Wiki: Jack the Ripper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by John Bennett View Post
    The main sources I have been using (as I consider my entries as skeletons at the mo) are:

A-Z
    JTR Sourcebook (for inquest and press material)
    Sugden
    Begg's The Facts (essentially the enlightening footnotes)
    Shelden's victims book
    Survey of London 27
    Maps
    My own research on the history of East End streets.
    Oh, a terrible omission - Chris Scott's 'Cast of Thousands' too. And various casebook essays.

Comment

Could I sound out opinion on the best way of approaching the correction of errors?

One small thing that caught my eye on the Stride page was that Israel Schwartz's sighting was timed at "12:40 AM (approximately)". I think the time should be 12.45, but perhaps there's some reason for 12.40 I don't know about, so maybe it would be a good idea to discuss it rather than just changing it. Where is the best place for that - the wiki's own discussion section, or the Casebook forum? If the former, is there a danger that two parallel discussion forums will develop?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
        Could I sound out opinion on the best way of approaching the correction of errors? Where is the best place for that - the wiki's own discussion section, or the Casebook forum? If the former, is there a danger that two parallel discussion forums will develop?
        Hi Chris -

The wiki provides a "Talk" tab at the top of every page, that's generally the place where wiki-specific discussions for that page (what should be included, A or B, what do you think of ???, etc.) should take place.

Originally posted by Magpie View Post
        This is probably a silly question, but how does one edit the "wanted" page?
        Hi Magpie -

The Wanted Page is automatically generated. When you "wikify" a page (i.e. you create links on all the names/places/keywords that should have their own pages), the system will automatically read those links and will add any of them which don't yet have a page associated with them to the "Wanted Page."

Cheers!

Comment

What a wonderful project! I come here often to learn from those who know. There are so many people who can contribute from years of study. To cooperate on a central body of knowledge is a gift to all of us.
          Joan

I ain't no student of ancient culture. Before I talk, I should read a book. -- The B52s

Comment

I wrote the initial William Bury article on Wikipedia some time back, but if anyone wants to steam in and edit it - feel free.

John

Comment

Just a quick note to all wiki editors - I've installed tonight the "Cite" extension, thanks to a recommendation by Chris. This allows the inclusion of citations/footnotes within any wiki article.

If you want to get an idea of how to do citation formatting, you can see the one Chris has set up at:

Cheers

- Stephen

Comment

Originally posted by spryder View Post
                Just a quick note to all wiki editors - I've installed tonight the "Cite" extension, thanks to a recommendation by Chris. This allows the inclusion of citations/footnotes within any wiki article.

If you want to get an idea of how to do citation formatting, you can see the one Chris has set up at:

http://wiki.casebook.org/index.php/Harry_Harris
                Thanks. I'm glad it wasn't me.

The formatting is actually very simple - the hardest part was finding the instructions in the help pages, which are here:

Comment

Originally posted by spryder View Post
                  Thanks Stephen and Chris,

it seems to be working now. Unfortunately, I guess I have to go back over the entries I made and try to remember where the sources came from!

Large black coffee and a pro-plus please.....

Comment

Thanks Stephen and Chris,

it seems to be working now. Unfortunately, I guess I have to go back over the entries I made and try to remember where the sources came from!

Large black coffee and a pro-plus please.....
                    Know what you mean....half of it has been collected and stored in my head for a period of 24 years.

I need a Vulcan mind melt !!

Monty

PS I shall go over my entries at the weekend and cite the sources, when I have time...if thats ok.
                    Last edited by Monty; 11-21-2008, 11:05 AM.
                    Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

I'm afraid my contributions, such as they are, are going to be done at a snail's pace.

Comment

Putting the references in makes a big difference, I must say.

Like Monty says, most of my locations stuff has been embedded in my brain for over 20 years, so it's not always easy to 'come up with the proof', as they say.

But it will come. This project is real grower.

MORE CONTRIBUTORS WANTED!! Sensible ones, mind

Comment

Putting the references in makes a big difference, I must say.

Like Monty says, most of my locations stuff has been embedded in my brain for over 20 years, so it's not always easy to 'come up with the proof', as they say.

But it will come. This project is real grower.

MORE CONTRIBUTORS WANTED!! Sensible ones, mind
                          I must say my initial misgivings have evaporated (unless there is a sudden influx of "wiki-vandals"), and I think the project will be very useful indeed. I shall continue to decant some of my notes into the wiki format (slowly).

I wonder if some potential contributors are put off by the technicalities of editing the pages. If so, I'm sure help and advice will be forthcoming. And once you're used to it, it's really not much more difficult than formatting posts on the message boards.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                            I must say my initial misgivings have evaporated (unless there is a sudden influx of "wiki-vandals"), and I think the project will be very useful indeed. I shall continue to decant some of my notes into the wiki format (slowly).

I wonder if some potential contributors are put off by the technicalities of editing the pages. If so, I'm sure help and advice will be forthcoming. And once you're used to it, it's really not much more difficult than formatting posts on the message boards.
                            Infact, it becomes addictive and, in a sense, educational.

Well, thats what Ive found.

Monty
                            Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

WIKI: JACK THE RIPPER PROGRESS UPDATE

My A-Z has just fallen to pieces.

It was only 17 years old...
                              Last edited by John Bennett; 12-09-2008, 12:24 AM.

Comment

WIKI: JACK THE RIPPER PROGRESS UPDATE

My A-Z has just fallen to pieces.
                                I've noticed you've been doing a sterling job writing new pages, and I'm sorry I haven't had time to contribute much myself.

It would be great if things got to the point where we could start to have arguments about content. I am toying with the idea of adding a Maybrick section (just kidding).

I think you are decreasing your chances of ever being able to buy a new A-Z, though ...

Comment

Working...
                                X