Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by RockySullivan 59 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by RockySullivan 1 hour and 2 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by jerryd 1 hour and 17 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Abby Normal 1 hour and 23 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by jerryd 1 hour and 29 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Abby Normal 2 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - (60 posts)
Non-Fiction: Scholes of the Yard: The Casebook of a Scotland Yard Detective 1888 to 1924 - (3 posts)
Martha Tabram: Probibility of Martha Tabram Being a JtR Victim - (1 posts)
Scene of the Crimes: Bucks Row Project - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > General Discussion

Old 09-09-2017, 03:16 PM
Premium Member
Premium Member

Default Jacob Schikaneder - Murder in the house (1890)

I can't help thinking this painting was influenced by the Ripper murders. Looking at it, it's as if Elizabeth Stride was killed in Miller's Court.

On the wiki page, it says the artist, after losing much of his work in a fire in 1881, traveled through Europe for the next decade.

Not saying it's something to follow through, but I thought it was an interesting coincidence.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped..._the_House.JPG
Old 09-09-2017, 03:51 PM
Inspector

He's definitely a member of the new school of realism in art. The body language and expressions of the onlookers are both dramatic and natural.
Does the man pointing at the dead woman have blood on his hand? I think he's justifying the murder he has just committed.
---------------
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 05:20 AM
Detective

Research has identified the place that inspired Murder in the House as the opening of the dead-end Sitalska street which lead in part to the ghetto of the artist’s home city, Prague.

From -
https://kweiseye.wordpress.com/2015/...eder-1855-1924

Does make me wonder if it's based on a real murder.

edit

Found the following on reddit

Schikaneder probably began to work on his painting Murder in the House in 1889, his fifth year as a teacher at the School of Decorative Arts in Prague. For the artist, Murder in the House undoubtedly represented another attempt to win recognition beyond the Austro-Hungarian Monarchy; hence, the canvas’ monumental size (203 x 321 cm).

Schikaneder presented his work in 1890 at the international exhibition in Berlin, Germany.

The painting was a sensation in Prague one year later at the Jubilee Exhibition’s Czech art display. Reportedly, however, the crowds of visitors mostly wondered if the painting depicted the young girl’s murder or suicide.

Recent research identified the specific place that inspired Schikaneder. The dark courtyard was actually the opening of the dead-end Špitálská street leading from Rabínská street in the Jewish Town. Schikaneder was very familiar with the Prague Ghetto before its clearance, as he had lived in house No. 186 at the corner of Dušní and Masařská streets in Josefov at the ghetto’s periphery since 1872. In the late 19th century, the Jewish Ghetto was a social ghetto, too, where the poorest of Prague’s inhabitants lived. In this context, Schikaneder’s painting can be seen as social criticism.

In Schikaneder’s oeuvre, Murder in the House closes a continuous series of artworks with the theme of the tragic fate of women. In Czech art of the last third of the 19th century, it represents a rare attempt to express both realist and naturalist tendencies in painting.

There is a source link for the above but I get a 404 page.

https://www.reddit.com/r/museum/comm...the_house_1890

Thanks SirJohnFalstaff. Always good to see some fine art I haven't seen before.
And you and I floundering at them in the ever vainer hope that we might corral then into meaning when we will not.
We will not.

Last edited by Ozzy : 09-10-2017 at 05:24 AM.
Old 09-10-2017, 08:06 AM
Chief Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcdunn View Post
Does the man pointing at the dead woman have blood on his hand? I think he's justifying the murder he has just committed.
Not that I can see.
Old 09-10-2017, 01:15 PM
Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry D View Post
Not that I can see.
I suppose it could just be a shadow. Perhaps he's only the finder of the body...
---------------
Old 09-21-2017, 01:34 PM
Premium Member
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzy View Post
Research has identified the place that inspired Murder in the House as the opening of the dead-end Sitalska street which lead in part to the ghetto of the artist’s home city, Prague.

From -
https://kweiseye.wordpress.com/2015/...eder-1855-1924

Does make me wonder if it's based on a real murder.

edit

Found the following on reddit

Schikaneder probably began to work on his painting Murder in the House in 1889, his fifth year as a teacher at the School of Decorative Arts in Prague. For the artist, Murder in the House undoubtedly represented another attempt to win recognition beyond the Austro-Hungarian Monarchy; hence, the canvas’ monumental size (203 x 321 cm).

Schikaneder presented his work in 1890 at the international exhibition in Berlin, Germany.

The painting was a sensation in Prague one year later at the Jubilee Exhibition’s Czech art display. Reportedly, however, the crowds of visitors mostly wondered if the painting depicted the young girl’s murder or suicide.

Recent research identified the specific place that inspired Schikaneder. The dark courtyard was actually the opening of the dead-end Špitálská street leading from Rabínská street in the Jewish Town. Schikaneder was very familiar with the Prague Ghetto before its clearance, as he had lived in house No. 186 at the corner of Dušní and Masařská streets in Josefov at the ghetto’s periphery since 1872. In the late 19th century, the Jewish Ghetto was a social ghetto, too, where the poorest of Prague’s inhabitants lived. In this context, Schikaneder’s painting can be seen as social criticism.

In Schikaneder’s oeuvre, Murder in the House closes a continuous series of artworks with the theme of the tragic fate of women. In Czech art of the last third of the 19th century, it represents a rare attempt to express both realist and naturalist tendencies in painting.

There is a source link for the above but I get a 404 page.

https://www.reddit.com/r/museum/comm...the_house_1890

Thanks SirJohnFalstaff. Always good to see some fine art I haven't seen before.
Thanks a bunch for the research!