No announcement yet.

Ripper Street series 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How is it that a British TV series is available in the USA before being screened over here? (Not a complaint - just puzzled).
    I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Originally posted by Bridewell View Post
      How is it that a British TV series is available in the USA before being screened over here? (Not a complaint - just puzzled).
      It was shown first in the UK on Amazon Prime Instant Video (and is still available on this streaming format). I believe it was a joint project with the BBC, but Amazon put up most of the cash, hence they showed it first.

Comment

Originally posted by Bridewell View Post
        I think it is because the first two seasons were produced by the BBC and aired on BBC America, but then dropped by the BBC. The creators shopped it around and Amazon comissioned a third season to air online, and now BBC America is airing the third season for us lucky Yanks.
        Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
        ---------------
        Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
        ---------------

Comment

I still cannot get my head around the stupid Shakespearian dialect .. This is the East End of London just over a hundred years ago , quite far removed from Romeo & Juliet

Comment

Yes, I couldn't believe my ears either, the scriptwriter is trying too hard.
            Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Sonny Jim says he has a couple of seasons so when I see him in November I'll bludge some off him.
              G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Apologies, I beg to differ with your opinion

Originally posted by moonbegger View Post
                I still cannot get my head around the stupid Shakespearian dialect .. This is the East End of London just over a hundred years ago , quite far removed from Romeo & Juliet
                I disagree. The language is hardly that old-fashioned (no "thee" or "thou"), but it is definitely more formal than modern speech. Language does change, sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly, but the fact they do not sound like they live in the 21st century is what I enjoy about this series. Words like "doxy" and phrases such as "he waits above us" add to the flavor that this is a different time and place.
                I dislike historical dramas in which people wear incorrect costumes and use modern slang and colloquial expressions.
                ---------------
                Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                ---------------

Comment

How strange is it that Ripper Street is the one series that is not available for free "on demand" by U.S cable providers, where you can watch any other episode of any other series for free if you subscribe to that channel, Ripper Street is $2.99 per episode to watch.....doesn't seem right

Steadmund Brand
                  "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by Steadmund Brand View Post
                    How strange is it that Ripper Street is the one series that is not available for free "on demand" by U.S cable providers, where you can watch any other episode of any other series for free if you subscribe to that channel, Ripper Street is $2.99 per episode to watch.....doesn't seem right

Steadmund Brand
                    We're watching it for free On Demand, but then we also get BBC America, which must be the difference. Didn't know it cost other folks...
                    ---------------
                    ---------------

Comment

I've found out it's on Pay TV here.
                      G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Wait for the Bluray and a JB HiFi 20% off sale or eBay/Amazon.
                        My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

Originally posted by DJA View Post
                          Wait for the Bluray and a JB HiFi 20% off sale or eBay/Amazon.
                          Thanks
                          G U T

Comment

Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
                            I disagree. The language is hardly that old-fashioned (no "thee" or "thou"), but it is definitely more formal than modern speech. Language does change, sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly, but the fact they do not sound like they live in the 21st century is what I enjoy about this series. Words like "doxy" and phrases such as "he waits above us" add to the flavor that this is a different time and place.
                            I dislike historical dramas in which people wear incorrect costumes and use modern slang and colloquial expressions.
                            Hello Pcunn , Growing up in and around those very East End streets , and being 5th generation born and bread Londoner , as well as having first hand experience of my great great grandparents , and all their ole china's , I can assure you , the writer severely over egged that particular pudding .. He or she , would have better served the historical accuracy of East London dialect by simply reading through the inquest reports of the day .. I do however understand how easy it would be for folk with no real experience of old working class London dialect to get sucked in to believing whatever the clueless writer decides is reality .. But for those who actually know , its a load of pony

Cheers .

Comment

Hi Moony,

That was the only bum note for me in the first two series, the phoney sounding lingo at times. Maybe it was done for the wider audience? Can't be too many of us around who would recognise the difference. All four of my grandparents were growing up in the 1880s/90s but I only knew one of them, my dad's dad, a Londoner who died in 1962.

I'm waiting for the BBC to show series 3 here later in the year for free (and hopefully the newly commissioned episodes eventually).

Love,

Caz
                              X
                              "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Thanks for the replies

Moonbeggar and Caz, thank you for your responses about dialect (or lack thereof) in "Ripper Street". I thought some characters did have accents, that's how much I know!

Seriously, if everyone spoke authentic Cockney and thieves' cant, no one watching would understand it (at least over here!)
                                ---------------
                                ---------------

Comment

Working...
                                X