source of rumour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• source of rumour

Hello All. The following snippet is from "The Echo" 5 November, 1888. I was wondering whether anyone knew the source of the "Irish Invincible" rumour?

Also, which Kelly is being referred to? Tim Kelly was hanged in 1883, if I recall properly.

Thanks.

Cheers.
    LC
    Attached Files

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
    Also, which Kelly is being referred to? Tim Kelly was hanged in 1883, if I recall properly.

Thanks.

Cheers.
    LC
    Hi Lynn. Definitely hanged in June 83. Click image for larger version

Name:	kelly hanged.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	10.8 KB
ID:	664757
    I can't see any other Kelly in the Kilmainham Prison list I sent you a copy of (apart from an unconnected sheep stealer).

Comment

Just a thought-Is the snippet from the Echo not just telling us that the among Invincibles who received penal servitude for life (Hanlon did?)all of them are still in prison despite the rumours of early release and when saying Tim Kelly's sentence 'expired some time ago', they are saying that he was hanged?

Comment

Bah!

Hello Debs. Thanks.

That was certainly better than being hanged for a lamb. (heh-heh)

Cheers.
        LC

Comment

third time not so charming

Hello (again) Debs. Thanks.

That could be it, but seems a bit colourful for standard journalism.

Joseph Hanlon was the one whose testimony got Tim Kelly hanged (3rd try). He was secretly resettled.

Cheers.
          LC

Comment

Joseph Hanlon was the one whose testimony got Tim Kelly hanged (3rd try). He was secretly resettled.

Cheers.
            LC
            Hi Lynn, yes, Joseph Hanlon was listed as discharged after becoming an "Approver" but I meant the other one (Joseph's brother?) Lawrence. His sentence was penal servitude for life but I can't quite make out what it says in the end column (the one that describes what ultimately happened to each man)

Comment

The end column entry for Lawrence Hanlon:

Click image for larger version

Name:	hanlon lawrence.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	11.8 KB
ID:	664758

Comment

Hello Debs. Thanks.

Molony indicates that the brother never wavered but stood firm. He lists him as having received penal servitude for life and was released in 1899.

Cheers.
                LC

Comment

Sent to Mountjoy.

Comment

a date with . . .

Hello (again) Debs. Thanks.

Looks like 10 May, 1883. Perhaps a sentencing date?

Cheers.
                    LC

Comment

whither?

Hello (yet again) Debs. Wonder why not Downpatrick--like the rest?

Cheers.
                      LC

Comment

Hello (yet again) Debs. Wonder why not Downpatrick--like the rest?

Cheers.
                        LC
                        I think it's possible that any of them could have been transfrered between several different prisons after sentencing. Hanlon may have been sent to Mountjoy immediately in 83 but he wouldn't necessarily have been there in 88 when the Echo reported on the rumours.

Comment

Ah!

Hello Debs. Thanks. That makes sense.

Cheers.
                          LC

Comment

The ones who received 10 years penal servitude (which seems to be a lot of them) have a release dates in April 1893 (I don't know if it's a proposed or actual release date) in the prison register.
                            There is another who received a life PS sentence and he was also sent straight to Mountjoy. Joseph Mullet.
                            Any other who got life? If not, the rumour would be about Mullet or Hanlon? And in Hanlon's case it wasn't true. Do you have a date for Mullet's release, Lynn? Thanks
                            Last edited by Debra A; 01-14-2013, 12:25 PM.

Comment

Mullet still being locked up in Dec 93 is something discussed by Patrick Tynan. He mentions Mullet's colleagues still being in prison too. Does he mean the ones who got ten years and should have been released April 93?

Comment

Working...
                              X