Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you think William Herbert Wallace was guilty?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
    I think the most suspicious thing Wallace did was claim the door would not unlock to his neighbors. We've only his word that it was so, and as soon as they are there to witness him going in, the door suddenly seems to open all right. Was he wanting witnesses to see him go inside? Just always struck me as weird.
    Hi Pat,

It’s as if he’s trying to give the impression that killer might still be inside which might make the police conclude that the killer escaped by the front door as Wallace entered the back door.
    Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

• Originally posted by AmericanSherlock View Post
      Another point that was made before but bares repeating:

1. If it was a sneak thief, it seems unlikely he showed up with his own weapon

Good point AS. Julia was hardly likely to put up any resistance anyway. He was supposedly prepared for the possibility of being identified and so would have not been ready to use violence.

2. But if he used something from the house and took it with him, then why was Wallace unable to identify anything missing from the house that could have been the murder weapon?
      Wallace would have no reason to lie. And if it was some heavy item used in relation to the fire then he would have been familiar with it.
      With no DNA the killer would only have had to have slipped on a glove and there would have been no need to burden himself with a bloody iron bar as he made his escape.
      Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

• Comments on ‘The Correct Solution.’

The emboldened words are my own, obviously

THE SOLUTION", entirely consistent with the evidence...

I think not.

FACTS
        Parry had a car. Parry had criminal propensities. Moreover, Parry had demonstrated his criminal propensities extended to cars. (the North John Street incident, and others)

At the risk of stating the obvious, a car is a very useful tool for a criminal to have. It enables one to move very quickly from one place to another, and is ideally suited for stalking people. Wallace was a particularly easy target to stalk, with his distinctive height and dress, and probable poor eyesight.
        Parry was intimately acquainted with the Wallaces, the layout of their home and Wallace's business methods around Anfield and Clubmoor. Parry was also intimately acquainted with the City Cafe but not the chess club and the North John St. area.
        Parry may have borne a grudge against Wallace, or the Prudential, or both. Just as Wallace might have had a growing resentment at the thought of spending the rest of his life caring for an increasingly frail old woman who gave every appearance of being old enough to be his mother (because she was old enough.) In any case, he was aware of the criminal opportunities offered at the Wallace home. And when Wallace’s cashbox would have been at its fullest (not a Tuesday evening.)
        Parry was accomplished at amateur dramatics, and could plausibly have disguised his voice. You don’t need to be an actor to disguise your voice.
        Parry seemed to have a large circle of friends, and it's possible some of them had criminal propensities similar to his own (he would later be convicted of car theft, acting with others). And Julia had a very small circle. So who could have developed the sense of anger to inflict 11 brutal blows?
        However, Parry would know (as it transpired, correctly) that the finger of suspicion would automatically point to him if anything untoward occurred at the Wallace house... And who pointed the finger of suspicion...Wallace.

Therefore, how to achieve his goal of robbing Wallace and the Prudential while ensuring his liberty?
        Parry needed a plan, an alibi and an accomplice.... who was accommodating enough to take all of the risks. No problem.

THE PLAN
        Parry had 'cased' the Wallace house on many previous occasions during his visits. He knew exactly where the money was kept in the kitchen and that Tuesday was a poor day for takings. He had witnessed Wallace's methodical, plodding dedication to his job. He knew Wallace might fall for a telephone message (in 1931 ownership of a telephone signified wealth even though the call was made from a box. Why would he assume that it was from a house phone. That was something he had learned during his own time working for the Pru. "A telephone call is a great prospect!" all the boys said...) He further knew of Wallace's well-publicised chess-matches held at the City Cafe He would have seen that he was yet to play his match giving him the possibility that Wallace didn’t attend every session. He had often seen Wallace there, and acknowledged him on the occasions Parry was at the Cafe for his amateur dramatic nights. What better place to leave a spurious telephone message for Wallace? Even though Wallace was in the directory and might reasonably wonder why Qualtrough didn’t contact him personally or via a letter. Is it just a co-incidence that the last time Wallace recalled seeing Parry in the City Cafe was in November 1930, just as the chess championship listing was posted up on the board? He would also have had to have seen the list later to know when Wallace was due to play. The list is hardly clear.

Like most young men with a new car, Parry had travelled far and wide across Liverpool at all hours, exploring its highways and rat-runs. One evening he had wound up in Mossley Hill and, turning his car into Menlove Gardens, he had discovered this triangular affair had no Menlove Gardens East. How curious! he remarked to himself, committing the fact to memory. Just in case at some future point he needs to direct someone to a non-existent address. As you do.

Later, this address came to mind as a location to which Wallace might be lured How could he be sure that Wallace didn’t know the area?. Parry was meticulous in his planning So meticulous that he didn’t think about the 7 very plausible ways that the plan could have failed at the first hurdle. How long might it take for Wallace to get there? Parry spent an evening in his car following trams from Belmont Road to Menlove Avenue. He watched them stop at Smithdown Rd, disgorging passengers, who then boarded another tram on to Penny Lane and Menlove Avenue. Nearly 30 minutes! And the same on the way back, don't forget. A whole hour. Throw in the time it would take for Wallace to walk from/to Wolverton Street, and knowing that pettifogging old Wallace this is just to excuse Wallace continuing to search for an address that he’d been told categorically didn’t exist would not leave Menlove Gardens or Mossley Hill until he had exhausted all possibilities, and that time would rise to about an hour and a half. Tops, say. Plenty of time for someone to screw the Wallace house. But that someone can't be me, for obvious reasons...

Enter Mr."M", another wide-boy in Parry's own mould, perhaps a little older. A little older but a lot stupider. He was willing to take all the risks while Parry remained safely away from the scene. Parry and "M" go through the plan several times, while stalking Wallace around Anfield in the car. There he his! the old bugger! What a lark! To see the look on Wallace's miserable face when he realises he's been had.

THE CRIME
        Monday 19th January, 1931, 7.00pm. Parry and "M" sit in the car at a vantage point where they can see Wallace heading for the tram. Wallace appears at about 7.14pm. Mr "M" exits the car and follows Wallace to the tram stop. Perhaps he even boards the tram and follows Wallace all the way to the chess club, just to be sure. Parry makes the Qualtrough phone-call to the City Cafe at 7.15pm. Parry, who has convictions for robbing phone boxes, cannot resist bamboozling the operator into giving him a free call.It’s also interesting that the voice the phone operators heard appears to have been different to the one that Beattie heard. Who would need to disguise his voice to Beattie but Wallace.The Anfield exchange logs the call. He is nervous, and Beattie's non-committal responses lead Parry into a slip. To impress upon Beattie the urgency of his message Parry dreams-up on the spur of the moment "my girl's 21st" [Parry is expecting a formal invitation to a 21st birthday party for "his girl" and himself from Leslie Williamson.] Coincidence. On hanging up, Parry jumps back in his car and makes the 3-minute drive to Missouri Rd, arriving a little after 7.20pm. Perhaps later that evening Parry travels into Liverpool city centre to rendezvous with "M", or to observe Wallace leaving the chess club a little after 10 pm. In any event they calculate that Wallace has taken the bait, and go through the final preparations for the following night... They might reasonable assume that he’d received the message but not that he’d go along with the plan.

Tuesday 20th January, 1931. Wallace returns to Wolverton Street a little after 6pm. After tea and scones with Julia, Wallace prepares for his journey to Mossley Hill. The newspaper drops on the mat, and a few minutes later, at around 6.40pm Julia takes in the milk from Alan Close. At around 6.45pm Wallace and Julia walk down the back-yard, and Wallace takes his leave, Julia bolting the back-yard gate. Julia commences clearing away the tea things, then sits down to read the Liverpool Echo at 7pm.... The paper could have been left open by Wallace as he waited for Close to go.

She has reached the middle-pages of the paper, when just after 7.15pm she hears a faint rapping on the front-door letterbox. Startled, she rises and approaches the front door.
        "Who's there?" she calls.
        "Is Mr. Wallace there?" a voice replies.
        "Who is it?", Julia repeats.
        "I have an appointment with Mr. Wallace. My name is Qualtrough!"
        Julia opens the door.
        "I'm sorry I'm a little early. I take it Mr. Wallace got my message?" says
        Qualtrough.
        "Yes, but..... I don't understand. I suppose you'd better come in Mr. Qualtrough. There seems to have been a misunderstanding." Julia would surely have wanted an explaination before admitting him?

Julia Wallace shows Qualtrough into the front parlour, and she stoops to light the fire as Qualtrough carries on chatting. "I don't understand it Mrs. Wallace. I was very clear in my message, that I would be coming here tonight at 7.30pm to see your husband on an important insurance matter..." Confused, and a little embarrassed, Julia bids him sit on the chaise-longue. "I'm very sorry, Mr. Qualtrough, but there has obviously been a mix-up. I cannot understand it. How odd? Would you mind waiting until my husband returns? Let me take your coat..." Even if she recognised the name,and we only have Wallace’s word that she would, it’s still not certain that she’d have let him in. She might have said “sorry I’m just on my way out.”
        "Not at all, Mrs. Wallace.." says Qualtrough, as he hands her his coat.
        "Would you like a cup of tea? I don't suppose my husband will be long, once he realises the mistake." Hardly a catastrophe.
        "No thank-you. Indeed, my wife will explain to him what has occurred.", says Qualtrough as he relaxes into the cushions on the chaise-longue... Julia notices Qualtrough is wearing a pair of leather gloves. It must be cold outside, she muses to herself.
        Julia leaves Qualtrough in the parlour, hangs up his coat in the hall and returns to the back kitchen, her mind a whirl. How could William make such a mistake? How awful. Poor Mr. Qualtrough, coming all this way. William will be annoyed with himself when he gets back. But I suppose he's not to blame. It must be that something got garbled on the telephone at the chess club... Wouldnt Julia have thought ‘why would Qualtrough have given Wallace his address if he intended to come to Wolverton Street all along? ‘

Julia, a bit nervous and cold after answering the front door needs to spend a penny. The effects of the previous cups of tea are now working, and in any case Julia suffers from long-term incontinence... She traipses up the stairs to the bathroom.

She cannot hear Qualtrough creep quietly into the vestibule, and slip the bolt on the front door... Entering the middle kitchen, Qualtrough hears the floorboards creak in the bathroom directly above him. He moves straight to the bookshelves to the left of the range. In a flash, he has jumped on a chair, taken down the cash-box and broken its catch. Qualtrough snatches the bank notes and replaces the box. He does not notice in his haste that a few coins have scattered on the floor to the right of the range... Qualtrough hears the chain being pulled above him, and quietly slips out of the kitchen and back into the parlour. ... So Qualtrough can hear floorboards creaking but not a pile of coins falling to the floor?

Julia clumps down the stairs and enters the parlour. "Are you sure you wouldn't like a cup of tea, Mr. Qualtrough?"
        "No thank-you" he replies quietly.
        Julia vaguely notices that Qualtrough has not yet taken-off his gloves....

While pottering around the kitchen and back-kitchen, Julia notices some coins on the floor. An uneasy feeling begins to rise in the pit of Julia's stomach. Where is William? Dear God, let him return soon to deal with this strange man... What was Qualtrough waiting for? He’s now been there for over 30 minutes. Why didn’t he just ask to go to the loo and check for cash upstairs. After all he’s gotten away with the downstairs part?

Julia looks at the clock on the mantelpiece in the kitchen. It is a little past 8pm. Where did William say he was going? Mossley Hill? Julia is not a native of Liverpool, and she does not have an intimate knowledge of its geography. But she has a funny idea Mossley Hill is not far from Calderstones Park, where she and William spent a pleasant afternoon recently. Gulp. That was quite a long way. They were there for several hours. Panic begins to rise in Julia's breast for the first time. He hasn’t hurt her so far. What to do... What to do.... I can't confront him, but I can't stay in this house a moment longer with him! Calm down, Julia! Melodramatic!
        Julia enters the hall, and quietly takes down William's mackintosh from its hook. She detects an aroma of William on it, which gives her a little comfort....An obvious attempt to explain why Julia picked up Williams coat. Did she often go out in his coat?

"Oh, Mrs. Wallace!"
        Julia freezes. "Yyyess?"
        "Would you come here a moment?"
        Julia enters the parlour with the mackintosh over her right arm. His hearing is ok again now. He can hear her take a coat from a rack making him suspicious.
        "Going... somewhere?" asks Qualtrough, nonchalantly eyeing the mackintosh.
        "Why no! Well, yes, I .. I just need to ask the neighbours something. The cat! I think they have my cat!" Julia stammers, her eyes fixed on Qualtrough's still leather-clad hands. I’m beginning to see Qualtrough played by Valentine Dyall.
        Qualtrough sees the fear in her eyes, and rises from the chaise-longue. "Perhaps I'd better go..." Come on! Julia’s chance to be rid of him but she gets him to stay.
        "Yes! No... wait a minute. My husband will be back any moment. I.. I'm going for... just next door for a moment."
        "I can let that happen!" says Qualtrough, grabbing her left arm, and flinging her across the room A dramatic construct to get her from the doorway to the fireplace despite the fact that he could have killed her anywhere.. Julia Wallace falls in a heap, partially over the gas fire, losing her grip on the mac', which immediately catches light. In a panic, Qualtrough snatches the iron bar from next to the fire and batters Julia over the head Just because she’s cottoned on which Qualtrough would have known was always a possibility. "Damn you, you silly cow!" Blood spurts from right to left across the room, and Julia rolls over onto her back near the settee. She is still alive, and moaning Despite Metcalfe believing that the first blow might have killed her. Qualtrough grabs the mac' away from the fire and pats down the flames with his feet. And the reason that the mackintosh ended up beneath Julia is....?He rolls Julia on to her front and administers another 10 blows to the back of her head with the iron bar... This is nonsense. Firstly he’d gone to Wolverton Street knowing that Julia would be able to recognise him. He could have fled. Julia had no phone to call the police. He’d collected a piddling amount of cash which he’d have to share with Parry so why risk the gallows.

Qualtrough runs upstairs and quickly searches around for further valuables. In the middle-bedroom he finds a jar. "Just my luck! Stinking 'Treasury Notes' - about to be phased out, and probably traceable in any case... Leave this crap [Parry, you bloody idiot...]" RC has now changed his mind about this (after it was pointed out as nonsense) Qualtrough never saw this cash. Strange though that approximately the same amount missing from the cashbox appears upstairs. Also that one note has a blood smear which hasn’t transferred to the notes touching it. The blood would have been wet from a thief but possibly dry if there was a gap of time between transferring them from the cashbox to upstairs. Like someone setting the scene for a robbery perhaps?

Qualtrough glances at his watch. Christ! It's nearly twenty-past eight. Time to be going. Better take that iron bar with me... Why? He had gloves on and couldn’t be incriminated by the weapon.
        Qualtrough retrieves his coat from the hall and slips out through the back kitchen. And despite taking no precaution against blood-spatter or cleaning up, Qualtrough leaves no blood anywhere.He pauses at the yard-gate for a moment, listening for any sound, before slipping the bolt and exiting down the alley. He turns right into Redbourn St, down the alley, then crosses Lower Breck Rd, and goes into the darkened recreation ground, his pre-arranged pickup point. It is two minutes since he left number 29 Wolverton Street...

It is a little after 8.20pm. Richard Gordon Parry looks nervously at his watch. "Well, Mrs. Brine, I'd better be getting off to Lily's now. Thanks for the tea..." Parry leaves 43 Knocklaid Rd and jumps in his car, and realises he needs more cigarettes. He has been chain-smoking all evening. It is a 40 second journey from Number 43 Knocklaid Rd to the Post Office on Maiden Lane. Another 30 seconds and Parry is off again, up Maiden Lane. He turns left into Townsend Lane. Parry is beaming. "I wouldn't miss this for the world!", he chuckles. "To see the look on that old fool's face, as he trudges back to Wolverton Street. He'll be getting off his tram anytime now. That'll teach you, Wallace, to poke your nose into my affairs!"
        Parry turns left at the Triangle into Lower Breck Road, and left again into the pitch-black darkness of the recreation ground. The journey from the Post Office has taken a little over three minutes...

"M" emerges from the shadows and slides into the passenger seat. "How did it go?", asks Parry breathlessly, grinning from ear to ear.
        "M" is tense, his face ashen. "Badly..." he tersely replies.
        "How do you mean?" asks Parry.
        "Well, there wasn't much money As Parry would have known, and.... she's not as daft or as doddery as you said she was Again, As Parry would have known... She smelt a rat, and I...I had to give her a 'tap'...", says "M".
        "That's a gutter..." Parry replies, the grin instantly disappearing from his face.
        "Listen Parry..." says "M", "you are in this with me up to your neck. Take me home now and.....Get Rid of These!" "M" pulls out a pair of leather gloves from his pocket, and stuffs them into the glove compartment in front of him. He simultaneously slips an iron bar from his sleeve onto the footwell floor.... Obviously not squeamish then? Quite ok with putting an iron bar up his sleeve covered in Julia’s blood and brains.

Did Qualtrough actually tell Parry that Julia was dead?

Later, in the early hours, Parry slips the bar down the drain outside Dr. Curwen's house on Priory Road, and takes his car for a wash at Atkinsons' Garage... And so the meticulous planner Parry, rather than clean his car himself (he would have had ample time) he proceeds to a garage where he’s mistrusted and unwelcome. He gets a guy who dislikes him to clean his car and then, for absolutely no reason, spills the beans even to the point of telling him where the weapon has been hidden! And he didn’t even commit the murder himself! Amazing!

A week later, having regained a semblance of calm, Parry and "M" return to Atkinsons' together, and intimidate vulnerable John Parkes into silence. No evidence for this of course. And, as it happens, it didn’t work because Parkes tells the police. He hands the solution of the case to them on a plate and they dismiss the news without investigation! Their apparent obsession with Wallace means that they don’t even take an hour or so to look for the weapon! They would rather risk Parkes making Parry’s confession public leaving the police as the ones that sent an innocent man to the gallows!

I think that we can now safely re-title this ‘The Incorrect Solution.’
        Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

• If only there was an alternative Universe where factual inaccuracies, logical fallacies, petty snipes and appeals to imaginary galleries counted for something, you might actually be... somebody.

Life's so unfair, isn't it?.
          Last edited by RodCrosby; 03-16-2018, 06:59 PM.

Comment

• I think the last 2 posts speak for themselves.

1. A well thought out, reasoned deconstruction of a joke of a theory.

2. Insulting reply that doesn't address the valid criticisms

Some form of that has been going for 100s of pages and only when a certain poster is here.

It's really quite boring.

Comment

• Call Timing

A point about the timing of the call.

Wallace stated he left right at 7:15. The call was logged at 7:18. If it was really a stalker who made the call, he must have been watching 29 Wolverton St., seen Wallace leave, head in the opposite direction from the box (since WHW himself claimed that), make sure Wallace was out of sight and that he hadnt been noticed looking suspicious by Wallace, then after collecting himself head back the 400 yards (or more if he had to follow Wallace a bit to make sure he was truly headed the other way) towards the box and make the call. Seems that would be much more likely to take more than the 3 minutes it would take someone to walk 400 yards in 1 direction.

It seems to me the caller was almost certainly Wallace.

Comment

• More disinformation. You are clearly not discussing the Wallace case but another case which only exists in your alternative universe...

The phone box was 125 yards from the correct vantage point from which to observe Wallace.

80 seconds walking time
                15 seconds driving time, more relevantly.

Comment

• Originally posted by RodCrosby View Post
                  More disinformation. You are clearly not discussing the Wallace case but another case which only exists in your alternative universe...

The phone box was 125 yards from the correct vantage point from which to observe Wallace.

80 seconds walking time
                  Yet you are the only person in the history in the history of the universe with your proposed solution?

The vantage point, driving etc. Is all stuff you just added in there and assumed.

I said the callbox was 400 yards from Wallace's house which was correct. Assumptions of a driver from a mysterious vantage point observing Wallace from far away are fantasy and unfounded.

Comment

More disinformation. You are clearly not discussing the Wallace case but another case which only exists in your alternative universe...

80 seconds walking time
                    How did you get 80 seconds walking time? It appears you agree with me that it would take no less than 3 minutes to walk 400 yards...
                    Last edited by AmericanSherlock; 03-16-2018, 07:56 PM.

Comment

• I have employed abductive reasoning to arrive at the Correct Solution.

And it is in accordance with the Facts, unlike the endless disinformation and logical howlers randomly sprayed in response by maladjusted nonentities...

The people that matter have recognised the solution as the "breakthrough theory" that everyone has been grasping for, for 87 years...

The Wallace Case is now solved. The abject nature of the attacks is, of course, conclusive testament to that fact...

Comment

I have employed abductive reasoning to arrive at the Correct Solution.

And it is in accordance with the Facts, unlike the endless disinformation and logical howlers randomly sprayed in response by maladjusted nonentities...

The people that matter have recognised the solution as the "breakthrough theory" that everyone has been grasping for, for 87 years...

The Wallace Case is now solved. The abject nature of the attacks is, of course, conclusive testament to that fact...

Name 1 person. I dare you.

Many theories have been attacked and laughed at so it is not testament at all to anything except how laughable your theory is. More unfounded claims from you.

Comment

I have employed abductive reasoning to arrive at the Correct Solution.

Again Rod, I’m afraid it’s only solved to your satisfaction and that’s simply not good enough. For something to be accepted as true you have to convince others. That’s the way of the world. Creating a scenario which you have now staked everything on is not solving the case.

We could create a scenario where any of the main Ripper suspects commits the crimes but it wouldn’t mean that the case is solved (even if it allegedly fitted the facts). You could go to court, with what you feel is a strong case, but unless you convince the jury it will mean nothing.

I repeat, hopefully for the last time Rod, to be able to say that something is definitely solved you have to convince others of the fact to be taken remotely seriously.

Anger and insults just because you are debated and disagreed with just serve to illustrate the weaknessof your case.
                          Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

If only there was an alternative Universe where factual inaccuracies, logical fallacies, petty snipes and appeals to imaginary galleries counted for something, you might actually be... somebody.

Life's so unfair, isn't it?.
                            I’ll simply say Rod that on this thread there are 3 people ( myself, AS and Caz [i believe that I can add John too even though I believe that he favours Parry as the culprit]) that don’t believe your ‘solution’ for a minute. It doesn’t add up whichever way you look at it. How many people concur with your ‘solution.’

If, as you’ve implied, you wish to write a book you will need to convince someone of its validity.

By the way. You mention an alternative universe?

Just take the time to look back over the thread. I invite anyone to do the same. They will see where the ‘logical fallacies’ and ‘factual inaccuracies’ lie. They will transparently see who plays to ‘imaginary galleries’ with a grandiose ‘I’ve solved it so stop arguing with me’ attitude. And as for ‘petty snipes!!’ they start with you every single time I’m afraid Rod and everyone can see it.

Your replies now bother me less and less. If you wish to try debating and discussing like everyone else (it’s the purpose of this forum by the way) and you stop resorting to petulant, dismissive and insulting posts, I’ll take part along with others. Until then it’s pointless. You believe your ‘solution,’ or rather you’ve nailed your colours to a broken mast I can’t distance yourself from it, and no one agrees. For good reason.
                            Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

• “The people that matter have recognised the solution as the "breakthrough theory" that everyone has been grasping for, for 87 years...”

Just for the rest of us on this thread Rod would you care to name any of these people that matter?
                              Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

• Save up and buy the book....

Comment

Working...
                                X