Serious issue regarding Business Records from 19th Century

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
    Not only Mitre Square, it seems they also have a connection to Buck's Row, albeit possibly a little later;

"The wholesale price list of January, 1895, refers to the Mitre Square office and the Durward Street warehouse, with 130,000 square feet of floor area, as being by far the largest operated by any similar firm in the United Kingdom. The manufacture of jams, cakes, biscuits, sweets, etc., began at Durward Street in that year."
    Wow that's a big warehouse.
    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
      Wow that's a big warehouse.
      Yes, but it must have had much of the tea of China in it - not to mention from India. You would need plenty of space (I bet the odor inside the warehouse was extremely pleasant).

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Mayerling View Post
        Yes, but it must have had much of the tea of China in it - not to mention from India. You would need plenty of space (I bet the odor inside the warehouse was extremely pleasant).

Jeff
        And all those jam, cakes and sweets would go well.

Is anything known about who their agents were in India.
        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

There's also this thread from 2011, which shows the location and even a picture of the K&T warehouses on Durward Street . It seems they were at the western end, on the northern side. But they don't seem to be on 1880's maps, nor modern ones.

Also discussed on JTRForums;

Comment

There's also this thread from 2011, which shows the location and even a picture of the K&T warehouses on Durward Street . It seems they were at the western end, on the northern side. But they don't seem to be on 1880's maps, nor modern ones.

Also discussed on JTRForums;

http://www.jtrforums.com/showthread.php?t=13459
            I may be wrong, but didn't Pierre say once that we needed to find someone who could be linked with more than one murder site? If I am wrong I put my hands up and apologize.

so here we have a company linking two sites, so is there someone we have missed who is linked to the company ?

steve

Comment

Originally posted by Elamarna View Post
              I may be wrong, but didn't Pierre say once that we needed to find someone who could be linked with more than one murder site? If I am wrong I put my hands up and apologize.

so here we have a company linking two sites, so is there someone we have missed who is linked to the company ?

steve
              Pierre saying it means nothing to me, but anything that's linked to two sites needs looking at closely.
              G U T

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
                Pierre saying it means nothing to me, but anything that's linked to two sites needs looking at closely.
                might be worth seeing if it links in anyway with the remaining sites?

Comment

Originally posted by Elamarna View Post
                  might be worth seeing if it links in anyway with the remaining sites?
                  Agreed
                  G U T

Comment

Hi all

just re read the old threads on these warehouses,

And it was suggested by AP Wolf that there was also a link to 29 Hanbury street, with the manufacture of packing cases , he was proposing Cutbush of course who had worked in the tea trade in a minor role.

Wonder if anyone else had links to Kearly and Tonge in particular, might be an area worth investigating.

steve

Comment

As I suspected, the Kearley and Tonge warehouses in Durward Street weren't there when it was Buck's Row/White's Row at the time of the murders. This 1890 Goad map shows mixed dwellings and commercial premises in the locations taken later by the warehouses (areas marked 3270 and 3272). So it was a bit of a false lead I'm afraid.

Also, I think AP Wolf was taking a bit of a leap (as he admits himself) suggesting the Hanbury St connection, as there's no evidence as to what the packing cases made at No.29 were used for. But if someone is happy to investigate....?

Comment

As I suspected, the Kearley and Tonge warehouses in Durward Street weren't there when it was Buck's Row/White's Row at the time of the murders. This 1890 Goad map shows mixed dwellings and commercial premises in the locations taken later by the warehouses (areas marked 3270 and 3272). So it was a bit of a false lead I'm afraid.

Also, I think AP Wolf was taking a bit of a leap (as he admits himself) suggesting the Hanbury St connection, as there's no evidence as to what the packing cases made at No.29 were used for. But if someone is happy to investigate....?
                        Thank you Joshua,

was worth looking into the possibilities anyway.
                        thats how we advance or dismiss ideas

steve

Comment

Just realised I forgot to post the actual link! Here it is, for what it's worth;

Georeferencer is an online tool that assigns geographical location to any image.

And here is a post ww2 map showing the warehouses;

Comment

joshua

i noticed looking at the thread you posted the link to for 2011, that Rob Clack gives a possible build date starting 1894.

however a couple of posts later he says:

"Thanks for that. It looks as if Kearley & Tonge may have had premises there in 1888, but it doesn't look like they were in the same position as they were in the twenties and thirties. I presume a similar situation occurred with them as occurred with the Brewery in Hanbury Street, in that they knocked down a couple of blocks and built a whole new warehouse."

Unfortunately there is no backup info to this statement, but I suppose it is a possibility, Robert has always been a good researcher, so assume he had a reason for saying that.

steve

Comment

Yes, it would be interesting to know why Rob Clack thought there was an earlier premises. The quote I first posted says they had 130,000 sq ft of warehouse room in 1895, so an 1894 build date sounds very probable. Certainly some time between 1890 and 1895.
                              There is one small warehouse on the Goad map, amongst the houses later demolished for the big warehouses, which is the only thing I can see which might have been K&T, but it's marked as vacant (in 1890).

Comment

hi joshua,

i went and had another look.

there is a apparent 1888 map of bucks row on this site

if you compare it to the 1890 Goad the far end looks the same.
                                However the point opposite the Board school looks very different in each.
                                while I accept this could just be a mistake, It is possible that demolition had occurred between 1888 and the Goad map.

just a thought?

steve

Comment

Working...
                                X