Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Debra A 6 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Sam Flynn 18 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Abby Normal 36 minutes ago.
General Suspect Discussion: Was Jack caught by London underworld? - by Elamarna 53 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Debra A 1 hour and 5 minutes ago.
General Suspect Discussion: Was Jack caught by London underworld? - by Mayerling 1 hour and 10 minutes ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - (39 posts)
Maybrick, James: 25 YEARS OF THE DIARY OF JACK THE RIPPER: THE TRUE FACTS by Robert Smith - (20 posts)
Martha Tabram: Probibility of Martha Tabram Being a JtR Victim - (8 posts)
General Suspect Discussion: Was Jack caught by London underworld? - (7 posts)
Non-Ripper Books by Ripper Authors: Mob Town by John Bennett - (3 posts)
General Discussion: Jack's early inspiration? - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Letters and Communications

View Poll Results: How many letters were real?
1 9 64.29%
2 3 21.43%
3 0 0%
4 1 7.14%
5 or more 1 7.14%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-27-2008, 08:10 PM
Detective

Oh, definitely the 17th Sept letter.

Ha! Not really! I go for a solid zero.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 08:36 PM
Detective

Well I too might be in the minority I agree that if any of them were real it would be the From Hell letter. I just look at the handwriting and have trouble believing they are all from the same person.

When one has one's hand full of truth it is not always wise to open it. ~French Proverb

Every truth passes through three stages before it is recognized. In the first, it is ridiculed, in the second it is opposed, in the third it is regarded as self-evident. ~Arthur Schopenhauer
Old 02-28-2008, 03:21 AM
perrymason

Hi again,

It would be interesting to know what people think the hoax punch line was with From Hell, because it seems to me that to produce a human kidney section, matching in general, the one taken from Kate...at the same approximate "age", taken from a human over two weeks earlier...and to include with it a note that has the killer offering this only to Lusk, the "hoaxer" either was humorless, or a nerd and humourless. I mean Dear Boss has press appeal, as does Saucy Jack..the snappy penmanship, the cheery ghoul phrases, a literate killer. From Hell is aptly named I think, and I think perhaps only a killer, or a prisoner would know what that really feels like.. while still alive that is.

Dear Boss and Saucy Jack have the distinction of being the only two that were reproduced and printed in poster format and circulated, but I dont see that as their official line on "Jacks handwriting" ...just good old fashioned Police work. And these are the only two where authors in the press business are suggested. Along with a later missive. Fabulous motive there.

Whats the motive for sending a human sample? Shock? Then why to only Lusk? Fun? Not really an "up" note with it.., To suggest the author is in fact whom he claims to be? That he means this..its real. Thats a motive...and not really for a hoaxer.

And no silly name like Jack the Ripper....Springheel Jack, Bootstrap Bill, or whatever.....I think this guy would have chosen something more like Phoenix, or perhaps Pilgrim....no offense to the member here of the same name, or The Reaper. Someone with the power to change the world around him with what he knows...at least in his own opinion. Someone who is above mere mortals, seeking greater goals...

Uteri produce life. Hmm? Connection? I think this guy played God...so he might have seen himself as one.

My best regards all.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:01 PM
Commisioner

Hi all!

My suspicion here is that there will be numerous posters saying what has already been said on the poll: Probably none of the letters were genuine. And then there will be a lot of throat-clearing and humming, followed by a "but if any of them was actually the real stuff, there is something about that Lusk letter..."

Myself, I would say that the weighed evidence coming from Brown and Openshaw seem to point firmly away from the Lusk letter being genuine. And therefore I will place my bet on the non-existing Zero button - and then add that there is something about that Lusk letter...

Annoying, isnīt it?

The best, all,
Fisherman
Old 02-28-2008, 06:18 PM
perrymason

Hi all,

I would think that most of us would agree that the letters which are really intended only to mock and boast never contained information that could be used to validate the authenticity of the author, pre-crime, or with strictly police held information about the crime scene.

The Lusk note is sent with a piece of anatomy that in general matches the organ likely taken from a woman over two weeks prior. There is effort taken there to validate the penmans ID. I cant recall another letter, other than some of the predictive ones, that is so earnestly seeking validation that the killer is willing to share a prize with his pursuer...and just one pursuer, not the Metro Police, Scotland Yard or Central Press.

Its intimate...and therefore for me, way creepier than any other....its the coolheaded killer in No Country for Old men... Victorian Style.

My best regards all.
Old 02-29-2008, 03:19 AM
Cadet

To mimic others, if I had to choose one it would be From Hell but I'm only about sixty percent certain. The only other one that comes close is the graffito but that is even lower and probably not worth mentioning.
Old 02-29-2008, 05:31 AM
Cadet

Post Unpopular View

Most Ripperologists insist that, at the very least, 3 of them are Ripper writings. Personally, I think the handwriting suggests 5 or more of them were. An unpopular view admittedly.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:41 AM
Assistant Commissioner

All the letters were real. I mean, I suspect they were all really written. The authorship is the mystery.

Mr. Helpful
Old 02-29-2008, 10:31 PM
Detective

Hey Mr. Helpful, wow that was funny - you should get a new username, something like Mr. Funny instead of Mr. Helpful. Kinda reminds me of Jack Handy

When one has one's hand full of truth it is not always wise to open it. ~French Proverb

Every truth passes through three stages before it is recognized. In the first, it is ridiculed, in the second it is opposed, in the third it is regarded as self-evident. ~Arthur Schopenhauer
Old 02-29-2008, 11:38 PM
Cadet

Well... a definite on the Goulston Graffiti but what version do we believe to be accurate? Will they... or they will they "not" be blamed for nothing?