No announcement yet.

Jack the Ripper At Last? by Helena Wojtczak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please forgive my imprecise use of language- I plead Monday Morning Brain. I intended the notorious person to be JtR not Sir William Gull who I have never believed had anything to do with the Whitechapel murders.

Comment

• Originally posted by Penhalion View Post
      Please forgive my imprecise use of language- I plead Monday Morning Brain. I intended the notorious person to be JtR not Sir William Gull who I have never believed had anything to do with the Whitechapel murders.

I understood you perfectly, Penhalion, I am ashamed to say that I often use imprecise language and I don't even have Monday Morning Brain to use as an excuse!
      I'm sure Sir William Gull had nothing to with the Whitechapel murders. It seems to me that anyone of note, or otherwise, that had any known connections with that area in 1888 is immediately a suspect. Even witness's are now scrutinised and accused of possible involvement. Personally I don't think JtR is anyone known to us and I don't think the police, then, had any clue either. Thousands lived in a relatively small area and it could have been anyone. I doubt that there was anything remarkable about him which is why he moved around so easily undetected. Most likely any descendants living today will never know of their connection to one of the most infamous murderers in history.

Comment

• I had high expectations but this exceeds them!

Thanks to the vagaries of the Post Office system at this time of year, I only got my copy of Helena's book when I returned home from work on Monday evening...since which, owing to other comitments I've only managed to get 64 pages in....

However, in those first 64 pages I've learned more about George Chapman than I ever thought I knew, and had a number of longstanding myths shattered/corrected. I can't wait to crack on further.

The book is fully referenced, properly indexed and yet manages to remain very readable. It also contains a wealth of useful illustrations.

It's a beautifully produced work with great attention to detail both inside and out and I'm delighted to have it...if anyone's for some reason or other holding back from buying it, quite honestly I'd say don't delay any further...and yes, I know the paperback's coming and will be deservedly popular, but in my view get the hardback while you can!

All the best

Dave

Comment

• Originally posted by Cogidubnus View Post
          Thanks to the vagaries of the Post Office system at this time of year, I only got my copy of Helena's book when I returned home from work on Monday evening...since which, owing to other comitments I've only managed to get 64 pages in....

However, in those first 64 pages I've learned more about George Chapman than I ever thought I knew, and had a number of longstanding myths shattered/corrected. I can't wait to crack on further.

The book is fully referenced, properly indexed and yet manages to remain very readable. It also contains a wealth of useful illustrations.

It's a beautifully produced work with great attention to detail both inside and out and I'm delighted to have it...if anyone's for some reason or other holding back from buying it, quite honestly I'd say don't delay any further...and yes, I know the paperback's coming and will be deservedly popular, but in my view get the hardback while you can!

All the best

Dave
          I second that, Dave, Can't agree with you more, although I have not started reading mine yet. It's a beautiful book and from what I've seen so far, it is very detailed with lots of illustrations.
          I'm looking forward to savouring every bit of it.

Comment

Working...
          X