Robert Paul

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FrankO View Post
    I agree, Michael. It’s argued that Lechmere w/couldn’t run because, otherwise, he would likely have run right into the arms of PC Neil, for example, (although no alarm would be raised for at least half a minute after walking away), but waiting for Paul would only mean increasing the risk of walking into this SAME PC on the western stretch of Buck’s Row or, even, of this PC arriving at the spot before he & Paul could leave. This would have been a very real possibility and Lechmere the killer could not bank on it not to happen.

I can’t imagine that meeting a PC in Buck’s Row (who would very likely be the beat PC) would look more attractive to Lechmere than walking away right after hearing Paul.

All the best,
    Frank
    Hi Frank/all
    I agree-the most likely thing for him to have done was skidaddle the second her heard or saw Paul.

However, if he thought he was almost caught red handed, and wasn't sure what Paul had seen He may have froze for a second or two and stayed put to bluff it out.
    but then he walks with Paul to the policeman. he could have separated with him at any point.

that being said Ive softened a little bit to the whole thing because I had a similar experience. walking to my car late at night that was parked in an alley I turned the corner and came upon a man down and a man very near. he said when he saw me go get help. I turned and went back out in the street and flagged a copper. when we got back the standing man had fled and the man on the ground was coming to. he said the other man had knocked him out and stole his wallet, watch and phone.
    "Is all that we see or seem
    but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
    quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

hello franko. he would have had to have known pc neil was coming from that direction to fear running away from paul. there have been two points that ive been considering in the lechmere theory:

1. he had a knife and was capable of murder. why not juat stab paul?
      2. how could he distinguish between the sound of paul's boots and a constable's boots? or, how did he know that the approaching man (paul) wasn't the constable?
      there,s nothing new, only the unexplored

Comment

Originally posted by Robert St Devil View Post
        2. how could he distinguish between the sound of paul's boots and a constable's boots? or, how did he know that the approaching man (paul) wasn't the constable?
        Hi Robert

Police issue boots of the Victorian period were notoriously heavy; I believe Punch magazine once said they could be heard a full half mile away. While this is (probably) an exaggeration, Neil did say he heard (rather than saw) his fellow PC Thain pass the end of Buck's Row, which was about 100 yards away. Contrast that with Cross first hearing Paul approach at just 40 yards.

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
          However, if he thought he was almost caught red handed, and wasn't sure what Paul had seen He may have froze for a second or two and stayed put to bluff it out.
          but then he walks with Paul to the policeman. he could have separated with him at any point.
          Hi Abby,

A couple of remarks.

Firstly, of course, Lechmere the killer may not have been completely sure about what Paul had seen, but I would think he must have been fairly sure Paul wouldn’t see him before he’d taken his position in the middle of the street. Otherwise, why do it at all? What use would it have if Paul could hear or see him before he was ready?

Secondly, I don’t have any doubts that Lechmere may have frozen for a couple of seconds when he first heard Paul, but a couple of seconds wouldn’t have mattered much, as Paul would still have been some 50 yards away from him after those couple of seconds, which wouldn’t have changed the situation much. He would still have had half a minute or so to walk away instead of increasing the chance that he'd walk into the beat PC on the western part of Buck’s Row by waiting for Paul. If he judged the chance was too big that he would walk right into the arms of a PC if he would get away when he first heard Paul, that chance would only increase with the time he waited before leaving the crime spot, whether that would be alone or in company with Paul.

All the best,
          Frank
          "You can rob me, you can starve me and you can beat me and you can kill me. Just don't bore me."
          Clint Eastwood as Gunny in "Heartbreak Ridge"

Comment

Working...
          X