Dutfield's Yard & Berner St. 3D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dutfield's Yard & Berner St. 3D

I've managed to retrieve and update most of the stuff I lost on my autumnofterror.com website featuring lots of JtR 3D projects.

In the latest post, I've 3D'ed the Phillip Hutchinson Dutfield's Yard photo (HDY) along with several other photos of Berner St. & the Goods Dept in Gower St.

I have accurately mapped/recreated HDY and created a 3D model so it's possible to 'go into' the yard and view it from different angles/locations.
    The .gif below starts at the actual photographic viewpoint of HDY. You can see the apex of the Goods Dept in the background which is accurately positioned and mapped using two other photos of Berner St with the Goods Dept in the background.

The full blog post is here:

and below is a .gif of HDY in 3D

I've not shown ANY part of Phillip Hutchinson's DY photo so I've not breached any copyright (I hope)!
    However, this image is a 95% accurate 3D render of HDY. This image, when superimposed with HDY is very accurate.

If this 3D is TOO accurate for Phil (Hutchinson) I will remove it upon request. But I've not included ANY part of the original photo.

I've not pasted the image here in the forum because it's pretty big and will fill the forum page!
    JtRmap.com<< JtR Interactive Map
    JtRmap FORM << Use this form to make suggestions for map annotations
    ---------------------------------------------------
    JtR3d.com << JtR 3D & #VR Website

Excellent work again Richard.
    I wasn't aware of the space behind the end row house opposite and the two toilets? behind.

Can you clarify what the recess in the club wall is intended to be, it looks like a sealed-up doorway, with two shelves across.
    Regards, Jon S.

Comment

That, is really great work.
      It really gives you a better understanding of the yard.

I would love to see a 360 image of that through VR goggles

Comment

Thanks!
        The area with the toilets is sort of artistic license, but I must have read somewhere that there was a privy or something like it in that space. There is certainly a space between the back of the No. 42 and the cottages.

The recess with the two shelves - That's a doorway of the club. The two shelve looking things are there because that's what they look like in HDY. Have a look at HDY and look for the two cats in the doorway just beyond the cellar ventilation grate. To be honest I haven't a clue what they are but they are there because HDY shows them. Reckon the doorway was indeed sealed-up at the time HDY was taken.

Maybe someone can offer an explanation?

Comment

A new one, thanks Richard, great work as always.
          G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Hi Richard

Great work, but when the gates were closed the gate barely cleared Liz Strides feet. In effect she lay nearer to the street than your model shows

Observer

Comment

So, she wasn't right next to the cellar ventilation grate? All the newspaper illustrations and most info suggest she was close to the cellar ventilation grate. And the cellar ventilation grate is in that exact position as can be verified from HDY.

Comment

Originally posted by richardh View Post
                So, she wasn't right next to the cellar ventilation grate? All the newspaper illustrations and most info suggest she was close to the cellar ventilation grate. And the cellar ventilation grate is in that exact position as can be verified from HDY.

If the grid is in the correct location then the newspaper illustrations are incorrect. Which other "info" do you refer to?

PC Henry Lamb

" Dr. Phillips came ten minutes later. Inspector Pinhorn arrived directly after Dr. Blackwell. When I blew my whistle other constables came, and I had the entrance of the yard closed. This was while Dr. Blackwell was looking at the body. Before that the doors were wide open. The feet of the deceased extended just to the swing of the gate, so that the barrier could be closed without disturbing the body."

Comment

Which other "info" do you refer to?
                  Well,

I will move her toward the gate.

Comment

Well, the way your post was worded, I assumed you had other information, other than the newspaper illustrations, a written statement for example.

It would be advisable to move her towards the gate, of course that's your prerogative.

Comment

Stating the bleedin obvious, I would suggest that the artists working for the newspapers visited the site some time after the murder, and assumed she lay next to the grate.

Comment

and:
                        "Stride's body was discovered about 10-15 feet along the northern side of the yard, just before the door of the club, in front of a cellar ventilation grate."

Comment

Where's the reference for that statement?

As I said it's your prerogative where you place the body. So either take the statement of an eye witness in the form of PC Lamb, or use the information you provided above. It's up to you.

Comment

I would suggest the statement you provided came about as a result of the Newspaper illustrations of the time.

Comment

We do have statements which suggest the gateway was about 9 feet wide, and other statements which describe two gates closed the yard, therefore each gate about 4.5 ft in width.
                              Given the described close proximity of her feet to the right-side gate when fully opened, the assumption has always been her feet were of the order of 5-6 ft from the edge of the pavement/footpath.
                              We have no estimation where the grate in the club wall was.
                              Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Working...
                              X