that "A great number of subjects have gradually drifted over to the C.I.D. registry, which are not connected with crime" and he listed 10 such subjects including "insane persons" and "Attempted suicides when not connected with murder" which were inappropriately being addressed to C.ID. So it is possible that this was in his mind in February although, if so, one would have thought he would have issued such a memorandum in February rather than changing the process of submission of reports.

Any further suggestions as to why special reports were required to go through the Executive Branch gratefully received.

The P.O. of 9 February 1888 would not have affected Chief Constable Williamson at first because he was on leave for three months and would not have returned to work until May. Whether he was irritated that the superintendent at the Executive Branch (Charles Cutbush) got to see all special reports on crime before him can only be guessed at but if the Globe newspaper is to be believed (see below) there seemed to be a catastrophic failure in respect of the murder of Martha Tabram whereby the news of her murder on 7 August 1888 was not communicated to Chief Constable Williamson until about 14 August.

In this respect, a couple of points are worth noting.

The only surviving special report before 14 August is the report of Inspector Ellisdon dated 10 August 1888 and, in the absence of the cover of this report, we have no information as to how it was submitted and whether it even reached C.I.D. and the A.C.C. at all.

There were, apparently, two special reports before the special report by Inspector Reid of 16 August, and, as Superintendent Cutbush has noted that this report was the "third" special report, it would appear to be the case that he had received the first two. The pertinent question, however, is whether he successfully forwarded them to the A.C.C. On this issue, it may be that James Monro was not fully concentrating. He apparently handed in his notice on 16 August (according to a post dated 16.06.08 in this forum by Simon Wood) before leaving his position at the end of the month, so there might have been an element of disorganisation within C.I.D. which prevented news of the murder reaching Williamson.

In any event, Williamson was not happy and it seems that he blamed Sir Charles Warren for the breakdown of communication to the extent that he appears to have briefed against the Commissioner in September (or at least someone did on his behalf). As previously posted in other threads, the Globe of 10 September published an article containing the following statement:

"It seems hardly credible, and yet it is perfectly true, that when the first of the three recent diabolical murders in Whitechapel occurred about a month ago, Mr Superintendent Williamson, though attending daily at Scotland-yard, in charge of the Detective Department, received no notice whatever for a whole week that any such crime had been committed, and that this happened not accidentally or through carelessness, but in accordance with a deliberate plan on the part of the Commissioner of Police."

It may be noted that the issue here seems to have been historic, relating to a problem in early August, and there is no reason to think that any problem of communication continued during the rest of August and September in respect of the murders of Nichols and Chapman, but the fact that something was being referred to as a "deliberate plan on the part of the Commissioner" suggests to me that senior officials of C.ID., and Williamson in particular, did not like the new procedure for submitting special reports (because what else could the Globe have been referring to?).

Can it be a coincidence that a mere two days after the Globe article was published, Sir Charles Warren effectively rescinded that part of P.O. of 09.02.88 which related to the submission of special reports?

In two separate memoranda issued by Sir Charles Warren on 12 September 1888 (MEPO 7/134) it was announced, firstly:

"C.I. Department – Reports on Crime

Special reports to be addressed to Asst Commr C.I.D. and sent direct to C.I.D. and filed there.

Special reports need not in future be sent in weekly, but from time to time when Supt considers it necessary
    "

Then, in the second memorandum:

"Correspondence –Special Reports and Returns

Orders, Sec X, page 542

With reference to para 51 of the above order the special reports of serious crime directed to be made are in future to be sent in as follows

(a) addressed to Asst Commr, C.I. Department in lieu of Executive Branch.

(b) The reports of progress of cases will not be required weekly but only from time to time as circumstances may, in the opinion of the Supt, render it desirable.

Consolidated Orders to be amended accordingly
    "

I cannot say for sure to how these instructions were interpreted within the upper echelons of the police force but, in my opinion, especially in the context of the Globe article, it is difficult to view this change of policy as anything other than a humiliating climb down by Sir Charles Warren, whose position had recently been undermined by the resignation of Assistant Commissioner James Monro, and who was being severely criticised in the press for the failure of his force to catch the man believed to have committed three murders in Whitechapel (amongst other things).

The resignation of Chief Constable Williamson on a point of procedure at this stage in September might well have been the end of Warren. So my guess is that the change of procedure was forced upon him, although that is no more than a guess.

It is notable that, after 12 September, no special reports were submitted to the Executive Branch but, instead, were almost invariably sent direct to C.I.D., either being addressed to the A.C.C. or to Chief Constable Williamson. In particular, I believe that the Commissioner’s memorandum of 12 September explains the following statement by Inspector Abberline in his report of 14 September 1888 (p.54 of the Sourcebook) in which he says:

"With regard to Commissioner’s memorandum of 13th I have submitted special report".

I believe that 13th is an error for 12th as there were no memoranda issued by Sir Charles Warren on 13 September according to MEPO 7/134 (being the Commissioner’s Memoranda). Note that Abberline’s report of 14 September expressly states on the cover "Submitted to A.F. Williamson Esq".

As far as I have been able to establish, this change of procedure was never announced in Police Orders (a sign of the Commissioner’s embarrassment?) although it did feature in the Consolidated Orders which were amended to state:

"A special report, containing the fullest available information and the steps taken by Police, with the names of officers engaged in the inquiry, is to be sent to Assistant Commissioner, C.I. Department, immediately on the occurrence of a Crime of such importance as to require the submission of special reports".

No longer would special reports be sent to the Executive Branch but instead came in direct to C.I.D.

As a result, Mr Williamson was, no doubt, a happy, if rather unwell, man!

Originally posted by David Orsam View Post
    One of the complaints against Sir Charles Warren, which clearly emerged from senior officers within the Metropolitan Police, and which featured in the press during the summer of 1888, was the fact that he was constantly sending out orders, regulations and memoranda relating to administrative matters, thus making everyone’s life a nightmare of paperwork. As the Daily News commented on 31 August 1888:

"With the best possible intentions, he [Sir Charles Warren] rides roughshod over everybody's feelings and susceptibilities, and some of his oldest and ablest superintendents feel themselves under a military despotism quite new to their experience. Every detail of the service has been upset, and they are in continual receipt of "Orders" and circulars, the study and carrying out of which they find add very greatly to their work and anxiety. All sorts of petty details of the service, formerly left very much to the direction of the officers, are made the subject of stringent and minute instructions."

One of the new orders, of course, was introduced on 9 February 1888 in respect of the submission of special reports to Central Office.

By way of history, it seems clear that, during the 1870s, special reports were submitted to the A.C.B., who was William C. Harris. His initials are, for example, all over reports from 1877 in MEPO 3/128, MEPO 3/129. After the appointment of Howard Vincent as Director of the Criminal Investigation Department in 1878, however, it seems that he received the reports, as covers of Special Reports from June 1884 (e.g. MEPO 3/137) have "To the Director of Criminal Investigation" stamped on the cover.

In July 1884, the position of A.C.C. was created, with James Monro being the first appointment to this post. Received stamps on the special reports from late 1884 say "Metropolitan Police Criminal Investigation Department" (MEPO 3/137) and subsequently printed forms were introduced on which was printed on the cover "To the Assistant Commissioner Criminal Investigation Department".

The likelihood is that divisional reports were submitted by superintendents directly to the A.C.C. However, I am going to suggest that, after Chief Superintendent Williamson was appointed as District Superintendent, a.k.a. Confidential Assistant to the A.C.C., in July 1886, and subsequently became Chief Constable, the likelihood is that he received/read the special reports from the divisions (and from C.I.D. detectives) and forwarded them to the A.C.C. I cannot cite any documents to support this, although I note that the Commissioner’s Memo of 8 December 1886 states that all Morning Reports of crime from the divisions would be seen in the library by the Chief Constables and would then go to the A.C.C. before going to Executive Branch (MEPO 7/134). If special reports were being sent to Williamson for him to forward to the A.C.C. it would make sense of what followed.

Police Order of 9 February 1888 (MEPO 7/50) is very long but one key element states:

"A special report, containing the fullest obtainable information and the steps taken by Police, with the names of officers engaged in the inquiry, is to be sent to the Executive Branch immediately on the occurrence of a Crime of such importance as to require the submission of special reports".

Why did Sir Charles Warren introduce a system whereby special reports were sent not to the Criminal Investigation Department but to the Executive Branch? I offer three possible but speculative explanations:

1. As at 9 February 1888, Chief Constable Williamson was very ill. Two days earlier, a letter from James Monro to Sir Charles Warren forwarding a medical certificate from Dr Bond stated: "Mr Williamson has been very seriously ill…he must take long leave" (MEPO 2/210). Williamson was granted sick leave on 10 February and a Police Order of 17 February 1888 stated: "A.F. Williamson Esq., Chief Constable, has, by Secretary of State’s Letter dated 10th inst., been granted leave for three months, on full pay". In the knowledge that the Williamson was not well, did Sir Charles Warren decide that the workload on the A.C.C. would be eased if reports were submitted to the Executive Branch (for the Superintendent in the Executive Branch to decide whether to forward to the ACC rather than the District Superintendent/Chief Constable)? I suspect, however, that the timing of Williamson’s illness and the PO of 9 February 1888 is a coincidence as it is seems unlikely that Sir Charles Warren would have issued an order involving such a change of procedure based on the temporary illness of one individual.

2. The second possible reason for the new procedure could that Sir Charles did not trust Monro to keep him properly informed on criminal matters so he wanted all information to be routed through the Executive Branch which he trusted more than C.I.D..

3. A third reason is less Machiavellian and may simply have been that C.I.D was being swamped with special reports which should not properly have been sent to C.I.D. It is certainly the case that later in the year, on 6 November 1888, Sir Charles issued a memorandum saying that "A great number of subjects have gradually drifted over to the C.I.D. registry, which are not connected with crime" and he listed 10 such subjects including "insane persons" and "Attempted suicides when not connected with murder" which were inappropriately being addressed to C.ID. So it is possible that this was in his mind in February although, if so, one would have thought he would have issued such a memorandum in February rather than changing the process of submission of reports.

Any further suggestions as to why special reports were required to go through the Executive Branch gratefully received.
    I don't know if this will help you, but it is an attempt to.

In 1886, the year Warren was appointed, the Liberal Government under Gladstone was briefly in power. It sought a military man to stiffen the discipline of the Metropolitan Police, still reeling from the 1877 De Goncourt - Detective Scandal, which led to the prosecution and conviction of several leading Detectives, and a general shake-up of the Detective Division. "Dolly" Williamson had been at the Yard, and escaped any serious involvement in the antics leading to that scandal, and had done well running the Yard ever since, but there had been a series of crimes in London that were notable at the time, such as the "Burton Crescent Murder", and "St. Luke's Mystery" that were not solved. The government wanted some figure of authority who had what they considered a police background. In the end they had reduced the possibilities to three men: Lord Charles Beresford, of the Royal Navy; General Redvers Buller; and Warren. Their rationale was these three had military discipline and all had been involved in "police activity".

Here was the main problem: the term "police activity" as the Government would have explained, was the policing of districts under military control by the candidates, or an example of police action that looked appropriate. Both Bullers and Beresford were involved, during the 1882 Arabi Revolt in Egypt, in policing areas like Alexandria while British forces organized to put down Col. Arabi's army. These two, therefore, were looked at as best for the post because they had "experience" as police chiefs (!). Of course this ignored the circumstances of where they were police chiefs. Beresford (at the time) was a favorite of the Prince of Wales, and a public hero for his heroism in combat. Buller too had won laurels in some African Wars. But both men declined the post, because they figured they would have better careers sticking to their branch of the armed forces (and both were right).

Not so with Warren, an officer in the Royal Engineers - he had been involved in teaching at a military school when the 1882 trouble burst. He got involved in a special mission in 1882 to locate a missing mission under one Professor Edward Palmer, that was supposed to get support from various Arab bedouin tribes in the Sinai Peninsula. In a sense (if we stretch the term "detective work") Warren found the remains of Palmer and his party, who had been murdered for the gold they were carrying. However, although this work required questioning various people, it was in a war zone, and there were rumors (which have not been stilled) that Warren may have tortured people to get his information (Warren always denied it). But he soon had a reputation for being an astute "detective" which he never deserved. In fact, when visiting Ireland in 1885, he actually was questioned by some suspicious characters one night about how he could possibly question Irish people about criminal activities (Warren very carefully explained how it could be done - he said these interlocutors took his explanations well and left him alone).

Warren seemed the best bet for Assistant Commissioner once Beresford and Buller took themselves out of the running. So he got the post, it being figured that he would bring back a degree of military pride and regularity to the Yard's police force, and would be able to advise and work with the Detectives. He did actually bring back some esprit de corps to the men, by toughening discipline and promoting on merit. But his background was in the Royal Engineers and it was built (in part) on paperwork and a hands on policy to details. Further his questionable detective abilities had no place in a civilian setting - particularly the capital of the most powerful country on earth. He might be imposing and threatening to what we'd call a third world group of people, but he looked ridiculous in London (oddly enough this included his image of seeming to wear his military tunic and monocle too much - which wasn't true; in his memoirs he pointed mentioned he liked loose fitting clothing more).

Williamson was coming to the end of his career, and Warren found the man something of an impediment to his ideas of military-like reform. I suspect that Warren probably saw Williamson's illness as an opportunity to get control of the inner structure of the Yard to press his reforming. In a sad sense it worked - poor Williamson retired within a year.

Unfortunately for Warren there was a new hurdle. I mentioned that his appointment to his post was at the behest of Gladstone's third government. But this only lasted three months. It was replaced by Salisbury's government, and Warren, instead of having a friendly Liberal Home Secretary suddenly faced Henry Matthews, a Tory.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Mayerling View Post
      poor Williamson retired within a year.
      It's worse than that, he's dead Jim.

He died while still Chief Constable, on 9 December 1889.

Comment

Just to add to this that Belton Cobb's 1956 book, "Critical Years at the Yard: The Career of Frederick Williamson of the Detective Department of the C.I.D", does say that Williamson "retired as a very sick man" and "died a few months later, in December 1889". I don't think that is correct, however. On 9 December 1889, Godfrey Lushington at the Home Office wrote to Sir Charles Warren referring to Sir Charles' letter of earlier that morning "informing me of the death of Chief Constable Williamson" (MEPO 2/238) suggesting that he was still indeed Chief Constable at the time of his death. Additionally, C.F. Howard Vincent, who would surely have known, wrote to the Morning Post of 23 December 1889 saying, "Had Chief Constable Williamson retired upon a well-earned pension, there is no doubt but that the public, with a rarely failing appreciation of public service, would not have allowed him to withdraw form active work, without a substantial acknowledgment of their appreciation". And, moreover, a new Chief Constable (Melville Macnaghtan) was only appointed after Williamson's death.

I also note that Howard Vincent said in his letter to the Morning Post that Williamson died on (Sunday) 8th December but The Times of 10 December 1889 said that Williamson "died yesterday", while Reynold's Newspaper of 14 December 1889 said that "he died shortly after seven o'clock on Monday morning" which was the 9th. That newspaper also said that shortly before he died he was "putting his diaries into autobiographical form" and one wonders if those diaries have survived as I suspect they could make interesting reading!

Comment

This may be of use.

Monty
          Attached Files
          Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Thanks Monty. That's from MEPO 2/210 which I quoted extracts from in "part 1". I prepared a transcript of this draft letter for my own use and it may be helpful to reproduce it here, with the more interesting or relevant passages highlighted in bold:

1st December 1890

Sir,

With reference to your letter of the 10th January 1890, in which you informed me that the S of S approved of a provisional arrangement by which Mr. Macnaghten was assigned the duties of Chief Constable, C.I.D., I have now the honour to request that you will be good enough to lay before Mr Secretary Matthews this my recommendation that Mr. Macnaghten be confirmed in the appointment of Chief Constable with the pay and allowances of that rank, [next bit crossed out] viz £600 per annum, rising by annual increments of £25 to £800 per annum.

It will no doubt be in the S of S’s recollection that the present provisional state of things came about by the following steps: -

On the 20th May 1886 the Commissioner (Sir C. Warren) wrote as follows:-
            “I have the honour to report for the information of S of S that Mr. Monro, the Asst Commr in charge of C.I.D. has brought to my notice the urgent need of an official in his Department as Confidential Assistant to himself.

At present the whole of the clerical duties of the C.I.D. are performed by the Police Assistant Clerks, and I concur with Mr. Monro in thinking it absolutely necessary that he should have the services of an assistant to aid him in conducting correspondence etc. of a secret and confidential nature, and also to conduct routine work while he is engaged on special matters.

It will be necessary that the person to be appointed should be officially ratified for such a post and I would recommend that his remuneration should be fixed at not less than £600 per annum.

If Mr Secretary Childers is pleased to approve of the principle of making such an appointment, I will submit a further recommendation on the subject”

The S of S by letter dated 23rd June 1886 sanctioned the appointment of a Confidential Assistant to Mr. Monro as supported by the Commissioner.
            On 1st July 1886 the Commissioner wrote to H.O.

“With reference to your letter of the 23rd instant conveying to me the sanction of the S of S to the appointment of a confidential assistant to Mr. Monro the assistant commissioner in charge of the C.I. Dept. I have now to submit my recommendation that this post may be conferred on Ch. Supt Williamson with the rank and pay of Dist. Supt. for the C.I. Dept.

Mr. Williamson’s present salary is £675 + £15 clothing allowance = £690 rising to £700 per annum, and I should propose that his pay as Dist. Supt should commence at £700 and rise by annual increments of £25 to the maximum pay of the rank (£800).

I should propose to fill Mr. Williamson’s post by the promotion to Supt (not Ch: Supt) of one of the officers of the C.I.D. whose name I will submit in due course for the approval of the S of S and whose pay should be £400 per annum with clothing allowance of £15.

The immediate cost of this arrangement would be at the rate of £200 per annum less than if a new appointment were made with pay at £600 per annum as originally proposed.”

On the 8th July, 1886, a reply in the following terms was sent by the Home Office,

“Referring to your communication of the 1st instant, I am directed by Mr. Secretary Childers to convey to you his sanction of your proposal that Chief Supt. Williamson be appointed Confidential Assistant to Mr. Munro, with the rank of District Superintendent of the C.I. Dept., and salary of £700 rising by annual increments of £25 to the maximum of £800.

The appointment is approved on the understanding that the present arrangement as to salary is to be personal to Mr Williamson and to be reconsidered when any fresh appointment shall be made.”

On the 23rd January 1889, the Commissioner (Mr Monro) wrote to the Home Office as follows: -

“I have to bring under the notice of the S of S of the following circumstances in connection with the position of Mr Williamson of the C.I. Dept:-

As is well known to the S of S Mr. Williamson was on the 8th July, 1886, appointed Confidential Assistant to the Assistant Commissioner, C.I. Dept., with the rank and pay of Dist. Supt. (Chief Constable) C.I. Dept., - Practically the appointment has been recognised as the appointment of Mr. Williamson to one of the Chief Constables of the Metropolitan Police, employed in the C.I. Dept. His position as Chief Constable has been officially recognized – and for some time after his appointment he was employed very much to the benefit of the public service as Chief Constable.

Latterly, however, for reasons which I need not here enter his status as Chief Constable has not been officially recognized, he has practically been deprived of all authority and as a consequence the assistance which he has been able to afford to the A.C. has very materially been diminished.

To enable the A.C. C.I.D. to avail himself to the full of the very valuable services which Mr. Williamson is able to render, and to allow of my putting the administration of the C.I.D. in a proper footing of efficiency, I have to suggest that the position of Mr. Williamson as Chief Constable of the C.I.D. – a position practically afforded to him until very recently – be definitely sanctioned as from the date of his original appointment. No financial considerations are involved in this proposal and I bear in mind that the appointment is one personal to Mr. Williamson, and subject to reconsideration on Mr. Williamson’s retirement. “

The following reply dated 29th January, 1889, was received from the Home Office: -

“In answer to your letter of the 23rd instant, I am directed by the S of S to inform you that he has been pleased to approve the appointment of Mr. Williamson to the Chief Constable, C.I. Dept.

This appointment will date from the 8th July, 1886, and being personal to Mr. Williamson will be subject to re-consideration on his retirement.”

Prior to the date of the two last mentioned letters viz. at the commencement of 1888, Mr. Williamson fell sick and the Commissioner (Sir C. Warren) in a letter dated 8th February 1888, recommending the grant of sick leave said

“I have further to recommend that during the absence of Mr. Williamson - an assistant Chief Constable may be temporarily appointed, as it is absolutely necessary that some assistance should be afforded to Mr. Monro, Assistant Commissioner, in carrying out the duties of the C.I. Dept.
            Moreover, looking at the state of Mr. Williamson’s health and of his long service, it is very essential that an officer should be trained with a view to eventually succeeding him”

By letter dated 22nd March, 1888, the S of S approved the appointment of an assistant Chief Constable of the C.I. Dept.

The appointment of an officer to this post was delayed by circumstances which it is unnecessary to refer, but on the 1st June, 1889, the S of S sanctioned the appointment of Mr Melville MacNaghten as Asst. Chief Constable in the C.I. Dept.

On [blank] Mr Williamson died and on the 10th January last the S of S approved a provisional arrangement of the duties of the Chief Constable being assigned to Mr. MacNaghten and of an additional allowance of £100 per annum being paid to him as long as he discharges those duties, provided that the maximum salary received by him does not exceed £100 per annum.

Mr Matthews approved also of Chief Inspector Butcher being detached for office work with the rank of superintendent and with a salary of £380 rising by annual increments of £10 to £400, the strength of the Force being accordingly augmented by one superintendent.

My proposal is that this provisional arrangement should be made permanent with this variation only that Mr. MacNaghten should have a full rank and pay as Chief Constable in the Metropolitan Police.

I do not propose to interfere with the arrangement that by which a Supt. for office duties is substituted for an Assistant Chief Constable.

I fully agree with the views held by Mr. Monro as to the second office in C.I.D. having the rank, position and authority of a Chief Constable.

As to this, Mr. Anderson, the Assistant Commissioner, also holds a very strong opinion, and I do not see that any other position can reasonably be assigned to him seeing that the rank of Assistant Chief Constable has practically ceased to exist in the Metropolitan Police.

With regard to Mr. MacNaghten personally, Mr. Monro in a Memorandum dated 16th December, 1889, said I always had a high opinion of his qualifications and abilities; but he has shown an aptitude for dealing with financial administration and a power of managing and dealing with men for which I was not prepared; he has been doing Mr. Williamson’s work for months, and he has done it with remarkable efficiency and success.

In this opinion, I quite concur, and I have every confidence in recommending Mr MacNaghten for permanent appointment as Chief Constable of C.I. Dept.

Comment

Just to nail one point that arose in this thread regarding Williamson's death, bearing in mind that Belton Cobb said in his book that Williamson "retired". Here is the police order of 9 December 1889 announcing his death:
              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
              X