WS Magazine Dec 2009

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scott,

I think the issue has become muddled here. We do not necessarily need a proof reader, certainly not the ones above claiming they could do it. The vexed responses have been caused by the intimation that we do.

An odd mistake got through - as they always do - because of reasons to do with deadlines etc, but essentially standards are very good.

I just felt some comments from some quarters were unjustified, mocking and unfair and, possibly, ill-advised.

Thankfully wisdom came from the keyboard of Coral who brought the debate down to earth. Reminding me that silly comments should be treated as just that!

Editor.
    Hello

Comment

Please give the guys at the WS a break.

Coral[/QUOTE]

The only thing that surprises me about the WS journal is that its quality is so consistently good. I do not know how Adrian and the rest of his team manage to maintain such a high standard.

I have written the odd article for various publications and have even managed to produce an occasional rugby newsletter - I found that hard enough! However, to produce a high quality and extremely interesting and informative journal 6 times a year is a remarkable achievement.

If any of you who frequent these message boards have not yet seen a copy of the WS journal, can I politely suggest that you get hold of a copy and read it. You will enjoy it. The journal is free for members of the Whitechapel Society.

Happy New Year, Chris Jones

Comment

Chris,

Thank you so very much for your kind words of support.

The bad feeling has been caused by posters suggesting we change contributor's articles when they submit them - this is completely untrue - and their general tone of dismissive ridicule towards the Whitechapel Society Journal.

Once again, thank you very much for your support, and to Coral for her comments.

Adrian.
        Hello

Comment

My pleasure Adrian and I thoroughly endorse the words of Chris Jones.

Happy New Year to everyone.

Coral

Comment

OK, that was fun. Now maybe you guys should spend less time patting each other on the back and spend more time proofreading. We all await the next issue.

Comment

Grave Maurice (whoever you are),

If you stop criticising us we might be able to get on with producing our Journal.

I suggest you hitch up your pedantry skirt and tiptoe away along the corridor of churlish embarrassment.

I notice that all the critics on this stream have not drawn attention to the success of our short story competition and the fact that we raised the significant sum of £1,700 for the charity, Children With Leukaemia.

That WAS £1,700 (that was not a proof reading error!)

Editor.
              Hello

Comment

Hi all-

To be honest I love getting my WS88 journal- on occasion I can get up to meetings and on others I cant- Keeps me up to speed (or the closest I get these days!).

Typos!?!- Well to be honest I've been given quite a few books (Coals to Newcastle!) for Christmas and the number of 'errors' are quite staggering!!! (And not remotely amusing- just infuriating!!)

The odd one or two- well to be honest who cares- and the wonderful Rob C one (whether Rob agrees or not- I'm sure he'll ) was - come on a slip of the finger!!! (Better not to go down that road maybe!)

Seriously WELL DONE to the wonderful team from WS88!!!!

Suzi x

(Trouble is- I've lost my last copy somewhere over Xmas and wanted to show hubby the short story winner!- Go on -out of charity- send me another one!!!.....promise to come up twice next year to make it up!!) =^_^= if that's a good offer!

Come on- peoples criticising- £1,700 didn't come out of nowhere!!!!
                Last edited by Suzi; 01-03-2010, 06:24 PM.
                'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

Originally posted by adrian View Post
                  Grave Maurice (whoever you are),

If you stop criticising us we might be able to get on with producing our Journal.

Editor.
                  Er...how precisely does that work? Criticism stops you full in your tracks and prevents you from working at all? Interesting. Most people by the time they reach adulthood are able to move forward even in the face of mild criticism and accept it as part and parcel of life.

Some people even use criticism as a means of improving themselves.

You all made a mistake. Suck it up, accept it, admit it and move on. Why is that so hard for people?

Let all Oz be agreed;
                  I need a better class of flying monkeys.

Comment

Ally, Thanks for agreeing with us.

By all means criticise, but please remember that people must be prepared to do it openly and not hide behind the guise of anonymity. Still, I have answered these critics and they have mostly all gone quiet!!! Probably catching up on old editions of X Factor!!!!

However, with over 1,127 hits in just over a week and a half to this thread, the old Oscar Wilde adage of "no such thing as bad publicity" has proven accurate. We have been getting many emails of support and asking about subscription details.

So I can only thank you all for your support and, dare I say it, criticism.

Best wishes in peace, love and...oh, criticism,

Your esteemed Editor.
                    Hello

Comment

Oh, and while I'm here,

Our subscription details can be found at: www.whitechapelsociety.com

We do six editions of The Journal each year and they are mailed straight to your door...yes, straight to your very door!

We also do six meetings each year. The next meeting will be Saturday 6th February. This will be a Question Time style affair with a panel who can be asked questions and answer these and...um, criticisms if they wish.

It will be fantastic!!!

The Whitechapel Society- Where Legend becomes history...

Editor
                      Hello

Comment

Ally,

Funny that you said; "Suck it up, accept it, admit it and move on. Why is that so hard for people?"

We had our interim meeting last night and I accidentally spilt my pint of Guinness (extra cold) on the table. The bar lady approached me and said: "Suck it up, accept it, admit it and move on."

I remonstrated with her, but she just replied sternly: "Why is that so hard for some people?"

Ally, you're not that self same bar maid in the Aldgate Exchange?

Editor.
                        Hello

Comment

Originally posted by Suzi View Post
                          Hi all-

To be honest I love getting my WS88 journal- on occasion I can get up to meetings and on others I cant- Keeps me up to speed (or the closest I get these days!).

Typos!?!- Well to be honest I've been given quite a few books (Coals to Newcastle!) for Christmas and the number of 'errors' are quite staggering!!! (And not remotely amusing- just infuriating!!)

The odd one or two- well to be honest who cares- and the wonderful Rob C one (whether Rob agrees or not- I'm sure he'll ) was - come on a slip of the finger!!! (Better not to go down that road maybe!)

Seriously WELL DONE to the wonderful team from WS88!!!!

Suzi x

(Trouble is- I've lost my last copy somewhere over Xmas and wanted to show hubby the short story winner!- Go on -out of charity- send me another one!!!.....promise to come up twice next year to make it up!!) =^_^= if that's a good offer!

Come on- peoples criticising- £1,700 didn't come out of nowhere!!!!
                          Suzi (sweetie),

I will make sure you get a free replacement copy!!!!

But you are quite right about the WS1888 Short Story Competition winner. It is very much well worth the read and the top ten entries will be put into an associated publication by the publishers Mythica who are acting on the judging advice of the world famous writer (and WS1888 member, Brian L.Porter who has said, because of the wide ranging success of the WS1888 Short Story Competition the demand for such stories is immense. In fact, he could find no criticism with us!!!

Love Adrian (Editor).
                          Hello

Comment

Cheers Adrian (sweetie) xxx

Suzi (Member/Reader)

Comment

Oh, Just a thought before I go into the musty haze of a critique-laden afternoon.

About the afore mention charity appeal we organised for Children With Leukaemia that raised the sum of £1,700. This is still ongoing.

So if any of you, Grave Maurice, Caz or even Ally wish to make an extra contribution - please do! (We accept dollars!!! (U.S. dollars preferable, there doesn't seem to be much call for Canadian dollars round our way Grave Maurice!!!!)

Editor.
                              Hello

Comment

The cat is empying his slush fund box as I type-

See you Feb 6th with the dosh-et! xxx
                                Last edited by Suzi; 01-03-2010, 10:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X