A problem with the "Eddowes Shawl" DNA match

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by RockySullivan View Post
    I think the differences is many ripper authors are respected for their research and info they've uncovered while Cornwall & Edwards hardly research at all, but rather try to misrepresent science in a way stupid people will believe. There's nothing to respect about that.
    Rocky,

I have read both books and although I cannot support their conclusions, I cannot say they were not researched. Indeed, I think arranging for the testing of DNA is research.

Richard

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris View Post
      Without wishing to be priggish, I think there some of us who would prefer it to be a question of historical scholarship rather than either a puzzle or a parlour game.

And I don't think the debate has been elevated at all by this DNA analysis.
      Chris,

Perhaps I worded my contention poorly.

It is my contention that if the goal is to try to solve this case, we will never do so by the methods authors have used for years basing theories on trying to psychologically profile suspects and then determine if their specific whereabouts were unknown at the time of the murders.

If the case is ever to be solved, it will likely be with science. And so introducing DNA into Ripper research, in my view, is a good thing not a bad one. Even if the early efforts are clumsy and unsuccessful.

Richard

Comment

• Originally posted by Richard Dewar View Post
        Chris,

Perhaps I worded my contention poorly.

It is my contention that if the goal is to try to solve this case, we will never do so by the methods authors have used for years basing theories on trying to psychologically profile suspects and then determine if their specific whereabouts were unknown at the time of the murders.

If the case is ever to be solved, it will likely be with science. And so introducing DNA into Ripper research, in my view, is a good thing not a bad one. Even if the early efforts are clumsy and unsuccessful.

Richard
        I can't disagree with that view, however, more research should perhaps have gone into validating the back story to this shawl. It didn't take long for me to find Pc Amos Simpson on the 1881 and 1891 census's, and not much longer to discover his children's baptisms at Cheshunt Herts, in 1885, three full years before the Ripper struck in Mitre Square. At the same time as I found that, with nothing more than a subscription to Ancestry, others were verifying police records which proved he was stationed at Cheshunt. Without the back story, everything else falls apart.

Comment

• Originally posted by Panderoona View Post
          I can't disagree with that view, however, more research should perhaps have gone into validating the back story to this shawl. It didn't take long for me to find Pc Amos Simpson on the 1881 and 1891 census's, and not much longer to discover his children's baptisms at Cheshunt Herts, in 1885, three full years before the Ripper struck in Mitre Square. At the same time as I found that, with nothing more than a subscription to Ancestry, others were verifying police records which proved he was stationed at Cheshunt. Without the back story, everything else falls apart.
          Panderoona,

I agree with your conclusions. The problem with many theorists is that they are so anxious to prove their point, they don't look carefully at evidence that contradicts their findings. Or, even worse, the theorist will make rationalizations.

Had the initial contentions about the shawl been true - DNA match to the degree contended - this would have represented a significant finding. But with the science now in question, the deficiencies in the backstory of the shawl are even more significant.

Comment

• Originally posted by Peter Griffith aka gryff View Post
            If I am remembering correctly, 3 DNA searchable databases have been mentioned on this thread two of which correct for the entry of 314.1c and one that does not (and returns "global private variation").

I have a link to EMPOP database, would anyone have a links to the other two?
            There is the GenBank database, where the match with a sequence belonging to haplogroup T1a1 was apparently found:

And there's HaploGrep, which is not quite a database but a web application that produces suggested haplogroups based on differences from the reference sequence:

HaploGrep works on information from the classification scheme at PhyloTree:

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris View Post
              There is the GenBank database, where the match with a sequence belonging to haplogroup T1a1 was apparently found:

And there's HaploGrep, which is not quite a database but a web application that produces suggested haplogroups based on differences from the reference sequence:

HaploGrep works on information from the classification scheme at PhyloTree:
              http://www.phylotree.org/
              Thanks Chris

And here is another comment/blog on the RE book from

Jack the Ripper: The Ripping Yarn Goes On and On…

By Mark Wells, Lecturer-Broadcast/Multimedia Journalism at the University of East Anglia.

Unfortunately not a very in depth review. A lot about past theories with discussion of Edwards book confined to the last few paragraphs.

cheers, gryff
              Last edited by Peter Griffith aka gryff; 10-29-2014, 08:40 PM.

Comment

• Update

I've updated my :

A DNA Mystery

to include animations

Now just click on each of the "create" buttons (on left) to make the 314.1c or 315.1c from the CRS.

There is no click on the "?" anymore, but you have the same mouse options:

Left Mouse and Drag - rotates. You can also use the arrow keys.
                Scroll Wheel - zoom in and out
                Same OS and video card criteria:

A computer from last few of years with decent video card.

Windows 7 + : You can use IE11, Chrome, Firefox
                Windows XP: Chrome, Firefox
                Recent Mac OS: Chrome, Firefox
                And finally, as I write this I have no "Edit" button to edit my past posts - a forum glitch or is that only for current posts in the current login session?

cheers, gryff
                Last edited by Peter Griffith aka gryff; 10-29-2014, 09:59 PM.

Comment

• There's a time limit on editing Gryff.

I can't view it I'll have to borrow a newer computer.
                  G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Originally posted by GUT View Post
                    There's a time limit on editing Gryff.

I can't view it I'll have to borrow a newer computer.
                    Do you know what you have GUT? Are you using a laptop? They can be a pain as they may use old Intel graphics

It is done with HTML5 and WebGL - so your web browser must support them.

Try to find a friend with more up-to-date graphics

cheers, gryff
                    Last edited by Peter Griffith aka gryff; 10-29-2014, 10:31 PM.

Comment

Do you know what you have GUT? Are you using a laptop? They can be a pain as they may use old Intel graphics

It is done with HTML5 and WebGL

Try to find a friend with more up-to-date graphics

cheers, gryff
                      Yeah mate she's a pretty old laptop, I bought one of those Toughbooks a few years ago and you can't kill it, I keep looking at new ones but I'm to tight to buy a new one.
                      G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

And here is another comment/blog on the RE book from

Jack the Ripper: The Ripping Yarn Goes On and On…

By Mark Wells, Lecturer-Broadcast/Multimedia Journalism at the University of East Anglia.

Unfortunately not a very in depth review. A lot about past theories with discussion of Edwards book confined to the last few paragraphs.
                        Thanks for this. Isn't it strange that he missed the correction of the 314.1C error, seeing that any sensible Google News Search on the story brings up multiple references to it? Good for Dusty Miller.

Comment

• Just an unrelated note... I think someone earlier posted some sales figures for Russell's book. I do not have access to that info, but if whoever posted that could look up sales figures for my book, I'd be very interested. I have no idea whatsoever how many copies have sold.

Rob H

Comment

• Originally posted by robhouse View Post
                            Just an unrelated note... I think someone earlier posted some sales figures for Russell's book. I do not have access to that info, but if whoever posted that could look up sales figures for my book, I'd be very interested. I have no idea whatsoever how many copies have sold.

Rob H
                            I posted some sales rankings for Amazon only. They only cover this month and last, which was okay for RE's book. Normally the actual number sold is not shown, although in his case it was for UK, Germany, and Canada, but only for ebooks.

Have a look here

Sales Rank Express is the premier sales rank checker, book monitor, and market research tool for authors, publishers, and other book creators and marketers. Quickly check Amazon sales rank and more for print books, Kindle books, and audiobooks on Amazon in the US or UK.

Links to similar sites are given a little way down.
                            Mick Reed

Whatever happened to scepticism?

Comment

• New site article

Here’s what I hope will be my final words on this subject. It will likely be read in academic institutions all over the place.

Some dreadful editing that introduces typos and at least one error that wasn’t in the submission. I never mentioned ‘11 poor women', just 'poor women’. Still never mind.

The Jack the Ripper murders are the most potent cold case ever. More than a century on from the first killing in 1888 they are still attracting global attention. Academics of many disciplines publish on…

Cheers
                              Mick Reed

Whatever happened to scepticism?

Comment

• Well Done

Excellent article Mick.

Sums things up very well.

Amanda

Comment

Working...
                                X