Dressed To Kill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dressed To Kill

Just out of curiousity, how easy was it to obtain a police uniform? I ask firstly about a police uniform cause it occurred to me that one of the policemen (can't remember who now) who was present when the GSG was found had no idea who one of his fellow policeman was. So could it be possible for the murderer to have dressed up as a policeman, that is if he wasn't already one? It would fit if he wanted to blend in and have an excuse to hang around the crime scene, perhaps to enjoy the attention the murder brought.

Originally posted by Natasha View Post
    Just out of curiousity, how easy was it to obtain a police uniform? I ask firstly about a police uniform cause it occurred to me that one of the policemen (can't remember who now) who was present when the GSG was found had no idea who one of his fellow policeman was. So could it be possible for the murderer to have dressed up as a policeman, that is if he wasn't already one? It would fit if he wanted to blend in and have an excuse to hang around the crime scene, perhaps to enjoy the attention the murder brought.
    I guess it depends on how secure your laundry is?
    The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by Natasha View Post
      I think it was PC Long, the man who found the apron and the graffiti.
      I'm guessing the reason he didn't who the other police officer was, was because this was his first time on this particular beat, like he said at the inquest.
      Is it progress when a cannibal uses a fork?
      - Stanislaw Jerzy Lee

Comment

Originally posted by SirJohnFalstaff View Post
        I think it was PC Long, the man who found the apron and the graffiti.
        I'm guessing the reason he didn't who the other police officer was, was because this was his first time on this particular beat, like he said at the inquest.
        Hi Sir John,

The 254A on PC Longs collar number is probably the answer. He was drafted in from "A" Division (Westminster) to help out during the height of the Whitechapel murders.

Comment

Also, although Long didn't know the name of the other officer, he noted his police number I think - 190H. So it should have been possible to identify him from that.

Comment

They did identify him, didn't they? Wasn't 190H PC Willie Bettles, who had joined H Division (Whitechapel) in 1887. He's in the JTR A-Z.(He ended up as a sergeant.)

Didn't most young single policemen live in station houses and do their own washing? I think it would be a pretty brazen sort of thief to venture into a station house yard and swipe a uniform from a line, or a uniform from a married constable's house, come to that. What if you were hanging about a crime scene wearing these and a nearby copper recognised his stolen uniform?
            Last edited by Rosella; 12-07-2015, 04:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rosella View Post
              They did identify him, didn't they? Wasn't 190H PC Willie Bettles, who had joined H Division (Whitechapel) in 1887. He's in the JTR A-Z.(He ended up as a sergeant.)

Didn't most young single policemen live in station houses and do their own washing? I think it would be a pretty brazen sort of thief to venture into a station house yard and swipe a uniform from a line, or a uniform from a married constable's house, come to that. What if you were hanging about a crime scene wearing these and a nearby copper recognised his stolen uniform?
              But Jack was pretty brazen, don't you think?
              G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

That's as may be, but wouldn't his colleagues have noticed if one policeman had turned up for work wearing nothing but his underwear?

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
                  That's as may be, but wouldn't his colleagues have noticed if one policeman had turned up for work wearing nothing but his underwear?
                  Maybe, maybe not.
                  G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Vice squad?
                    Is it progress when a cannibal uses a fork?
                    - Stanislaw Jerzy Lee

Comment

Working...
                    X