No announcement yet.

Save Dorset Street

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is now a petition about this organised by a local resident which can be signed here:

http://gh.cm/wGYwdG

They are looking for people with London addresses.

Comment

A passageway named Mary Kelly Way is tacky in my personal opinion. I cant think of many other examples of murder victims having their places of murder named after them. And why no suggestions of "Kitty Ronan Lane?"

Comment

Originally posted by jason_c View Post
        A passageway named Mary Kelly Way is tacky in my personal opinion. I cant think of many other examples of murder victims having their places of murder named after them. And why no suggestions of "Kitty Ronan Lane?"
        Well I would submit that it might be a nice way to remember a victim when the argument is often made that Ripperology and the tours are a celebration of a serial killer.

You say, "I cant think of many other examples of murder victims having their places of murder named after them."

Well, my friend, there is an example right in front of your very nose.

The park where stood the bombed-out church of St. Mary Matfelon, the original "White Chapel" that gave the area its name, "was renamed to 'Altab Ali Park' in memory of a Bangladeshi clothing worker who was the victim of a racially motivated murder on 4 May 1978, and of other victims of racist attacks during the 1970s." Wikipedia

Best regards

Chris
        Last edited by ChrisGeorge; 02-21-2012, 08:17 PM.
        Christopher T. George
        Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
        just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
        For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
        RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
          Well I would submit that it might be a nice way to remember a victim when the argument is often made that Ripperology and the tours are a celebration of a serial killer.

You say, "I cant think of many other examples of murder victims having their places of murder named after them."

Well, my friend, there is an example right in front of your very nose.

The park where stood the bombed-out church of St. Mary Matfelon, the original "White Chapel" that gave the area its name, "was renamed to 'Altab Ali Park ' in memory of a Bangladeshi clothing worker who was the victim of a racially motivated murder on 4 May 1978, and of other victims of racist attacks during the 1970s." Wikipedia

Best regards

Chris
          I stay nowhere near Whitechapel so Altab Ali Park is hardly under my very nose. It sounds like Altab Ali Park was a politically motivated naming decision. This same motivation will not be behind any decision to rename a street after Mary Kelly. I cant think of too many serial murder victims having streets named after them.

And again, why no "Kitty Ronan Way"?

Comment

Saving Dorset Street

- IT'S ON THE AGENDA AGAIN -
            ON-LINE PETITION TO SAVE
            LONDON FRUIT & WOOL EXCHANGE, BRUSHFIELD STREET
            You might remember that we reported that the area around what was once Dorset Street was under threat from developers who wanted to build on the site against the wishes and needs of local people and businesses. Although it is fully agreed that parts of the site such as the Whites Row multi-storey carpark are far from perfect the site does have qualities that need preserving such as theLondon Fruit & Wool Exchange building in Brushfield Street.
            Thanks to your objections lodged before Christmas the original plans were put aside...but only to reappear again in an altered form. The new proposal states: "Demolition of Whites Row multi-storey car park, 99-101 Commercial Street (The Bank), 54 Brushfield Street (The Gun public house), and partial demolition of the London Fruit & Wool Exchange behinf the retained Brushfield Street facarde and the erection of six storey building with a basement, for business, employment and retail use (Use Classes B1/A1/A2/A3 & A4) with landscaping and associated works together with a new pavilion building for retail accommodation (Use Class A1)"
            Despite the claims to improve the area local residents and businesses have not been consulted and a meeting of the Stategic Development Committee of Tower Hamlets council will be held on Tuesday 6th March to discuss this development.
            We therefore ask you to sign the on-line petition by clicking the link below:
            PETITION AGAINST EXEMPLAR'S PLANS FOR THE FRUIT AND WOOL EXCHANGE, ERADICATION OF HISTORIC DORSET STREET, DEMOLITION OF THE GUN PUB and BARCLAYS BANK.

THE PETITION NEEDS TO BE SIGNED VERY URGENTLY....LIKE NOW!
            Whilst signing the petition why not leave a comment like the historian and broadcaster DAN CRUICKSHANK did:
            "To save the special architectural, historic, social and economic character of Spitalfields which this monolithic office scheme theatens"
            To see what is trying to be saved visit the SPITALFIELDS LIFE link below which has interesting pictures of the site:
            Hello

Comment

LESS THAN FORTY EIGHT HOURS TO SAVE THE FRUIT AND WOOL EXCHANGE and DORSET
              STREET

Tower Hamlets Planning Office have decided that this coming TUESDAY, the 28that 5pm is the deadline for objections to be submitted against Exemplar's plans
              to demolish the Fruit and Wool Exchange. If you haven't done so yet, please
              write to object. The proposed replacement building isn't cutting edge modern
              architecture. It's large, ugly, and dated. 'Blocky' in the words of its own
              architect.

We believe it's;
              - wrong to demolish the Portland stone Fruit and Wool building
              - wrong to build such an ugly new building opposite Hawksmoor's Christ Church on Commercial Street
              - wrong to eradicate from the map Dorset Street, once home to Georgian silk
              weavers and Wedgewood's first London showroom
              - wrong to open a large new restaurant facing residential Crispin Lane and
              White's Row (rather than on a revitalised Dorset Street)

We want to see;
              - a mixed use development with homes
              - retail space at ground floor level throughout
              - the retention of Dorset Street
              - high quality architecture for Commercial Street facing Christ Church.

If you agree please URGENTLY E MAIL
              Pete.Smith@towerhamlets.gov.uk

Individually worded e mails are always best. Or you can add your name to our
              petition (see below). Or do both.

PETITION AGAINST EXEMPLAR'S PLANS FOR THE FRUIT AND WOOL EXCHANGE, ERADICATION OF HISTORIC DORSET STREET, DEMOLITION OF THE GUN PUB and BARCLAYS BANK.

Thank you.
              The Spitalfields Community Group.
              Hello

Comment

save Dorset street

Has anyone had the thought to get in touch with the guys that put together the ( Time Team ) TV show with Tony Robinson , with the idea of maybe excavating part of the old street , and Millers court , during or before any building work goes ahead. i know its pretty much recent history , but i think its as equally important to the history of London , and maybe even some great photo's of what was thought to be lost forever . just a thought .

Comment

Hi All,

The quicker all access to any vague remnants of Millers Court is eradicated and replaced with buildings/amenities better suited to the health, well-being, equality and prosperity of the area, the better.

Or is there more in the game-plan? Like renaming the Henriques Street School the "Elizabeth Stride Primary"? Or twinning Whitechapel with Milwaukee?

Jack the Ripper is dead.

Get over it.

Regards,

Simon
                  Last edited by Simon Wood; 03-06-2012, 12:30 AM.
                  Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
                    Hi All,

The quicker all access to any vague remnants of Millers Court is eradicated and replaced with buildings/amenities better suited to the health, well-being, equality and prosperity of the area, the better.

Or is there more in the game-plan? Like renaming the Henriques Street School the "Elizabeth Stride Primary"? Or twinning Whitechapel with Milwaukee?

Jack the Ripper is dead.

Get over it.

Regards,

Simon

Simon, I don't see where the preservation of the Fruit and Wool Exchange is being argued because of the connection Dorset Street has with Jack the Ripper, or, indeed, even because the existing building is itself worth preserving. It was argued that the proposed new building isn't in keeping with the area, doesn't approach being an improvement on the Exchange, and doesn't satisfy community needs. Whilst the area is admittedly a typical inner-city architectural hotch-potch, but the immediate proximity of the Exchange Buildings to Christ Church at one end, the preserved Refuge facade at the other, Fournier Street, the Market, and so on, creates a very strong argument for a considered and sympathetic replacement.

"Moonbeggar", it would be hoped that the same people who conducted the wonderful and exciting excavations on the Market site opposite would similarly look into the archaeological aspects, especially as Dorset Street is important as one of the earliest streets constructed over Lolesworth.

Comment

There you go Simon,

With all that assuming again.

The exchange is, in my opinion, a wonderful building. Certainly iconic, and part of the heritage of the area.

Dorset St no longer exists, hasn't done for years, so I can understand why Simon has been misled, however the title is noty important.

Monty
                      Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

In fact, if anyone is interested the Exchange features on the brilliant Spitalfields Life site and there are many photographs of the interior and exterior. http://spitalfieldslife.com/ And get the book by "The Gentle Author" too. It's excellent. Really. Some of the best writing around and, of course, an endlessly fascinating subject - indeed, "The Gentle Author" shows it to be more endlessly that one imagines.
                        Last edited by PaulB; 03-06-2012, 02:36 PM.

Comment

Great link, Paul.

"Jack the Ripper is dead." Why am I always the last to be told??? We'll never catch him now.

Comment

For the curious, outraged or the philistine's (Simon Wood) amongst you, the real reason the local people are trying to save this part of the East End is because the new development is not responsive to local people's needs. Jack the Ripper doesn't even come into it.

Read the initial posts again if you are still confused.

In the meantime, here is a short film made by those representing local people.
                            http://www.facebook.com/pages/Save-The-London-Fruit-and-Wool-Exchange-1929/383535838324130? Exemplar Properties LLC have applied to Tower Hamlets Council to...

ADRIAN
                            (Editor: Whitechapel Society Journal)
                            Hello

Comment

More info can be got from the campaign's Facebook page which has details of other historic locations in the East End under threat....but no mention of Jack the Ripper!

Their Facebook page:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Save-T...8324130?ref=ts

ADRIAN.
                              Hello

Comment

If Mr Wood still thinks the campaign to save the Old Fruit & Wool Exchange in Spitalfields is only a Ripper thing, he might want to read this:

ADRIAN
                                (Editor: Whitechapel Society Journal)
                                Hello

Comment

Working...
                                X