No announcement yet.

Ripperologist 146 - October 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hutchinson came forward very soon after the public airing of Sarah Lewis's sighting of the "loiterer", indicating that he may have recognised himself as the loiterer and fabricated an account with the intention of superficially legitimising his "loitering" presense. It would indeed have been a case of "cart before the horse", but as criminologist John Douglas points out:

"...some killers — the more organized or premeditated type — sometimes even inject themselves into the police investigation to provide bogus information. They do it for different reasons. They may want to find out where the investigation is headed or look for cues that it’s progressing along nicely because, naturally, they’re concerned about that.

They may go to the police in order to beat them to the punch, just in case someone may have seen them or provided a description of their car. This way, if their names pop up later, they can come back and say, “Oh, wait a minute, I went to you guys a month ago. I was cooperative.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben View Post
      Hutchinson came forward very soon after the public airing of Sarah Lewis's sighting of the "loiterer", indicating that he may have recognised himself as the loiterer and fabricated an account with the intention of superficially legitimising his "loitering" presense. It would indeed have been a case of "cart before the horse", but as criminologist John Douglas points out:

"...some killers — the more organized or premeditated type — sometimes even inject themselves into the police investigation to provide bogus information. They do it for different reasons. They may want to find out where the investigation is headed or look for cues that it’s progressing along nicely because, naturally, they’re concerned about that.

They may go to the police in order to beat them to the punch, just in case someone may have seen them or provided a description of their car. This way, if their names pop up later, they can come back and say, “Oh, wait a minute, I went to you guys a month ago. I was cooperative.”
      and there you have it. Thanks for posting it Ben!
      "Is all that we see or seem
      but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
      quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

• Hutchinson came forward very soon after the public airing of Sarah Lewis's sighting of the "loiterer", indicating that he may have recognised himself as the loiterer and fabricated an account with the intention of superficially legitimising his "loitering" presense
        No doubt.

No Astrakhan Man either.

Aw Snap! There goes Isaacs' [cough] claim to fame.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben View Post
          Garry reasoned along the same lines in his ebook, Semplar, which you might find of interest:

http://www.casebook.org/ripper_media...wroe_full.html
          That was what I was thinking that he might of been spooked. Hutchinson coming forward if he was or wasn't the killer doesn't make much sense on the face of it but there might have been contributing factors that we just do not know of..

Comment

• OUT TOMORROW: YOUR FREE RIPPEROLOGIST MAGAZINE!
            If you don't already subscribe for this digital magazine, just send an email to contact@ripperologist.biz to be added to the mailing list!

Ripperologist 146: October 2015
            ----------------------------------------------

Contents include:

EDITORIAL: ‘UNFORTUNATES’ AND BĘTES NOIRS
            by Christopher T George

TERROR AUSTRALIS: WHATEVER HAPPENED TO
            GEORGE HUTCHINSON?
            by Stephen Senise

AN UNGOVERNED PASSION:
            JOURNALISTIC CONSTRUCTIONS OF MARY PEARCEY
            AND THE HAMPSTEAD TRAGEDY
            by Sarah Beth Hopton

THE PICK-UP SHTICK
            by Scott Nelson and Walter Mosley

THE HOUND OF DEATH: FRANCIS THOMPSON
            AND THE WHITECHAPEL MURDERS
            by Richard Patterson

DEATH IN THE COLLIERY
            by Paul Williams

FROM THE CASEBOOKS OF A MURDER HOUSE DETECTIVE
            by Jan Bondeson

A FATAL AFFINITY: CHAPTER FOUR
            Nina and Howard Brown

VICTORIAN FICTION:
            THE THRONE OF THE THOUSAND TERRORS
            by William Le Queux

REVIEWS They All Love Jack and more!
            Attached Files

Comment

• Hutchinson?

A George Hutchinson was aquitted on 16th June 1873 in Clerkenwell for Larceny from a ship and receiving. Cant seem to find anything more on this...

Pat......

Comment

• re: THE PICK-UP SHTICK

I really liked this line of thought.

My only problem, with setting a rendez-vous is the double-event, or even if Stride is not considered a victim, the Eddowes murder.

To give her a rdv in Mitre Square (or around) doesn't make sense. Especially since she was just recently back to London, and spent the evening drunk in a police station.

It does work well with Stride, though.
                Is it progress when a cannibal uses a fork?
                - Stanislaw Jerzy Lee

Comment

• Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                  A George Hutchinson was aquitted on 16th June 1873 in Clerkenwell for Larceny from a ship and receiving. Cant seem to find anything more on this...

Pat......
                  Hi Pat
                  Which would make Aussie George about 12/13 years old at the time. Interesting. Does it mention age in your source? or does the young age of Aussie George at the time rule him out?
                  "Is all that we see or seem
                  but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
                  quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Working...
                  X