Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
General Police Discussion: Leaving one's beat - by Pierre 8 minutes ago.
Notable Persons: Robert Paul - by Joshua Rogan 10 minutes ago.
Maybrick, James: 25 YEARS OF THE DIARY OF JACK THE RIPPER: THE TRUE FACTS by Robert Smith - by Iconoclast 13 minutes ago.
Maybrick, James: 25 YEARS OF THE DIARY OF JACK THE RIPPER: THE TRUE FACTS by Robert Smith - by Iconoclast 15 minutes ago.
Maybrick, James: 25 YEARS OF THE DIARY OF JACK THE RIPPER: THE TRUE FACTS by Robert Smith - by Iconoclast 17 minutes ago.
Maybrick, James: One Incontrovertible, Unequivocal, Undeniable Fact Which Refutes the Diary - by Iconoclast 19 minutes ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Maybrick, James: 25 YEARS OF THE DIARY OF JACK THE RIPPER: THE TRUE FACTS by Robert Smith - (34 posts)
Maybrick, James: One Incontrovertible, Unequivocal, Undeniable Fact Which Refutes the Diary - (23 posts)
General Police Discussion: Leaving one's beat - (22 posts)
Motive, Method and Madness: Was Annie Chapman a rotund woman? - (19 posts)
Witnesses: Value of a lie - (16 posts)
Mary Jane Kelly: Bloodhounds - (9 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Police Officials and Procedures > General Police Discussion

Old 05-28-2017, 09:37 AM
Assistant Commissioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Station Cat View Post
Would be interesting to know how many bobbies would have been on duty at the station at any one time. Does anyone know?
Monty will have a better idea than me. The establishment of 'H' Division in 1888 was:

1 Superintendent (Thomas Arnold)

30 Inspectors

44 Sergeants

473 Constables

(Total 548)

In my time (late 20th century - & Nottinghamshire not London) we had a 5 shift rota and you would reckon on 20% being on duty at any one time (less a maximum of 25% of that percentage on leave). That would suggest around 75 - 95 (for the whole of 'H' Division). In earlier times a 4 shift rota was the norm with a morning, an afternoon and a night shift, with the 4th on Rest Day. I suspect also that the numbers in the late 19th century were geared more towards night patrols, and that the figure would therefore have been rather higher but, if Monty's view is significantly at variance with that, I would take his numbers as the best estimate ahead of mine.

Last edited by Bridewell : 05-28-2017 at 09:42 AM.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 12:10 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridewell View Post
Monty will have a better idea than me. The establishment of 'H' Division in 1888 was:

1 Superintendent (Thomas Arnold)

30 Inspectors

44 Sergeants

473 Constables

(Total 548)

In my time (late 20th century - & Nottinghamshire not London) we had a 5 shift rota and you would reckon on 20% being on duty at any one time (less a maximum of 25% of that percentage on leave). That would suggest around 75 - 95 (for the whole of 'H' Division). In earlier times a 4 shift rota was the norm with a morning, an afternoon and a night shift, with the 4th on Rest Day. I suspect also that the numbers in the late 19th century were geared more towards night patrols, and that the figure would therefore have been rather higher but, if Monty's view is significantly at variance with that, I would take his numbers as the best estimate ahead of mine.

Nope, I agree with that Colin.

I will say that Commercial St had accommodation for around 50/60 beds, likewise Leman Street. Mile End and Crowder St took in about 20 each.

Make of that what you wish.

Monty

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622
Old 05-28-2017, 01:51 PM
Assistant Commissioner

I assume this is an accurate account of the strength of the Metropolitan Police force in 1888: http://www.casebook.org/press_report.../18881008.html
Old 05-29-2017, 02:29 AM
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post

Nope, I agree with that Colin.

I will say that Commercial St had accommodation for around 50/60 beds, likewise Leman Street. Mile End and Crowder St took in about 20 each.

Make of that what you wish.

Monty
50/60 beds in Commerical & Leman Street!!! That's huge. Bethnal Green only had 14 and I'm not aware of any section houses. The rest of the bobbies (however many) that might have been must have lived locally. We have 5 bobbies covering 9 beats (at night), one on fixed point. So that gives us 6. There would have had to have been some in the station to look after prisoners and the general up keep of the station (of these they would have also been on reserve, in case of major incident). So it doesn't appear that Bethnal Green had the same resources as Commerical & Leman Street?