Did a serial killer go unrecognized?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did a serial killer go unrecognized?

Three unsolved English murders from 1930-1949 seem to have some uncanny commonalities. They were Margery Wren, 82, in 1930 - Emily Armstrong, 69, during 1949 - Gertrude O'Leary, 66, also 1949. All were older single women who ran a business alone. They were all beaten with a blunt object on the premises of their shops.

At the time, there was some speculation that the latter two might be connected but it was eventually dismissed.

Could they have been the work of the same person?

More to add-
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

I expect that the primary argument against would be the 19 year gap but that could possibly be explained by a stint in prison for a less serious crime or the military.

That said, there have been longer gaps, such as Donald Merritt who took 28 years off.

As well, perhaps there was no lull. Can anyone think of a possible case(s) that would fall in the middle years?

Stan Reid

Comment

World War II intervenes 1939-45, so it's very likely if there was a common killer that he was abroad serving in the forces.

It's a crime however which is probably quite easily replicated - old lady is victim of a robbery and attempts to confront or deny the robber, who lifts the nearest blunt instrument and does her in.

Similarly, it's a crime - shop burglery - which a robber might get away with a few times, then get banged up for.

I doubt we will ever know who perpetrated these murders
      Do you have any more details which might link them? - location, instrument etc

Comment

Wren in Ramsgate with fire tongs
        O'Leary in Bristol with beer flagon
        Armstrong in London with claw hammer it is conjectured because weapon not found

All the victims were in southern England within 90 miles of Windsor.

Stan Reid

Comment

Found some info on the Times Archive regarding the cases, in this instance Wren. Obviously, it may not be fully accurate due to the nature of the source.

Ramsgate Shop Murder Inquest Evidence, Miss Wren's Efforts To Shield Culprit (Law)
          The Times Wednesday, Oct 15, 1930

The article claims she made contrasting statements regarding the killer. She claims he was "red-faced", "a big man", with a moustache but on others she mentioned he had no moustache. In one instance she claimed there was another man at the door who beckoned him to go away.

A Dr. Archibald mentions he had three addresses of whom he believed to be the perpetrator(s) of the crime, two of whom Miss Wren had mentioned. The coroner believed that she was covering up for the killer and that she was a "cunning old woman" who really knew who attacked her.

Will post the article:

Mostfoul

Comment

Thanks! That pretty much matches other accounts which means it is true or that there is a common source. I suppose it's possible that Miss Wren was just talking out of her head and wasn't protecting anyone. Wonder if Ellen Marvel might still be alive. She would be 91.

Stan Reid

Comment

Hi Stan,

The only account I ever saw about the murder of Miss Wren was in Browne & Tullett's biography of Sir Bernard Spilsbury. My copy of THE SCALPEL OF SCOTLAND YARD (New York: E.P. Dutton, 1952) has the story on pages 274-276. Apparently Mrs. Wren did know the perpetrator, and at one point explained, "I don't wish him to suffer. He must bear his sins..." She must have been an intensely religious woman. There were also six possible suspects whose names were never released.

Jeff

Comment

I believe she'd been hanged before the last two murders but I wonder if anyone has checked on the whereabouts of Margaret Allen at the time of Miss Wren's slaying. Margaret had proven that she had a penchant to beat random elderly women to death with whatever tool was handy. It might even explain why Wren was reluctant to name her attacker. Perhaps she was covering a forbidden love affair.

Stan Reid

Comment

It only narrows the lull by one year, she wasn't single and it was in Northern England but, going way out on a limb, I guess Julia Wallace would be worth at least a look.

Although her age was given as 48, if I recall, some recent discoveries have indicated that it might be more like 25 years older than that. She wasn't exactly a businesswoman either but I believe she did give piano lessons in her home so that would be something of the sort. It was also indicated that she was beaten to death with a handy instrument although it was never found and therefore that can't be definitely known. A stretch I know but at least some matches.

Stan Reid

Comment

Hi Jeff,

There's also a section about Wren in The Mammoth Book of Unsolved Crimes written by Douglas G. Browne and E. V. Tullett. Another account is in Chronicle of 20th Century Murder by Brian Lane. In addition, there is also a brief entry about the case in Martin Fido's The Chronicle of Crime.
                    Last edited by sdreid; 05-23-2009, 03:05 AM.

Stan Reid

Comment

Just as far out on the limb and also in 1931 another woman was killed in the north. This was Evelyn Foster who was a single business woman who worked alone. Evelyn was, however, a young woman and she was burned rather than beaten.

Stan Reid

Comment

And back in London, does anyone know anything about the murder of Dorothy Wallis? She was a 36-year-old spinster who ran an employment agency and was found beaten to death in her business. I believe it was in the late 40s like maybe 1946. To my knowledge, the murder was never solved, am I correct? Supposedly an unknown man had answered the phone when a call was made to the office the evening before and the suspicion is that this person was the killer.

Stan Reid

Comment

Originally posted by sdreid View Post
                          It only narrows the lull by one year, she wasn't single and it was in Northern England but, going way out on a limb, I guess Julia Wallace would be worth at least a look.

I don't remember who but someone was also trying to tie the Wallace murder to that of Caroline Luard in 1908. More that likely though, I think William Wallace probably did it.

Stan Reid

Comment

Originally posted by Sara View Post
                            World War II intervenes 1939-45, so it's very likely if there was a common killer that he was abroad serving in the forces.
                            Yes Sara, that is something to be considered.

Stan Reid

Comment

Was the Coal Man Reuben Beer a suspect? He would have been one of the last to admit seeing her before the attack

Comment

Working...
                              X