Abberline's Reason

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here are the actual comments made at the inquiry on September 26:

It has been suggested that the criminal is a lunatic with morbid feelings. This may or may not be the case; but the object of the murderer appears palpably shown by the facts, and it is not necessary to assume lunacy, for it is clear that there is a market for the object of the murder. To show you this, I must mention a fact which at the same time proves the assistance which publicity and the newspaper press afford in the detection of crime. Within a few hours of the issue of the morning papers containing a report of the medical evidence given at the last sitting of the Court, I received a communication from an officer of one of our great medical schools, that they had information which might or might not have a distinct bearing on our inquiry. I attended at the first opportunity, and was told by the sub-curator of the Pathological Museum that some months ago an American had called on him, and asked him to procure a number of specimens of the organ that was missing in the deceased. He stated his willingness to give £20 for each, and explained that his object was to issue an actual specimen with each copy of a publication on which he was then engaged. Although he was told that his wish was impossible to be complied with, he still urged his request. He desired them preserved, not in spirits of wine, the usual medium, but in glycerine, in order to preserve them in a flaccid condition, and he wished them sent to America direct. It is known that this request was repeated to another institution of a similar character. Now, is it not possible that the knowledge of this demand may have incited some abandoned wretch to possess himself of a specimen. It seems beyond belief that such inhuman wickedness could enter into the mind of any man, but unfortunately our criminal annals prove that every crime is possible. I need hardly say that I at once communicated my information to the Detective Department at Scotland- yard. Of course I do not know what use has been made of it, but I believe that publicity may possibly further elucidate this fact, and, therefore, I have not withheld from you my knowledge. By means of the press some further explanation may be forthcoming from America if not from here.

It seems Baxter did report this due to concerns that this just might be the motive behind Jack the Ripper. It certainly supports what you are saying Hunter.

Mike
    The Ripper's Haunts/JtR Suspect Dr. Francis Tumblety (Sunbury Press)
    http://www.michaelLhawley.com

Comment

Baxter also added this:

"Surely, it is not too much even yet to hope that the ingenuity of our detective force will succeed in unearthing this monster. It is not as if there were no clue[s] to the character of the criminal or the cause of his crime. His object is clearly divulged. His anatomical skill carries him out of the category of a common criminal, for his knowledge could only have been obtained by assisting at post-mortems, or by frequenting the post-mortem room.”

And that got him in a world of trouble. Dr. Bennett's scathing letter to the Times was just the beginning of a chain of responses which had the opposite effect than what Wynne Baxter had envisioned. Just when this firestorm was at its height, the 'double event' happened. The responses of all of the medicos involved in the Eddowes murder investigation were a direct result of that controversy.
      Best Wishes,
      Hunter

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888

Comment

Nicely put Hunter. Any thoughts on MacNaghten influencing Abberline's later recollections? Abberline being promoted to chief inspector was on MacNaghten's watch.

Mike
        The Ripper's Haunts/JtR Suspect Dr. Francis Tumblety (Sunbury Press)
        http://www.michaelLhawley.com

Comment

I doubt Macnaghten had much influence on Abberline. In his press interview, Abberline mentions bringing Chapman up to Macnaghten; leaving one to believe that he was unaware of Macnaghten's thoughts or theories.

How much Abberline knew about the continuing investigation is speculative, since he was relieved from that investigation in March of '89. I would think that Abberline's promotion to Chief Inspector would be due to a recommendation by the Commissioner. Being a patronage appointment, with no prior experience with the Met's operations, I wouldn't think Macnaghten would have the influence on promotions that his predecessor 'Dolly' Williamson would have had - who had been a career policeman.
          Best Wishes,
          Hunter

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888

Comment

Originally posted by mklhawley View Post
            Greetings all,

As we know, Abberline's choice of the ripper was Chapman, but it's interesting to see why he suspected him. It was because of the American medical student needing uterus specimens
            Any thoughts?
            Hi Mike

What you have written is not strictly accurate. Abberline said that he had "A score of reasons" to suspect Chapman. Your sentence above appears to imply that obtaining uteri was his only reason.

Sincerely,

Helena
            Helena Wojtczak BSc (Hons) FRHistS.

Author of 'Jack the Ripper at Last? George Chapman, the Southwark Poisoner'. Click this link : - http://www.hastingspress.co.uk/chapman.html

Comment

Working...
            X