Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - by Wickerman 5 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - by Wickerman 9 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - by MysterySinger 9 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - by Wickerman 10 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - by Wickerman 10 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - (18 posts)
Doctors and Coroners: Baxter's influence on Ripper lore - (8 posts)
Kosminski, Aaron: My theory on Kosminski - (6 posts)
Scene of the Crimes: Tabbard Street East? - (1 posts)
Non-Fiction: Elizabeth Stride and Jack the Ripper: The Life and Death of the Reputed Third Victim. - (1 posts)
Shades of Whitechapel: Caught!? Long Island Serial Killer suspect - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Letters and Communications

Old 01-04-2010, 06:34 AM
Constable

Default The openshaw and from hell letters

Were these written by the same person you think? I noticed there are spelling mistakes on both of them and the writing seems the same to me. I could be wrong, but has anyone seen both of these letters and compared the two? If you have, do you think they are written by the same hand?
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 03:22 PM
Detective

Hi jon,

The handwriting in both letters is considerably different. Also, the tone of both letters seems dissimilar. The From Hell letter was sent with a more direct message that seeemd to be unemotional but meant to be shocking. Openshaw's letter seems to be more mocking in tone; it even has lyrics to an Irish song (although altered) at the bottom of the letter. Of the two of them, the latter is probably more than likely a hoax. However, that does not mean the writer of both was not one and the same person. I personally believe the writer of some of the letters may have altered his handwriting (either willfully or involunatarily, like during a psychotic mood swing) that made it difficult to compare handwriting samples. It is also equally possible that both letters were, in fact, from the killer.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:59 PM
Inspector

Jon,

Dont know if you have seen this letter. It has handwriting similar to the Openshaw letter.
Attached Images

"To a homeless man, who has no spot on this wide world which he can truly call his own, there is a momentary feeling of something like independence and territorial consequence, when, after a weary day's travel, he kicks off his boots, thrusts his feet into slippers, and stretches himself before an inn fire. Let the world without go as it may; let kingdoms rise and fall, so long as he has the wherewithal to pay his bills, he is, for the time being, the very monarch of all he surveys. The arm chair in his throne; the poker his sceptre, and the little parlour of some twelve feet square, his undisputed empire. "

Stratford-on-Avon

Last edited by corey123 : 01-04-2010 at 09:03 PM.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:33 PM
Suspended

Hi Corey,

no similarity at all - and I have better eyes than Hutch.

Amitiés
David
Old 01-05-2010, 12:02 AM
Inspector

David,

I hope you do have better eyes than old Hutchy.

but I do see some similaritys.

None in the openshaw with from hell, but the openshaw and the one I posted above.

"To a homeless man, who has no spot on this wide world which he can truly call his own, there is a momentary feeling of something like independence and territorial consequence, when, after a weary day's travel, he kicks off his boots, thrusts his feet into slippers, and stretches himself before an inn fire. Let the world without go as it may; let kingdoms rise and fall, so long as he has the wherewithal to pay his bills, he is, for the time being, the very monarch of all he surveys. The arm chair in his throne; the poker his sceptre, and the little parlour of some twelve feet square, his undisputed empire. "

Stratford-on-Avon
Old 01-05-2010, 11:16 PM
Detective

other than sloppiness, I see no similarities whatsover between the letter above and the Openshaw letter.

I also see no similarities between either of those two and the From Hell letter. the only real similarity is that the Openshaw letter and From Hell letter both appear to be written using Irish slang words and some phonetic spelling. but the dangling letter in From Hell stab down, usually to points. whereas the dangling parts of letter in the Openshaw swoop around.

how the "ou" attach to "you" and "your" in the From Hell and Openshaw are vaguely similar, but not enough for me to think they were written by the same person.

the words beginning with "t" in the Openshaw letter and the one above are different. and "bloody" and "bloomin" are different.

My amateur opinion would be that none of the 3 were written by the same person.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:23 AM
Suspended

Written by a woman, in my amateur opinion.

As an expert, I'd say Toppy's sister.
From Romford.

Amitiés all,
David
Old 01-06-2010, 02:01 PM
Sergeant

Just throwing this out there, and not saying I necessarily believe it. Anyone for the theory that known prolific letter writer Walter Sickert- who was NOT Jack the Ripper- was responsible for a lot of the letters (including possibly some of the ones mentioned here) as a means to amuse himself, and that his skills as an artist enabled him to alter the style between them?
Old 01-06-2010, 03:35 PM
Suspended

Hi Kensei,

There isn't the single evidence of his supposed "fascination" in 1888.
That we know.

Amitiés,
David
Old 01-06-2010, 05:51 PM
Sergeant

Hi Jon & all,

My view is that they weren't written by the same hand. I don’t see any similarity in both letters - not in the handwriting, not in the tone and not in the number and type of errors.

The handwriting of the Openshaw letter seems fabricated:
- the words aren’t written in a general even (un)neatness
- the words aren’t written in the same size
- a lot of words are not written horizontal, some end higher than they begin, other end lower than they begin.

The ‘From Hell letter’ is much more evenly written, with the individual letters closer together.

The ‘From Hell’ letter’ is very to-the-point (it has a goal), while the ‘Openshaw letter’ seems to have been written just to mock, which is even accentuated by the lyric. In general the latter is much more similar to the ‘Dear Boss letter’ and ‘Saucy Jack card’ in that respect.

While only 9 errors in 57 words were made in the FH letter (=16%), 21 error in 83 words were made in the ‘OS letter’ (= 25%). Plus, while in the FH letter errors like ‘prasarved’, ‘nise’ and ‘wate’ are understandable, as perhaps are ‘Sor’ and ‘Mishter’, in my view errors like ‘hoperate’ ‘ospitle’, ‘dror’, ‘throte’, ‘innerds’, ‘devle’, ‘ mikerscope’ and ‘scalpul’ are a bit over the top in the OS letter.

All the best,
Frank