The face of Leather Apron

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The face of Leather Apron

I'm not sure how I've only just noticed, but the Star 11th Sept '88 has a sketch of John Piser, alias Leather Apron!

Piser said that sketch looked no more like himself than it did the man on the moon.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
      I'm not sure how I've only just noticed, but the Star 11th Sept '88 has a sketch of John Piser, alias Leather Apron!
      That's Henri Toulouse-Lautrec, if I'm not mistaken
      Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

I saw this sketch somewhere before I just can't remember where!

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
          Piser said that sketch looked no more like himself than it did the man on the moon.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
          Maybe because it might be Piggott? As Chris Phillips once suggested

Comment

Here's an 1888 sketch of LA

Comment

Originally posted by Debra A View Post
              Maybe because it might be Piggott? As Chris Phillips once suggested
              Funnily enough, Piggott is mentioned in the paragraph above, so I assumed it was him until I saw the caption (it's pretty close to how I pictured him). So you (and Chris) may well be correct.
              It also mentions that it was Piggott who Mrs Fiddymont failed to pick out of a lineup, whereas I'm pretty sure that another article said this was Piser.
              I suppose they could both have been in the lineup, but still...

Comment

Funnily enough, Piggott is mentioned in the paragraph above, so I assumed it was him until I saw the caption (it's pretty close to how I pictured him). So you (and Chris) may well be correct.
                It also mentions that it was Piggott who Mrs Fiddymont failed to pick out of a lineup, whereas I'm pretty sure that another article said this was Piser.
                To be honest, I hadn't really thought too much about it until Chris mentioned it once and then he got me wondering. IIRC Chris noted that Piser's description didn't feature a beard. That's the only part of his reasoning I remember offhand, but there was more to it.

Comment

To be honest, I hadn't really thought too much about it until Chris mentioned it once and then he got me wondering. IIRC Chris noted that Piser's description didn't feature a beard. That's the only part of his reasoning I remember offhand, but there was more to it.
                  Yes, I think Piser was described as having two or three days of beard growth, but that looks a lot more to me.

Comment

I think the sketch of the fellow with the heavy 'tasche and a scar on his clean-shaven cheek is more likely to be Pizer or Piser, given that he was described as a ugly man who the boys taunted, or something of the sort.

The bearded gent has a monocle, for Pete's sake! Does look like Toulouse-Latrec, though.

I will add that many sketches of Ripper suspects who were presumed to be Jewish reflected a certain biogtry of the era.
                    Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
                    ---------------
                    Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                    ---------------

Comment

Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
                      I think the sketch of the fellow with the heavy 'tasche and a scar on his clean-shaven cheek is more likely to be Pizer or Piser, given that he was described as a ugly man who the boys taunted, or something of the sort.

The bearded gent has a monocle, for Pete's sake! Does look like Toulouse-Latrec, though.

I will add that many sketches of Ripper suspects who were presumed to be Jewish reflected a certain biogtry of the era.

Actually, Pat. you picked up on something on the sketch I found and posted that made me look a lot closer at the Piser sketch posted by Josh. On zooming in, doesn't the first sketch also represent a large scar down the left cheek, rather than a 'monacle', and I wonder if perhaps the pointed bushy beard might actually be supposed to be the right shoulder area, unskillfully executed and merged with the five days growth?

Comment

I wonder if the carbuncular boil eruption Pizer was treated for in Paddington Infirmary in May 1888 was on his cheek and not his neck?

Comment

Hi Debs

Yes, that is Piggott in the sketch. I believe the artist saw Piggott in custody and thought it was Pizer.

Comment

Hi JR

Piggott was in the Fiddymont line up, and Pizer was in the Emanuel Violenia line up.
                            Both taken into custody on Monday morning, although Pizer was taken to Leman Street, and Piggott to Commercial Street.
                            Last edited by Jon Guy; 10-12-2017, 03:24 AM.

Comment

I wonder if the carbuncular boil eruption Pizer was treated for in Paddington Infirmary in May 1888 was on his cheek and not his neck?
                              There is quite a detailed description of Pizer, but no mention of a boil on his cheek.

Comment

Working...
                              X