The Special Reports of 1888

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Special Reports of 1888

In the MEPO file (3/140) at the National Archives there are, by my count, 23 Special Reports from 1888.

I intend to make a post about the procedure for submitting Special Reports in part 2 of "The Gripes of Mr Williamson" but, before doing so, I need to clarify a few points about the reports in case anyone wants to follow my post by using the Ultimate Jack The Ripper Sourcebook (page numbers referred to are from the First Edition). While this might be a little tedious, it needs to be done to make sense of what follows. Allow me to go through the reports individually:

Special Report 1 – dated 10.08.88 (Tabram)

Authored by Inspector Ellisdon and submitted by Supt Arnold at H Division, this report has no cover information (either there isn't one or it hasn't been microfilmed) so it is not possible to say who it was submitted to at Central Office. It may be noted in passing (because this is not included in the Sourcebook) that under the heading "REFERENCE TO PAPERS", in the top left hand corner, is written:

Felony Book
    G.O. Dead Bodies
    par 8

The Felony Book was a book kept at Central Office into which was entered "the particulars of all felonies reported where no persons are apprehended" (MEPO 8/3). The reference to "G.O. Dead Bodies par 8" is, I believe, a reference to paragraph 8 of the General Orders in force at the time relating to the procedure in respect of dead bodies. A copy of the 1888 General Orders does not appear to have survived but paragraph 8 of the section "Dead Bodies" from the 1873 General Orders (MEPO 8/3) - which is probably the same - states: "…a report of the full particulars of each case, describing dress etc., and two copies of the photograph, to be sent to Commissioners Office". This was from a P.O. of 6 November 1871. It will be noted that the final sentence of Ellisdon’s report says, "Two copies of photograph attached" and this is no doubt in compliance with this order.

Special Report 2 – dated 16.08.88 (Tabram)

Authored by Inspector Reid and submitted by Supt Arnold, this report does have a cover - and the point to which I want to draw attention is that the Sourcebook is in error here in that it says that the cover states "Executed". It does not. It says "Executive" – meaning that the report was submitted to Executive Branch – something which is clear from the fact that it is summarised and signed by Superintendent Cutbush before forwarding to the A.C.C. I understand that 16 August 1888 was the very day that James Monro, the A.C.C., submitted his resignation (according to Simon Wood on this site, in a post dated 16 June 2008) and it may be that he never saw the report which is initialled "ACB" – being the initials of Alexander Carmichael Bruce (actually the A.C.A. who ended up substituting for the A.C.C.!). You will see from the sourcebook that the report is sent "TO AC CID" and then next to this in the sourcebook is "[ACB]". These are the written initials of Bruce in his handwriting. Cutbush did not expressly send the report to Bruce, just to the A.C.C., who was Monro. I'm not entirely sure why the Sourcebook in note 3 for chapter 2 on page 566 refers to Bruce as "Assistant Commissioner (CID)" when he was not, and, as far as I am aware, was not yet the acting A.C.C. (although I suppose he might have taken on the role informally). The fact that Monro had just submitted his resignation may or may not have affected the efficient circulation of information about Martha Tabram’s murder within C.I.D. The cover of this report refers to the Police Order of 9 February 1888 and, by being sent to the Executive Branch, is submitted in accordance with this order.

Special Report 3 – dated 24.08.88 (Tabram)

Authored by Inspector Reid, submitted by Supt Arnold to Executive, Supt Cutbush, who forwards to A.C.C. but is seen by Bruce who initials "ACB". Refers P.O. of 09.02.88.

Special Report 4 – dated 31.08.88 (Nichols)

Authored by Inspector Spratling, submitted by Supt Keating to Executive, Inspector Davis for Supt Cutbush who forwards to A.C.C. – probably initialled ACB but slightly cut off on the microfilm - (with copy to Col Pearson, the A.C.B.). Refers P.O. of 09.02.88.

Special Report 5 – dated 07.09.88 (Nichols)

Authored by Inspector Helson, submitted by Supt Keating, does not expressly refer to "Executive" but received by Acting Supt Davis and forwarded to A.C.C. (now officially Anderson but he was about to go on leave so Bruce is probably still acting as A.C.C.) and initialled ACB. Refers P.O. of 09.02.88.

Special Report 6 – dated 08.09.88 (Chapman)

Authored by Inspector Chandler, submitted by Acting Supt West to Executive, Acting Supt Davis, and forwarded to A.C.C. – initialled ACB - and sent by A.C.C. to Chief Constable Williamson with reference to Abberline taking over the investigation. Refers P.O. 09.02.88 (and also refers to Consolidated Orders, section 10, par 57, pages 542 & 548, which I believe incorporates P.O. 09.02.88).

Special Report 7 – dated 11.09.88 (Chapman)

Authored by Inspector Styles, submitted by Acting Supt McFadden (Y Division) to H Division, Acting Supt West, and thence to Inspector Abberline at the inquest on 12.09.88, thence to A.C.C. (Bruce, who dates 20.09.88).

Special Report 8 – dated 13.09.88 (Chapman)

Authored and submitted by Supt West, no cover or further information. Under "Reference To Papers" is stated "Correspondence No. 52893, Murder in Hanbury St Spitalfields".

Special Report 9 – dated 14.09.88 (Chapman)

Authored by Inspector Chandler, submitted by Acting Supt West to Chief Inspector Swanson, thence to Supt Shore (on 15.09.88). There is a cover but the entry for "Submitted through" is blank.

Special Report 10 - dated 14.09.88 (Nichols/Chapman)

Authored by Inspector Abberline, submitted by Acting Supt West to Chief Inspector Swanson, thence to Chief Constable Williamson (who writes "Mr Bruce"), thence to A.C.C. (who initials ACB on 17.09.88). The Sourcebook is in error here (on page 55) because it assigns the cover of this report to the next report (of Inspector Chandler) dated 15.09.88 when it is the cover to Abberline’s report. (It also slightly mis-transcribes the subject of the report as "re murder in Whitechapel" when it is in fact "re murders in Whitechapel", and the cover also refers to "murders in Whitechapel 31st ult and 8th Inst" not "murder" as in the Sourcebook.)

Special Report 11 - dated 15.09.88 (Chapman)

Authored by Inspector Chandler, with addition by Inspector Abberline, submitted by Acting Supt West to Williamson, i.e. "submitted through Chief Constable, C.I.D.", via Chief Inspector Swanson, thence from Williamson (who writes "Mr Bruce") to A.C.C. (Bruce, who initials on 18.09.88).

Special Report 12 – dated 17.09.08 (Chapman/Isenschmid)

Authored by Sgt Thick, submitted by Acting Supt West to unknown as no cover in the file.

Special Report 13 – dated 18.09.88 (Tabram/Nichols/Chapman)

This is a Central Officer’s Special Report, authored by Inspector Abberline, submitted by Acting Supt West to unknown as no cover in the file. There are a couple of corrections to what is in the Sourcebook (on page 58). The notation "Seen, Mr Williamson has been to see the Dr. at the Infirmary" is followed by the initials "ACB" not "CW" as stated in the Sourcebook. Then the next notation reads "Identification postponed by order of CW – WT 20/9".

Special Report 14 – dated 19.09.88 (Chapman/Isenschmid)

Authored by Sgt Thick, not counter-signed, no cover or further information.

Special Report 15 – dated 19.09.88 (Chapman/Isenschmid)

Authored by Inspector Helson, submitted by Acting Supt West to A.C.C.

Special Report 16 – dated 19.09.88 (Nichols/Chapman)

Central Officer’s Special Report, authored by Inspector Abberline, submitted by Supt Shore. There is no cover and the Sourcebook is in error (on page 62) in attributing to this report the words:

"C.O. Reference Divisional Reference
    Submitted through Executive
    J. Division
    Subject Report Re Murder of a woman unknown
    "

Clearly, Abberline was not writing about the murder of an unknown woman on 19 September as all victims had been identified by this date, and the above wording actually comes from the cover of the report of Inspector Spratling of 31.08.88 which can be seen on page 22 of the Sourcebook (although the words "at Bucks Row, Whitechapel 31st inst." have been omitted from page 62). The error is easily explicable because the Spratling report of 31.08.88 appears at ff.238-240, the cover is at f.241, while the Abberline report of 19.09.88 follows straight after this at ff. 242-256. But the cover does not relate to Abberline’s report.

Special Report 17 – dated 25.09.88 (Tabram)

Authored by Inspector Reid, submitted by Acting Supt West to ACC. The Sourcebook (at page 13) wrongly dates this report as 24 September 1888.

Special Report 18 – dated Sept 1888 (Tabram)

This is a Central Officer’s Special Report, authored by Chief Inspector Swanson, not countersigned and with no cover. The Sourcebook is in error on page 16 in attributing a cover to this report which says "Detail of reports in tabular form for reference" because this is actually the cover to the previous document in the file (f.35) – not included in the Sourcebook - which is a table setting out the details of the murder of Tabram.

Special Report 19 – dated 04.10.88 (Stride)

Central Officer’s Special Report, authored by Inspector Moore and submitted by Inspector Abberline and Supt Arnold. No cover information.

Special Report 20 – dated 04.10.88 (Stride)

Authored by Sgt White, submitted by Inspector Abberline and Supt Arnold. Initialled by ACB, 05.10. No cover information.

Special Report 21 – dated 01.11.88 (Stride)

Chief Officer’s Special Report, authored by Inspector Abberline. No cover information.

Special Report 22 – dated 12.11.88 (Kelly – witness statement of George Hutchinson)

Authored by Sgt Badham, countersigned by Inspector Ellison, submitted by Inspector Abberline and Supt Arnold. Cover does not say who report was submitted through.

Special Report 23 – dated 12.11.88 (Kelly)

Central Officer’s Special Report, authored by Inspector Abberline and submitted by Supt Arnold. No cover information.

CONCLUSION

I have been through this in a lot of detail but the simple point I wanted to convey in this post is that, with the possible exception of the first special report, for which we do not have the cover, all special reports up to and including 8 September 1888, in respect of the murders of Tabram, Nichols and Chapman, were submitted to Executive Branch, expressly in accordance with P.O. of 9 February 1888 before being forwarded to A.C.C. To the extent that it is possible to say, no reports to Central Office after this date were submitted to Executive Branch but (with the single exception of a report on 14 September, which was possibly submitted to Chief Inspector Swanson) they went either to Chief Constable Williamson or the Assistant Commissioner in the Criminal Investigation Department (A.CC.).

I will be attempting in my next post (The Gripes of Mr Williamson – part 2) to explain why I think it happened like this.
Working...
X