What a week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What a week

So on Thursday evening I'm at work, and as I leave for me lunch break I get a frantic phone call from my wife: there's a fire at our apartment building, get home NOW! And I get home and the place is surrounded by fire trucks. Some idiot on the floor below ours appears to have left something on or in the stove while s/he lest the apartment. Luckily it was doused by the time I got there, and the firemen were just packing up.

Then last night I'm at work, and I leave for lunch, and as I walk back in the building the fire alarm is going off and the lobby starts filling with smoke--quickly. A LOT of smoke. Luckily everyone makes it out, because it looks like some idiot on the ground floor took off for the weekend and left a space heater on under her desk. It took the fire dept a couple hours to put it out (twice), after which the carbon monoxide levels were too high for us to return so we have to relocate to our backup site. We are informed that the fire was contained to the first floor with extensive smoke and water damage. We're on the top floor, so at least our office is okay. Then a hour later we're contacted and told the fire dept had to smash our windows to let the smoke and carbon monoxide to escape. To top it off the water mains in the street outside the office burst under the stain and flooded the main road--the water freezing almost immediately, causing them to shut do the road for about ten blocks.

My boss says I'm not allowed to go for lunch ever again....
    Last edited by Magpie; 12-10-2016, 02:06 AM.
    “Sans arme, sans violence et sans haine”

Originally posted by Magpie View Post
    So on Thursday evening I'm at work, and as I leave for me lunch break I get a frantic phone call from my wife: there's a fire at our apartment building, get home NOW! And I get home and the place is surrounded by fire trucks. Some idiot on the floor below ours appears to have left something on or in the stove while s/he lest the apartment. Luckily it was doused by the time I got there, and the firemen were just packing up.

Then last night I'm at work, and I leave for lunch, and as I walk back in the building the fire alarm is going off and the lobby starts filling with smoke--quickly. A LOT of smoke. Luckily everyone makes it out, because it looks like some idiot on the ground floor took off for the weekend and left a space heater on under her desk. It took the fire dept a couple hours to put it out (twice), after which the carbon monoxide levels were too high for us to return so we have to relocate to our backup site. We are informed that the fire was contained to the first floor with extensive smoke and water damage. We're on the top floor, so at least our office is okay. Then a hour later we're contacted and told the fire dept had to smash our windows to let the smoke and carbon monoxide to escape. To top it off the water mains in the street outside the office burst under the stain and flooded the main road--the water freezing almost immediately, causing them to shut do the road for about ten blocks.

My boss says I'm not allowed to go for lunch ever again....

Well at least all turned out well.

But eeeeeekk.
    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Mine was looking OK.

In Court early in the week, eventually settled it on great terms for my client, after a cross examination that my opponent called one of the best he has ever seen.

Heading off for a week on Monday, so all going great.

Then....

Twisted ankle yesterday, possibly a break, but too swollen to say for sure. It's going to slow me up a bit on our holiday and being the weekend struggling to line up a wheelchair or similar to assist.

But if I just sit on the balcony sending .Mrs Gut for refills of my Diet Coke and ordering room service I guess I'll get by.
      G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

GUT, don't tell the folks on holiday that you're a lawyer - they'll assume you're sueing yourself.

Magpie, in future I recommend you get an apartment, and a job, on the ground floor. Fire travels upwards.

Comment

In fact, from now on I want to be notified every time Karl goes on holiday and Magpie goes for lunch, so that I can take precautions.

Comment

Quiet enough week for me. Went shopping on last Sunday, and have been at home since. Can't stand this cold.

Can't stand the boob in the White House either, but am as likely to have affect on getting him out as on the weather.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayerling View Post

Can't stand the boob in the White House either, but am as likely to have affect on getting him out as on the weather.
              Trump isn't in the White House yet, so that comment is presumably directed at Obama? He'll be gone soon enough, unfortunately enough, and a bigger booby will come in.

My week was cold, with some lows sub-zero on Wednesday. It was finals week at the college where I work, and the library was filled with students. All at once, the fire alarm sounds off, and the recorded emergency message started playing.
              Some people started leaving, but we were soon told it was a false alarm. That's good, but the recorded message went on quite awhile before someone killed it.

(Seems they test the alarms at seven a.m., but somehow got behind schedule on this particular day. I'm just glad it was neither a drill nor a real fire.)

GUT, condolences on your injury, and I hope you enjoy your vacation. I will be off on leave starting the week after next, and am looking forward to it! (Even if it is likely to be a "stay-cation", but in December in the Rockies, that's the best kind!)
              Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
              ---------------
              Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
              ---------------

Comment

Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
                Trump isn't in the White House yet, so that comment is presumably directed at Obama? He'll be gone soon enough, unfortunately enough, and a bigger booby will come in.

My week was cold, with some lows sub-zero on Wednesday. It was finals week at the college where I work, and the library was filled with students. All at once, the fire alarm sounds off, and the recorded emergency message started playing.
                Some people started leaving, but we were soon told it was a false alarm. That's good, but the recorded message went on quite awhile before someone killed it.

(Seems they test the alarms at seven a.m., but somehow got behind schedule on this particular day. I'm just glad it was neither a drill nor a real fire.)

GUT, condolences on your injury, and I hope you enjoy your vacation. I will be off on leave starting the week after next, and am looking forward to it! (Even if it is likely to be a "stay-cation", but in December in the Rockies, that's the best kind!)
                Truth be told I have had some qualms on our 44th President on foreign policies, but I was actually referring to our slightly future 45th President.

I recall a comment by the former boss of New York State's Republican Party in the 1870s and early 1880s, Senator Roscoe Conkling. He never thought highly of President Rutherford Hayes, who began that struggle that eventually led to Conkling losing control of his Senate seat and the NYS Republican Party over the patronage of the New York Custom's House. He had, however, a further shock, when his old aide and friend Chester Arthur turned reformer as President, and had little use for Roscoe's advice. Roscoe summarized his disgruntled reaction to it all by saying that the only thing positive about the Presidency of Chester Arthur was it made that of Rutherford Hayes look wonderful if not heroic!

Hope you enjoy your holiday leave PC

Hope you feel better GUT.

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                X